Largest College Football Attedance Drop In 34 Years

Last edited:
Advertisement
NFL players were never even on the field during the national anthem until 2001. College players are still in the locker room during the anthem today.

I have no problem playing the anthem before games. I don't really understand why but whatever, it doesn't make a difference to me either way. What I don't get are these huge, taxpayer funded, displays of military might before sports games. What purpose does buzzing the stadium in a billion dollar airplane serve before the kickoff of a football game? I'm already well aware of our nations' military might. I don't need to be reminded. It just seem like a huge waste of money.

NFL players were never even on the field during the national anthem until 2001. College players are still in the locker room during the anthem today.

I have no problem playing the anthem before games. I don't really understand why but whatever, it doesn't make a difference to me either way. What I don't get are these huge, taxpayer funded, displays of military might before sports games. What purpose does buzzing the stadium in a billion dollar airplane serve before the kickoff of a football game? I'm already well aware of our nations' military might. I don't need to be reminded. It just seem like a huge waste of money.

It is pretty bad-*** though.

Advertisement
It’s fascinating to me how peoples opinions can differ so much. Some people don’t want the national anthem played. Personally I think it’s the highlight of being at a game.

You need to get a hobby.

If you want to hear the national anthem played, spend 99 cents on iTunes.

The highlight of being at a game is THE GAME.

Seriously, look around at Joe Robbie next time, see how many people aren't singing, don't take their hats off, or are standing in line at a snack bar or toilet stall.

Almost 160,000 people went to Bristol Motor Speedway to watch VT play TN in 2016. Neither team was deserving of this kind of attendance. Why did 160k show then? Because it was an “event”. Think about it: their seats were much farther away and they certainly could have stayed home and watched; and unless you’ve been to a NASCAR event, you probably don’t know how hard it is to actually leave a race. Now, factor in that Bristol...is actually in the middle of nowhere (nowhere’s of VA, TN, NC meet). But people went anyway. NASCAR’S core demographic.

But, when you look at NASCAR, it’s attendance and TV ratings have been in virtual free fall for nearly a decade. And in addition to an ACTUAL flyover (missing from most football games), there’s an anthem, a country music concert, a convocation and a parading of military personnel. Plus, a politician of only one of the two major party’s is always there. And, there isn’t a driver out there kneeling - ever. Yet, the attendance/ratings still fall.

Kneeling is a red-herring. Politics in this thread is unnecessary. CFB has the same battle for eyeballs that all sports are dealing with today (interestingly enough the NBA does well, LOL). The question is how to pack Hard Rock every game.

Yep.

I worked for the employer mentioned above, and I can guarantee you that NASCAR attendance and TV ratings are not declining over a lack of religious and patriotic celebration.

Nobody "takes a knee" in NASCAR and yet the numbers are still in freefall.

Some people are going to have to blame something else.

Again to America haters like you two it means nothing because neither of you truly care about this country. You don’t care about it’s protection, you don’t care about our judeo Christian beliefs that this great country was founded on. Really what you two want clearly is communism. You know where all religion and freedoms are banned, where country pride is banned and all that matters is the government and its state run programs. Again it’s people like you two and your whacked out views are why the dems lost, both of you our so out of touch with America and would probably be better off moving to San Francisco and joining antifa. Here’s a news flash, the patriotism before games is not supposed to be political, it’s meant to honor those who have made the ulitimate sacrifice so we can sit there and watch a football in peace. The only people that think it’s political are the “America hating LEFT”. Which again is why the Democratic Party is In it’s worst position in this country in a almost a hundred years. Just stating facts!

I have to just laugh at your ignorance. You know nothing about me. Literally every accusation you make against me is false.

But, hey, keep it up, you prove your immaturity and ignorance with these outstanding posts.

Advertisement
The marching band decided to take a knee this past year at an ECU homegame. There was quite a backlash. The Chancellor and AD originally supported them, then after public outcry changed their tune quickly.

I’m a Vet and I find it extremely disrespectful and down right un American liberal “I hate America” trash! Don’t ever think you speak for me or any veteran as you obviously didn’t have the courage to sign up and actually fight for the freedom we all are blessed to live under. Sounds like you would be the better person to move to North Korea because it’s very clear that your “Hate America movement” is very strong there as well.

Maybe you should learn to read better before talking ****. I said I personally know many vets(including my father who is a Marine) and none of them are offended. I did not say none of them. Later on in the thread I stated that I am sure many vets are upset I just don't personally know any. It has nothing to do with courage. It is becoming harder and harder to join the military now because they have so many applicants. If the country was about to have a draft and really needed more troops then I would join, but at this point in time why would I take the job from someone who needs it more then me?

Again to America haters like you two it means nothing because neither of you truly care about this country. You don’t care about it’s protection, you don’t care about our judeo Christian beliefs that this great country was founded on. Really what you two want clearly is communism. You know where all religion and freedoms are banned, where country pride is banned and all that matters is the government and its state run programs. Again it’s people like you two and your whacked out views are why the dems lost, both of you our so out of touch with America and would probably be better off moving to San Francisco and joining antifa. Here’s a news flash, the patriotism before games is not supposed to be political, it’s meant to honor those who have made the ulitimate sacrifice so we can sit there and watch a football in peace. The only people that think it’s political are the “America hating LEFT”. Which again is why the Democratic Party is In it’s worst position in this country in a almost a hundred years. Just stating facts!

This is where you are 100% wrong. I grew up in a very christian household and in that household we learned though shall not kill. All of the Police brutality supporters like yourself seem to think its OK to kill innocent people because they are poor. Also, how is taking away wellfare and affordable healthcare a Christian thing to do? I see all the conservatives talking about how good Christians they are when in reality the liberals are a lot more like Jesus wants us to be. Before you call me a communist, educate yourself first. Wanting to help the less fortunate is not communist its being a good Christian. Now get off your high horse.

Last edited:
Oh so now we’re racists because we believe in honoring the flag and soldiers of “all races” that have served it and given there lives for it? Ok dip****, sounds like you’re the one with a tiny world view. I’m a minority and a veteran and your comment makes sick but I’m not surprised to hear that from some like you who was probably a coward draft dodger. And if you think the NFL isn’t concerned about turning off over half of America then I suggest you take a course in business/advertising/economics you ignorant fool!

I believe anyone that ignores the protest and makes it about “patriotism” is a racist who hides behind a flag. I also am a minority. If my opinion offends you then you should ask yourself, why? It’s one thing to disagree but to be offended? Hmmm...

My great grandfather was a general in the Civil War (has a street named after him in Massachusetts). My grandfather (pilot) served. I have two cousins who served (one in Iraq) that would disagree with you completely about the players protest. It doesn’t offend them.

In addition, funny you mentioned it, I am a Marketing major who has worked for a professional sports team and a sports agency. The NFL is not worried about their “PR” and their contract with FOX trumps all the right wingers theory that they are impacting anything. But carry on...

Btw, thanks for serving.

Advertisement
This is where you are 100% wrong. I grew up in a very christian household and in that household we learned though shall not kill. All of the Police brutality supporters like yourself seem to think its OK to kill innocent people because they are poor. Also, how is taking away wellfare and affordable healthcare a Christian thing to do? I see all the conservatives talking about how good Christians they are when in reality the liberals are a lot more like Jesus wants us to be. Before you call me a communist, educate yourself first. Wanting to help the less fortunate is not communist its being a good Christian. Now get off your high horse.
And here you are misquoting the Bible. It states though shall not Murder. It says nothing about killing, as killing is permitted when defending yourself, your family/friends/other innocent citizens, and of course your country against evil aggressors. I of course am NOT a supporter of killing/brutality of innocent people but I am a supporter in a matter of last resort of killing someone who poses a deadly threat to me or any fellow citizens of this country. Or the world for that matter.

I believe anyone that ignores the protest and makes it about “patriotism” is a racist who hides behind a flag. I also am a minority. If my opinion offends you then you should ask yourself, why? It’s one thing to disagree but to be offended? Hmmm...

My great grandfather was a general in the Civil War (has a street named after him in Massachusetts). My grandfather (pilot) served. I have two cousins who served (one in Iraq) that would disagree with you completely about the players protest. It doesn’t offend them.

In addition, funny you mentioned it, I am a Marketing major who has worked for a professional sports team and a sports agency. The NFL is not worried about their “PR” and their contract with FOX trumps all the right wingers theory that they are impacting anything. But carry on...

Btw, thanks for serving.

Well that’s your cousins opinions, not mine. And I can assure you as an actually veteran, the VAST majority of us and when I say us I mean all of us veterans regardless of race are very offended. Every single soldier I served with In The 82nd is deeply offended by it, black, white, and brown. And in my opinion it’s you sir who are the racist for calling someone who respects the flag and loves this country a racist because there patriotic. Just my opinion and you can take or leave it.

And here you are misquoting the Bible. It states though shall not Murder. It says nothing about killing, as killing is permitted when defending yourself, your family/friends/other innocent citizens, and of course your country against evil aggressors. I of course am NOT a supporter of killing/brutality of innocent people but I am a supporter in a matter of last resort of killing someone who poses a deadly threat to me or any fellow citizens of this country. Or the world for that matter.

I did misqoute thanks for correcting me. I agree with you on all points. However, nfl players are not standing against military killing terrorists. Or police killing gang members that are trying to take their life. They get upset when officers murder innocent unarmed civilians and get off scott free. It happens on a very regular basis yet no one seems to care. People like to skew the argument and say they are disrespecting the military when it is very clear that they are standing against the murders of innocent civilians. I strongly support our military and appreciate them putting their life on the line for us(as do most NFL players). I do not support murdering innocent civilians.

Advertisement
Well that’s your cousins opinions, not mine. And I can assure you as an actually veteran, the VAST majority of us and when I say us I mean all of us veterans regardless of race are very offended. Every single soldier I served with In The 82nd is deeply offended by it, black, white, and brown. And in my opinion it’s you sir who are the racist for calling someone who respects the flag and loves this country a racist because there patriotic. Just my opinion and you can take or leave it.

Just like you said you cannot speak for all veterans. My father constantly has active duty marines over and the shooting range I belong too is 90% veterans. I know 0 that feel disrespected.

Btw, thanks for serving.
LOL... please forgive me if I think that you are not stating fact. You say that going back to your great grandfather and a grandfather (probably dead), to now your living cousins, that kneeling for the flag doesn't offend them. Well I find that hard to believe, because all of the veterans that I have been in contact with and that I have spoke with, the families of those veterans, and most law abiding respectable people that I encounter not only dislike the kneeling thing, some are also boycotting the NFL completely or others have reduced the amount of games they watch.
I believe that some people who are liberals are saying that they don't care simply because Trump said what he said about it and they want to discredit him. It's sad that politics is now dividing us and creating an indifferent culture of people who think that disrespecting the country is a right and is acceptable.
On the other hand I do understand what originalgatorhater stated in his posts, he seems to be honest and I respect him for that.

I didn’t even read any of this political argument, but diminishing sports attendance in general is due to a better TV product, and a lazy consumer. You can see a game in your Canes underwear eating cheetos on your beanbag chair, instead of driving over to Joe Robbie Stadium and paying $40 to park.

I live for the tailgate, but most people are lazy and couch bound.

Yep.

I worked for the employer mentioned above, and I can guarantee you that NASCAR attendance and TV ratings are not declining over a lack of religious and patriotic celebration.

Nobody "takes a knee" in NASCAR and yet the numbers are still in freefall.

Some people are going to have to blame something else.

It’s bec
You need to get a hobby.

If you want to hear the national anthem played, spend 99 cents on iTunes.

The highlight of being at a game is THE GAME.

Seriously, look around at Joe Robbie next time, see how many people aren't singing, don't take their hats off, or are standing in line at a snack bar or toilet stall.

Nah, actually I like what I like & you like what you like. I enjoy the national anthem. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just as you’re entitled to what you believe & enjoy.

Advertisement
Back