Largest College Football Attedance Drop In 34 Years

Advertisement
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ion-with-largest-attendance-drop-in-34-years/

Canes averaged 58,682 a game this year (up from last year and up from 47,561 in 2015), so suck it NCAA.
I
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ion-with-largest-attendance-drop-in-34-years/

Canes averaged 58,682 a game this year (up from last year and up from 47,561 in 2015), so suck it NCAA.

Interesting about student attendance with a 7% decline. I figured most of it would be because of ticket prices/ required donations.

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned this because it’s one of the first things I thought of.

Alabama’s total dominance of the college football landscape has taken a good chunk of the mystery out of college football. Even when Miami dominated, there was still a lot of excitement going on, in part because people loved to hate us.

And not to bash them because I do give them props, as well as Saban, for his coaching, organization skills, and for building the most professional college juggernaut ever seen in the history of college football.

That’s just it though, it’s a professional organization. There is nothing amateur about it, and as with anything professional that is properly run, the more you spend the greater the return.

There are only maybe four or five schools that can spend anywhere in the neighborhood of Alabama. Miami is nowhere close to those schools. Miami is lucky to have 1/5 the amount of available funds that Alabama does to run its operations. And that’s funds that are publicly known.

The only saving grace for schools like Miami, is that we have to bank on the law of diminishing returns. Let’s hope.

Advertisement
The right-wingers are going to claim that this is because of all the college football players taking a knee during the anthem.

Well if the players did, then yes, Americans would start boycotting college games. If you don’t think the NFL is scared as **** and very worried, you don’t understand the business. Sports is not the place to inflict your social justice views on the rest of us.

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned this because it’s one of the first things I thought of.

Alabama’s total dominance of the college football landscape has taken a good chunk of the mystery out of college football. Even when Miami dominated, there was still a lot of excitement going on, in part because people loved to hate us.

And not to bash them because I do give them props, as well as Saban, for his coaching, organization skills, and for building the most professional college juggernaut ever seen in the history of college football.

That’s just it though, it’s a professional organization. There is nothing amateur about it, and as with anything professional that is properly run, the more you spend the greater the return.

There are only maybe four or five schools that can spend anywhere in the neighborhood of Alabama. Miami is nowhere close to those schools. Miami is lucky to have 1/5 the amount of available funds that Alabama does to run its operations. And that’s funds that are publicly known.

The only saving grace for schools like Miami, is that we have to bank on the law of diminishing returns. Let’s hope.

SEC had it's worst attendance since 2005 and lowest per game attendance since 1992. Everyone in that conference outside of UGA and Auburn is tired of Bama.

Also the lack of alcohol in these stadiums is killing the bottom line.

Well if the players did, then yes, Americans would start boycotting college games. If you don’t think the NFL is scared as **** and very worried, you don’t understand the business. Sports is not the place to inflict your social justice views on the rest of us.

So by this logic, we should just do away with all military fly overs and dragging soliders and their families out on the field and all that non-sports stuff should be gone.

Or is it that you just don't want "social justice" that goes against your tiny world view?

Advertisement
The political aspect of this is irrelevant for the college game.

In the NFL it may or may not be relevant as far as declining attendance, but it’s totally irrelevant in the college context.

The players could burn crosses in the middle of Bryant–Denny and Alabama would still put 100K in the building every Saturday.

The players could burn crosses in the middle of Bryant–Denny and Alabama would still put 100K in the building every Saturday.

I actually think cross burning would bring up attendance numbers at every stadium. Would be the hottest ticket in town if they stoned abortion providers though.

Seriously though, mid-major FBS expansion probably drags down the number. MAC, Sun Belt, etc. are a complete joke. Schools are hemmoraghing money.

So by this logic, we should just do away with all military fly overs and dragging soliders and their families out on the field and all that non-sports stuff should be gone.

Or is it that you just don't want "social justice" that goes against your tiny world view?

Whenever I hear one of those mouth breathers complain about a fellow citizen standing up for injustice, all I can think about is the subtext. The subtext of "You're here to entertain, dance for us you awful *****". It's cowardly to hide behind the flag, knowing full well that protecting and honoring constitutionally protected rights should be the thing that all of us agree on.

Advertisement

NFL just signed a ridiculous TV deal with Fox. They ain’t scared of ****. All the angry racists of this country are going to have to deal with the NFL for a looooooooong time.

NFL just signed a ridiculous TV deal with Fox. They ain’t scared of ****. All the angry racists of this country are going to have to deal with the NFL for a looooooooong time.

They have a sport in which they jerk off about "Doing things the right way", it's baseball and for the most part, no one under the age of 70 gives a ****.

SEC had it's worst attendance since 2005 and lowest per game attendance since 1992. Everyone in that conference outside of UGA and Auburn is tired of Bama.

Also the lack of alcohol in these stadiums is killing the bottom line.

But but but I was told "it just means more" in the mighty SEC!

Advertisement

The other advantage is that we are one of maybe 3 schools(UCLA and USC being the other two) that are in places players would want to live if everything else is equal. No player would choose to live in Alabama or Georgia(except mayby a few lineman with rural backgrounds) over Miami if they didn't have a better shot at a NC, bags, etc.

I know a ton of vets and none of them feel disrespected by them kneeling to protest police brutality. They fought for their right to do that. If you dont like free speech you could always move to a different country whose views align with yours, such as North Korea.

I think our attendance will only be going up.

Our admissions/application apparently got a big bump this year, and with the way recruiting is going and the way the seasons have played out I see us continuing our rise, and with that our attendance figures will contiinue to rise. having more students enrolled, only increases the likelihood of better student support at home games, across all sports.

I think our attendance will be down this yr simply because of our very weak home schedule. Last yr ND and Vt were sold out. This yr FSU will be sold out but the rest of the crowds will be weak.

Advertisement
Back