Largest College Football Attedance Drop In 34 Years

I think our attendance will only be going up.

Our admissions/application apparently got a big bump this year, and with the way recruiting is going and the way the seasons have played out I see us continuing our rise, and with that our attendance figures will contiinue to rise. having more students enrolled, only increases the likelihood of better student support at home games, across all sports.
You see our home schedule this year? ******* thing sucks.

Also football is dying sport. Ask a 17 year old how many NFL games they watch start to finish.

Advertisement
I know a ton of vets and none of them feel disrespected by them kneeling to protest police brutality. They fought for their right to do that. If you dont like free speech you could always move to a different country whose views align with yours, such as North Korea.

I find this post amusing. You apparently know a "ton of vets" and amazingly not a singling one shares a view other than yours. Simply baffling as when you put tons of people together you get contrasting views, unless you are in perhaps North Korea.

Then you mock the QP about free speech essentially taking away his right of free speech. Like his view or not, it is his right to express it under free speech, unless you feel those that oppose your opinion should be in North Korea?

Your views sound very liberal, am I close?

What role does the wide spread availability of TV have on this? Almost any game can be seen on a media outlet. Also, there is the proliferation of games on Tuesday, wednesday and thursday night which must affect attendance. Alums less likely to travel to a midweek game.

Well if the players did, then yes, Americans would start boycotting college games. If you don’t think the NFL is scared as **** and very worried, you don’t understand the business. Sports is not the place to inflict your social justice views on the rest of us.

You are a complete buffoon. I was being sarcastic. The college players did not protest like the NFL players protested.

The sarcastic comment was directed at idiots like you who claim that right-wingers are "boycotting" the NFL when the reality is that TVs, sofas, and fantasy football have been causing an NFL attendance decline for years, and TiVo, sports bars, and group-watch parties have been responsible for the TV ratings declines.

Eat your own right-leaning d!ck.

Advertisement
I think our attendance will only be going up.

Our admissions/application apparently got a big bump this year, and with the way recruiting is going and the way the seasons have played out I see us continuing our rise, and with that our attendance figures will contiinue to rise. having more students enrolled, only increases the likelihood of better student support at home games, across all sports.

I went to UM in the 1980s and 1990s. We will never have "more students enrolled". We have not increased the undergraduate population at all. In fact, under Tad Foote, we CUT the number of undergrads in the early 1980s, and it has never gone up since.

Undergrads are the only ones who are required to pay the Athletic Fee. When I was an MBA and law student at UM, I was in the minority of graduate students who chose to pay the fee.

If anything, the increase in applications for admission will lead to a more highly-qualified student body, made up of a higher percentage of people who are indifferent to sports. Heck, it was even happening in the 1980s, those of us who loved UM sports were hard-pressed to drag our fellow students to games. I used to sit behind the bench at the basketball games in the Knight Center BECAUSE NOBODY ELSE WAS THERE.

Declining overall attendance? HDTV, and the fact that you can see almost every game from your couch.

Yep, I've been a season ticket holder longer than most of you have been alive and I know "die-hards" that will now skip a home game vs an "average" opponent to sit home and watch it on TV, then have the ability to see all the other games around the country as well.

The first thing I thought about is that as college football is currently constructed, it's just the same handful of teams every year that have a real shot at winning anything. A school like Alabama has tons of money/resources to begin with, and when you add the whole disgusting bag man thing that no one at the NCAA wants to bother connecting the dots with......you get the current state of college football. I think the fans of most schools that either don't have Alabama-type money or have it, but just don't want to spend all of it on football, realize that their teams have practically ZERO chance of winning a title, so they understandably lose interest.

Yes, football is also a slowly dying sport, and I think that has something to do with it too...and TV of course, but the unequal $ playing field is the main reason, I think.

As others have said, the only reason a school like Miami has any chance at all of leveling the playing field is because of its location.

Advertisement
The other advantage is that we are one of maybe 3 schools(UCLA and USC being the other two) that are in places players would want to live if everything else is equal. No player would choose to live in Alabama or Georgia(except mayby a few lineman with rural backgrounds) over Miami if they didn't have a better shot at a NC, bags, etc.

I was in Tuscaloosa last year. Very nice campus and walkable college town. Great on campus stadium. Beautiful girls. It's not fair to say that players wouldn't go to Bama if not for better shot at title and bags.

It really depends on where you live when saying Football is a dying sport. Football is definitely not a dying sport in inner city South Florida and Atlanta, but that's neither here or there, and a completely different topic. Football has been around since the 1800's, and if you think it's going anywhere, you're sadly mistaken. Society will always love Gladiator sports. It's been like since the beginning of time, and will be at the end. Blame Direct TV and Live Streaming for the decline in attendance. A drop in Attendance didn't have **** to do with Social platforms. Pretty much every professional league, other than Soccer in the European leagues had a drop in their attendance. Agreed as to why Miami attendance rose. The ND and VT games were big games, but the VA game the following week still produced 50K.

Well if the players did, then yes, Americans would start boycotting college games. If you don’t think the NFL is scared as **** and very worried, you don’t understand the business. Sports is not the place to inflict your social justice views on the rest of us.

Fox just ponied up $550 million for crappy TNF games. I think the NFL's business interests are just fine.

The NFL is worried about concussions and to a much lesser extent cord-cutting and the general lifestyle habits of milennials/young people. But the facts never deter a tiny but disproportionately vocal segment of self-important conspiracy theorists from spinning false narratives about why ratings are falling.

I think our attendance will be down this yr simply because of our very weak home schedule. Last yr ND and Vt were sold out. This yr FSU will be sold out but the rest of the crowds will be weak.
I think our average attendance for the lower level games will continue to go up as long as we keep winning. Our attendance was alright for some of our B games last year.

Advertisement
Lots of good points. TV broadcasting almost every single game definitely makes a difference. As does the cost of attending games. ($30 to park, $10 for a beer and that's not even counting the ticket price, which for Miami is still reasonable). Another thing I've noticed is the drop in home/home series between powerhouse programs. Nowadays, they play these big non conference games at neutral sites instead of one of the teams' home field. I imagine the attendance numbers for 2018 would look a lot different if LSU was coming to Hard Rock instead of playing that game in Dallas. We get stuck with non-conference home games against teams like Toledo or FIU while the biggest non conference games of the year are played somewhere else.

I was in Tuscaloosa last year. Very nice campus and walkable college town. Great on campus stadium. Beautiful girls. It's not fair to say that players wouldn't go to Bama if not for better shot at title and bags.

LOL

OK chief

I’ve been there.

Yes, there’s a bubble that extends around the campus for a couple of miles. Nicely manicured and maintained. Pretty landscaping. Some cool sandwich shops, bars and restaurants. Just stay within the Stepford bubble for the four years you are there and you can even pretend you’re not in KKK land. Except all you have to do is give a little scratch beneath the surface, and you see what’s beneath the fake smiles, and the “how y’all doin’ today”.

It’s all so nice and wonderful that Alabama players NEVER return.

NEVER.

So by this logic, we should just do away with all military fly overs and dragging soliders and their families out on the field and all that non-sports stuff should be gone.

Or is it that you just don't want "social justice" that goes against your tiny world view?

Exactly.... I think we need to do away with all that pointless bs. Don't give af about hearing the boring *** national anthem every game. And don't want to see any military tributes either... shxt is ridiculous perform that **** during the state of the union or at town hall meetings. I'm trying to watch sports I don't care about all the fake displays of patriotism.

Advertisement
Exactly.... I think we need to do away with all that pointless bs. Don't give af about hearing the boring *** national anthem every game. And don't want to see any military tributes either... shxt is ridiculous perform that **** during the state of the union or at town hall meetings. I'm trying to watch sports I don't care about all the fake displays of patriotism.

Sorry I didn't realize that the national anthem should be "lit" would you then be "woke". If you don't understand the point of the anthem or military tributes, the just ask as opposed to showing your ignorance.

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned this because it’s one of the first things I thought of.

Alabama’s total dominance of the college football landscape has taken a good chunk of the mystery out of college football. Even when Miami dominated, there was still a lot of excitement going on, in part because people loved to hate us.

And not to bash them because I do give them props, as well as Saban, for his coaching, organization skills, and for building the most professional college juggernaut ever seen in the history of college football.

That’s just it though, it’s a professional organization. There is nothing amateur about it, and as with anything professional that is properly run, the more you spend the greater the return.

There are only maybe four or five schools that can spend anywhere in the neighborhood of Alabama. Miami is nowhere close to those schools. Miami is lucky to have 1/5 the amount of available funds that Alabama does to run its operations. And that’s funds that are publicly known.

The only saving grace for schools like Miami, is that we have to bank on the law of diminishing returns. Let’s hope.
My first thought was, "why watch. Just wait to see who the committee picks to play against Bama in the playoffs." Satan's efforts are only part of the reason. NCAA puts him in even when Bama shouldn't be there. Remember when LSU had to play them twice? How about this year when they didn't even win their own division. That doesn't even touch the complete lack of enforcement Bama travels under. Ticket prices was the second thing and the constant games on TV was third. Or it could just be that Bama and SEC have returned football to the same boring crap we destroyed.

Advertisement
Back