Largest College Football Attedance Drop In 34 Years

You need to get a hobby.

If you want to hear the national anthem played, spend 99 cents on iTunes.

The highlight of being at a game is THE GAME.

Seriously, look around at Joe Robbie next time, see how many people aren't singing, don't take their hats off, or are standing in line at a snack bar or toilet stall.

Basically grew up watching football at the OB. Watched games at Joe Robbie for years, and catch games at Everbank here and there now. Throughout that time people have been at the concession stand and in the restroom during the Nation Anthem. Never looked at it as disrespect, just bad timing. Just glad we are in a country where we are not forced to be in a certain area and act in a certain way to show our respect. I do not agree with not removing hats, respecting the anthem or flag, but I guess I look at our freedom differently than others, and show my respect the way I feel it is appropriate. Respect the right of others to do what they feel is appropriate even if I do not necessarily agree.

The issue I see in your post, and much of your thread is intolerance. If sports deem the majority of the population appreciates the National Anthem, celebrating heros, and displaying our military power, so be it. It is not hurting anyone.

This tread tells people to eat a ****, and calls people idiots among other derogatory comments, if their opinions differ. I realize much is shtick, perhaps your comments are as well. If not, does it really matter your highlight vs his highlight? So many people in this country want to say they are tolerant, inclusive, and accepting of everyone, but as soon as someone has an opinion that differs, look out... time to get a new hobby.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think our attendance will only be going up.

Our admissions/application apparently got a big bump this year, and with the way recruiting is going and the way the seasons have played out I see us continuing our rise, and with that our attendance figures will contiinue to rise. having more students enrolled, only increases the likelihood of better student support at home games, across all sports.

The student body won't grow, the stats of the incoming classes will. This isn't a state school in which added applications=more kids admitted. Miami will hold at 10,000 undergrads, unless a lot of infrastructure building goes on. To maintain the professor/student ratio, Miami would have to hire additional staff, and I don't see that happening just because the football program is winning again.

The student body won't grow, the stats of the incoming classes will. This isn't a state school in which added applications=more kids admitted. Miami will hold at 10,000 undergrads, unless a lot of infrastructure building goes on. To maintain the professor/student ratio, Miami would have to hire additional staff, and I don't see that happening just because the football program is winning again.
Infrastructure is improving.

Infrastructure is improving.

It is improving, but I don't see Miami adding a ton of tenured professors to justify adding thousands of students. Unlike the typical diploma mill, Miami has to justify the cost, and you can't justify that when you have a bunch of Grad Students teaching classes. I don't think that the brass at Miami is interested in being an oversized private school like USC.

I didn’t even read any of this political argument, but diminishing sports attendance in general is due to a better TV product, and a lazy consumer. You can see a game in your Canes underwear eating cheetos on your beanbag chair, instead of driving over to Joe Robbie Stadium and paying $40 to park.

I live for the tailgate, but most people are lazy and couch bound.

If you're a fan of the sport that's willing to pay large sums of money to come here, you'd never give it up for some players protesting.

It's that the TV experience is so much better, wanting to watch multiple games at once, not being forced into paying big dollars for something that you already pay for to watch.

Anyone, and I mean anyone who gives up football for political reasons is a moron. Almost every single player is a liberal. Like super ******* liberal.

Advertisement
I went to UM in the 1980s and 1990s. We will never have "more students enrolled". We have not increased the undergraduate population at all. In fact, under Tad Foote, we CUT the number of undergrads in the early 1980s, and it has never gone up since.

In the fall of 1992 there were ~8,500 undergrads. This year there are over 11,000 undergrads.

One would think that someone so close to the university wouldn't be off by 2,800 students.

In the fall of 1992 there were ~8,500 undergrads. This year there are over 11,000 undergrads.

One would think that someone so close to the university wouldn't be off by 2,800 students.

Keep stalking me.

Full-time, main campus. Students who can go to football games. I'm not counting all the part-timers and people at other campuses, all the Baby Docs and whatnot.

I think it's funny that you think Coral Gables has allowed a 33% increase in full-time undergrads on the main campus.

Keep stalking me.

Full-time, main campus. Students who can go to football games. I'm not counting all the part-timers and people at other campuses, all the Baby Docs and whatnot.

I think it's funny that you think Coral Gables has allowed a 33% increase in full-time undergrads on the main campus.

I think it's funny that you ignore what the University publishes themselves. There isn't a new definition of "degree seeking undergraduate".

The best part is that you put in writing "total undergraduates". Total. Undergraduates. And you don't know the correct numbers. They have increased.

Advertisement
False..
The reason for bad attendance is because of the trend of ****** schedules. Every top team , including us, schedules to many cupcake teams that no one wants to see.
I don't know about that though. The regular season went from 11 to 12 in 02 I think. So that basically added another cupcake. But if you look at schedules in general teams haven't really scheduled more cupcakes than they had in the past. I just think the culture is changing in general especially with the rise of ticket prices and pretty much every game being on tv. If your team was only on tv 4 times a year you were basically forced to go to the games, listen to it on the radio, or wait to get updates. And now you can sit at home watch your game and any other big game on at the time. If you are at the game you maybe missing out on some good game elsewhere unless you are looking at it on your phone.

Last edited:
I was in Tuscaloosa last year. Very nice campus and walkable college town. Great on campus stadium. Beautiful girls. It's not fair to say that players wouldn't go to Bama if not for better shot at title and bags.
A lot of the people on this site over rate alabama .... I live in Tuscaloosa and been on ua campus more times than I can remember and it ain't no better or worse than any other campus. Is it a dump? No. But it ain't the resort some people on this site claim that it is .

Well if the players did, then yes, Americans would start boycotting college games. If you don’t think the NFL is scared as **** and very worried, you don’t understand the business. Sports is not the place to inflict your social justice views on the rest of us.
The NFL issue is inflamed by a certain someone who is still mad about 1: the USFL lawsuit and 2: he was rejected when the league looked at his finances in an attempt to buy the Buffalo Bills.

Advertisement
I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned this because it’s one of the first things I thought of.

Alabama’s total dominance of the college football landscape has taken a good chunk of the mystery out of college football. Even when Miami dominated, there was still a lot of excitement going on, in part because people loved to hate us.

And not to bash them because I do give them props, as well as Saban, for his coaching, organization skills, and for building the most professional college juggernaut ever seen in the history of college football.

That’s just it though, it’s a professional organization. There is nothing amateur about it, and as with anything professional that is properly run, the more you spend the greater the return.

There are only maybe four or five schools that can spend anywhere in the neighborhood of Alabama. Miami is nowhere close to those schools. Miami is lucky to have 1/5 the amount of available funds that Alabama does to run its operations. And that’s funds that are publicly known.

The only saving grace for schools like Miami, is that we have to bank on the law of diminishing returns. Let’s hope.
Amen. Cane teams were excitement defined. Bama is watching grass grow -- like most college football BEFORE Howard and Miami saved it. Plus, if you brought really talented well coached team into title game and the Canes were ranked higher and getting praised as gods, you could bet them sometimes with a little cheating. Lord help you when you were ranked number one playing the Canes. They owned those games and nothing could help you.

Today's teams are regional at best. Miami, like ND and the old USC teams before Miami was great were global. Playing Miami close and losing in exciting manner enable FSU to garner some global appeal also. Clemson, Bama, OSU, OU and the like are just really good teams, not world wide attention getting events. Imagine a playoff with the 80's Canes, FSU, ND and one of OU, NE, PSU. TV ratings would approach Super Bowl level. One thing, ND, OU, and FSU have been to playoffs without significant rating impact. Put the Canes in there and boom. Miami v Bama -rubber match between two greatest modern dynasties: Miami v OU bring our the Boz Barry and JJ and hang on; Miami V ND and every Catholic and convict in world is watching; Miami v FSU - nuff said.

I would put money down the if Miami makes playoffs, whatever game they are in will draw highest rating ever for the 4 game series. Who would miss the chance to see the possible second coming of that OB game where Miami was born. You could but Bama v Clemson on at the same time and Miami outdraws that game no matter who is on the other side.

Well if the players did, then yes, Americans would start boycotting college games. If you don’t think the NFL is scared as **** and very worried, you don’t understand the business. Sports is not the place to inflict your social justice views on the rest of us.

Can you help me find where in the US Constitution it says you can’t voice your opinion in a football game?

If you’re allowed an opinion — so does everyone else.

“America Right Wing” now = USSR Communists— literally — as your “Dear Leader” sells America out to Russia, Saudi Arabia and China.

Right wingers are literally the most stupid in our society. Too stupid to even know they are stupid and being played.

Amen. Cane teams were excitement defined. Bama is watching grass grow -- like most college football BEFORE Howard and Miami saved it. Plus, if you brought really talented well coached team into title game and the Canes were ranked higher and getting praised as gods, you could bet them sometimes with a little cheating. Lord help you when you were ranked number one playing the Canes. They owned those games and nothing could help you.

Today's teams are regional at best. Miami, like ND and the old USC teams before Miami was great were global. Playing Miami close and losing in exciting manner enable FSU to garner some global appeal also. Clemson, Bama, OSU, OU and the like are just really good teams, not world wide attention getting events. Imagine a playoff with the 80's Canes, FSU, ND and one of OU, NE, PSU. TV ratings would approach Super Bowl level. One thing, ND, OU, and FSU have been to playoffs without significant rating impact. Put the Canes in there and boom. Miami v Bama -rubber match between two greatest modern dynasties: Miami v OU bring our the Boz Barry and JJ and hang on; Miami V ND and every Catholic and convict in world is watching; Miami v FSU - nuff said.

I would put money down the if Miami makes playoffs, whatever game they are in will draw highest rating ever for the 4 game series. Who would miss the chance to see the possible second coming of that OB game where Miami was born. You could but Bama v Clemson on at the same time and Miami outdraws that game no matter who is on the other side.

America claims to hate the “Miami Swag” ... but they secretly love it.

Advertisement
Maybe other fans are screaming for season ticket holders not to renew when their teams underachieve.

Hopefully the NCAA will realize people are tired of Clemson, OSU, and Bama (lsu was 1 yr wonder). Bama isn't a compelling villain. Emmert will help engineer Miami's rise to the top again to be the ultimate heel. Casual fans will tune into to see the bad guys. I'm not sure if USC would be a heel or a face.

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned this because it’s one of the first things I thought of.

Alabama’s total dominance of the college football landscape has taken a good chunk of the mystery out of college football. Even when Miami dominated, there was still a lot of excitement going on, in part because people loved to hate us.

And not to bash them because I do give them props, as well as Saban, for his coaching, organization skills, and for building the most professional college juggernaut ever seen in the history of college football.

That’s just it though, it’s a professional organization. There is nothing amateur about it, and as with anything professional that is properly run, the more you spend the greater the return.

There are only maybe four or five schools that can spend anywhere in the neighborhood of Alabama. Miami is nowhere close to those schools. Miami is lucky to have 1/5 the amount of available funds that Alabama does to run its operations. And that’s funds that are publicly known.

The only saving grace for schools like Miami, is that we have to bank on the law of diminishing returns. Let’s hope.
I do bash them. Their coach leases cars to his players. His players post pictures on NSD with giant wads of cash. The NCAA does nothing ESPN does nothing. Neither wants to jeapordize the cash cow.

It’s all short term thinking as it has hollowed out the SEC. Rival coaches cannot compete and get fired, which sets up a spiral of rebuilds and failure that leave most schools in worse shape than before. And if a school tries to compete with Alabama in the bag game, the NCAA is sent upon them. Alabama’s dominance has made CFB boring and predictable.

It certainly can't be for their snake of a head coach. For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone wants to play for that lying scumbag.
It’s the 300 players he’s put into the NFL. I might be exaggerating, but it’s at the point where a third of the first round are Alabama players. At this point, going to Alabama is about getting into the League. It’s self perpetuating at this point.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back