If we are this undisciplined...

I agree with you, but its no longer just about administration will. The CFB landscape has changed in very profound ways in the last 20 yrs or so. Those changes have made it even more difficult for a small private university with limited resources to compete in a sport that has been dominated by state universities & blue bloods. That's the fact that has to be accepted here.
So you’re going to repeat yourself a millions times more? If Miami has no chance to compete because the landscape has “changed” then feel free to leave.

Advertisement
Best I got after 17 beers.

ezgif-1-57e0a33e1c0a.gif

Look, I've been following UM football since 1967. It was a **** program then and it was a **** program for most of its 40 year history before that.

In 1977, we were on the verge of dropping football, caught lightning in a bottle in 1979 and for 13 great years a miracle happened, 4 national titles in 9 years. Even with that greatness, the admins couldn't stand the bad publicity that went with our renegade program. They couldn't stand Jimmy Johnson.

Then we had a nice 4 or 5 year run until about 2005 and we've been pre 1980 horrible to watch garbage ever since.

In reality, this program, in its almost 100 year history has had a grand total of about 20 years of football relevance.

I for one, am grateful for the memories of totally unexpected national championships, but this university is not or never really was a football serious school. Isn't now and likely wont be in the future.

The attitude in Coral Gables is more in line with an Ivy League mindset without the Ivy League academics.

I will continue to follow the program but with the same expectations I had watching a garbage product I was accustomed to in the late 60s and 70s.

This is the sad truth.
Sticky this to the top.

Advertisement
Look, I've been following UM football since 1967. It was a **** program then and it was a **** program for most of its 40 year history before that.

In 1977, we were on the verge of dropping football, caught lightning in a bottle in 1979 and for 13 great years a miracle happened, 4 national titles in 9 years. Even with that greatness, the admins couldn't stand the bad publicity that went with our renegade program. They couldn't stand Jimmy Johnson.

Then we had a nice 4 or 5 year run until about 2005 and we've been pre 1980 horrible to watch garbage ever since.

In reality, this program, in its almost 100 year history has had a grand total of about 20 years of football relevance.

I for one, am grateful for the memories of totally unexpected national championships, but this university is not or never really was a football serious school. Isn't now and likely wont be in the future.

The attitude in Coral Gables is more in line with an Ivy League mindset without the Ivy League academics.

I will continue to follow the program but with the same expectations I had watching a garbage product I was accustomed to in the late 60s and 70s.

This is the sad truth.
This mirrors my experience to a tee - even the year we started following the team. Most on this board, and Canes fans in general, have no clue about the history of this football program pre-championships. The vast majority of today’s Canes became fans during the glory years or because of them afterwards.

Your statements are exactly the truth and the stark reality of what this program is and has been from it’s inception. To expect otherwise is unrealistic and setting oneself up for continual disappointment.

This mirrors my experience to a tee - even the year we started following the team. Most on this board, and Canes fans in general, have no clue about the history of this football program pre-championships. The vast majority of today’s Canes became fans during the glory years or because of them afterwards.

Your statements are exactly the truth and the stark reality of what this program is and has been from it’s inception. To expect otherwise is unrealistic and setting oneself up for continual disappointment.

Unless you were around UM athletics before the championship years (pre 1980s) you have no idea the true history of this university's lack of truly caring one way or another about winning in major sports. It never changed when we were winning championships and it hasn't changed after we stopped winning championships. Its just not important to the powers that be.

Advertisement
He is from Maine and we don’t have hockey
Interesting point. UMaine was a program that came out of the ashes. A Crappy program that jumped into Hockey East when it was formed and built a giant. Then the university system basically stopped caring and now Maine blows. They were a renegade type program, going up there for a weekend was an experience. Massive home ice advantage, intimidating squads and then poof. Gone. They had fans who loved that team, most didn’t even go to Maine. Young kids had Maine gear in every rink in the northeast…. Absolute giant. Gonzo, I miss the great Maine teams, hockey would be better if they were good again.

Sound familiar.

Unless you were around UM athletics before the championship years (pre 1980s) you have no idea the true history of this university's lack of truly caring one way or another about winning in major sports. It never changed when we were winning championships and it hasn't changed after we stopped winning championships. Its just not important to the powers that be.
Even during the championship years, the AD’s and the HC’s were at odds. To expect a small private university located about as far south as you can get in the US to compete with huge state sponsored universities with 40-50k student bodies, thousands upon thousands of alumni and thousands of boosters with deep pockets is totally unrealistic.

...with one of the most experienced teams in the nation, when is it supposed to get better?

Not much to say and I haven't had the stomach to rewatch. But at least two prominent boosters (possibly the two most prominent) are going to make a lot of noise this week. I know we've heard that before, but this is how it starts.

My only source of optimism is that coaches like Cristobal and Mullen wanted this job at one point. We can do better than what we've done. Hopefully we turn it around before we've erased the memory of what Miami can be.
It's over D... this is what happened to Nokia stock in the late 90s. We didn't adapt to the times. It's now been 20 years...

Advertisement
...with one of the most experienced teams in the nation, when is it supposed to get better?

Not much to say and I haven't had the stomach to rewatch. But at least two prominent boosters (possibly the two most prominent) are going to make a lot of noise this week. I know we've heard that before, but this is how it starts.

My only source of optimism is that coaches like Cristobal and Mullen wanted this job at one point. We can do better than what we've done. Hopefully we turn it around before we've erased the memory of what Miami can be.
Dysfunction and Self Destruction. The 2 staples of Manny Diaz football

Advertisement
This situation is as dead and bloated as possible. The context you mentioned is the reason. We have many reasons to be better in specific ways. We suck in all the ways we should be good. We need a complete clean slate.

The players are apathetic. It’s a disease and it needs to be completely eradicated.

Either Manny is feeding us bull**** about the guys playing for each other and not giving up, etc. or he is completely out of touch with his team.
All they do is post their personal “highlights” on social media after we get blown out. They did it after Bama and I’m already seeing it after today’s debacle. These guys don’t give a flying **** about losing, they’re all in it for themselves. Manny is so out of touch with the soft shouldered culture he’s fostering at Miami.

Last edited:
I agree with you, but its no longer just about administration will. The CFB landscape has changed in very profound ways in the last 20 yrs or so. Those changes have made it even more difficult for a small private university with limited resources to compete in a sport that has been dominated by state universities & blue bloods. That's the fact that has to be accepted here.
I disagree with this. With TV contracts schools are bringing in more revenue than they've ever seen before. The ACC Network pays each school over $30M per year. The problem is not funding, it's how the school chooses to allocate that money. We could easily pay a coach the necessary salary to not have to go bargain bin shopping. The problem is this school is not committed to winning. Like Solie said, Miami has an Ivy League mindset. They don't care whether or not the football program is successful. So they let mediocrity slide so long as the school isn't getting any bad publicity.

Advertisement
Back