If we are this undisciplined...

Advertisement
Manny is a minutia guy. He finds these small, inconsequential little things in the game and because that one thing was worked he is happy and we are improving. Watch his show on YouTube. He does it every week! It's bizarre... So I think that his how he gets around being the HC of a bad football team in his head. That is why there is no accountably with this team, or even a change of how things are done week to week.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. The University of Miami does not care about the football team's performance. They care about having the income stream of a nationally branded football team. The University has entered the state of ambivalence with the program. Unfortunately for all of us a mindset of mediocrity has set in with University.

What should happen you ask? The Miami athletic department should be gutted top to bottom. Bring in new blood that has a drive for winning. Then the new staff fires Manny, and starts the coaching search. James should not be allowed another HC hire, he has proven he is impotent with this task. The administration have to be brought into the here and now of today's college football reality. It can't be done on the cheap anymore. My idea is expensive which is why it will never happen with the program.

What will happen? Manny will be fired after this year to quite the plebeians complaining. James will hire another CokerShannonGoldenRichtDiaz amalgamation. The blood lust will be satiated. We will go back to the games wearing our green and orange crap. Then do this ALLLLLLLL OVER AGAIN in two years after the next guy is "even worse than Manny".

Even during the championship years, the AD’s and the HC’s were at odds. To expect a small private university located about as far south as you can get in the US to compete with huge state sponsored universities with 40-50k student bodies, thousands upon thousands of alumni and thousands of boosters with deep pockets is totally unrealistic.
I don’t fully buy that. Notre Dame is an equally small, private university and they are truly in the middle of nowhere. Admittedly, their alumni base remains much closer to campus and is obviously more invested. However, the major difference is their school leadership has always placed a premium on athletic success while ours has been the total opposite. Never understood why our admin didn’t see ND as a great example - good athletics doesn’t need to interfere with your academic reputation/pursuits.

Advertisement
I don’t fully buy that. Notre Dame is an equally small, private university and they are truly in the middle of nowhere. Admittedly, their alumni base remains much closer to campus and is obviously more invested. However, the major difference is their school leadership has always placed a premium on athletic success while ours has been the total opposite. Never understood why our admin didn’t see ND as a great example - good athletics doesn’t need to interfere with your academic reputation/pursuits.
My only question is how many NC’s has ND won recently?

...with one of the most experienced teams in the nation, when is it supposed to get better?

Not much to say and I haven't had the stomach to rewatch. But at least two prominent boosters (possibly the two most prominent) are going to make a lot of noise this week. I know we've heard that before, but this is how it starts.

My only source of optimism is that coaches like Cristobal and Mullen wanted this job at one point. We can do better than what we've done. Hopefully we turn it around before we've erased the memory of what Miami can be.
I can’t watch these games again, it pains me to know everyone knows on the sideline the PASSION is gone.

Ray Lewis quote before a Super Bowl:

As the team circled around him

“ FEEL MY PASSION FEEL IT “

We are consumed with PRIDE of selfishness PRIDE BEFORE FALL

YOUR WITNESSING PRIDE KILLING A TEAM.

“ YOU CANNOT BE EXALTED UNLESS YOU EXALT OTHERS FIRST”

These words I know are strange to many here but to Champions there the HEART BEAT of a teams success.

Till this team sacrifices everything for others this will repeat constantly it will never stop

My only question is how many NC’s has ND won recently?
To partially answer your separate question there are a host of reasons likely for that from geography (who in their right mind would want to live in South Bend) to the fact that their brand isn’t very meaningful to young kids (same with ours) - they don’t dominate coverage like they were able to do back a few decades ago. But it isn’t because of their private status or undergrad size.

But back to the original question - their school admin has always seen the value of successful sports programs and when you look at their football program, mens and women’s hoops, and baseball they are so much stronger than us across the board It isn’t funny.

To partially answer your separate question there are a host of reasons likely for that from geography (who in their right mind would want to live in South Bend) to the fact that their brand isn’t very meaningful to young kids (same with ours) - they don’t dominate coverage like they were able to do back a few decades ago. But it isn’t because of their private status or undergrad size.

But back to the original question - their school admin has always seen the value of successful sports programs and when you look at their football program, mens and women’s hoops, and baseball they are so much stronger than us across the board It isn’t funny.
Comparing apples and oranges here. I agree wholeheartedly about the premise the value they place on their sports programs. They also have a long history of success dating back decades and have capitalized on their storied history. Miami has a short history of success compared to theirs.

The only geographical advantage Miami has is the hot bed of football talent surrounding it. Schnelly took advantage of that talent and now many others are. ND has recruited nationally for years using their past success as their main tool to lure recruits and their academic standing. Being located in South Bend doesn’t seem to have discouraged players at all.

Advertisement
Comparing apples and oranges here. I agree wholeheartedly about the premise the value they place on their sports programs. They also have a long history of success dating back decades and have capitalized on their storied history. Miami has a short history of success compared to theirs.

The only geographical advantage Miami has is the hot bed of football talent surrounding it. Schnelly took advantage of that talent and now many others are. ND has recruited nationally for years using their past success as their main tool to lure recruits and their academic standing. Being located in South Bend doesn’t seem to have discouraged players at all.
I do think there is a modern-day South Bend disadvantage that is partly a result of their lack of dominating coverage. When there were only a few nationally televised games available each week it was a guarantee that ND was one of them - even when their on-the-field product didn’t warrant it. That made that terrible location something more desirable on top of the pageantry, etc. Today, that just isn’t the case given the visibility of so many programs on a weekly basis; thus, an 18 yo out of SoCal doesn’t look at them or their location the same as his father may have back in the day. Makes ND recruiting successes of late that much more impressive.

Regardless, our admin for some reason doesn’t see the value of athletics to the broader success of the university snd not only is that a shame for all of us on this board…it’s just not smart business.

They know exactly who it starts with. At least one of them calls Blake a “cuck “ to his face.
And then the alarm sounded and he woke up.

These boosters have tolerated this for YEARS. Frankly, they should have fired Blake the moment he even suggested Diaz, without conducting even a cursory search. What I don't get(and honestly can't believe) is if the boosters had the money to hire Mario in the first place, why didn't they just say "We won't support this hire, and we will use our financial and political resources to ensure that both you and Manny are fired". That would have given James pause, because honestly, he's a gutless coward.

More money to a bad coach is not gonna make us better. We have seen schools pour money into bad staffs. Like Texas and ND before Kelly. And even Bama before Saban. We need a proper coach that inspires enthusiam from the fanbase. Then he can say what is holding him back and we can get behind it. Alot of things people are saying are problems, a proper coach don't care about it. Bad coaches use pereferral issues to make excuse for their terrible coaching and development. Remember how the IPF was supposed to make us move into the 21st century.

It was needed but it didn't make Diaz a better coach. It seems it made our players more soft. We now have a better and noiser stadium, still struggling with App St and got swamped by UNC and Mich St.

Get a proper coach

Advertisement
These boosters want Blake James gone as much as they want Manny gone. They have had it.
I would think so. FB, BB & BB all pathetic. Football is the biggest embarrassment of all and for yesterday to be a national game only made it worse. You don't raise money for the U and put fans in the seats with this kind of a program.

...with one of the most experienced teams in the nation, when is it supposed to get better?

Not much to say and I haven't had the stomach to rewatch. But at least two prominent boosters (possibly the two most prominent) are going to make a lot of noise this week. I know we've heard that before, but this is how it starts.

My only source of optimism is that coaches like Cristobal and Mullen wanted this job at one point. We can do better than what we've done. Hopefully we turn it around before we've erased the memory of what Miami can be.
A tradition unlike any other. The old, “privately, some prominent boosters are very unhappy”. Enough of this bull**** already.

Advertisement
I disagree with this. With TV contracts schools are bringing in more revenue than they've ever seen before. The ACC Network pays each school over $30M per year. The problem is not funding, it's how the school chooses to allocate that money. We could easily pay a coach the necessary salary to not have to go bargain bin shopping. The problem is this school is not committed to winning. Like Solie said, Miami has an Ivy League mindset. They don't care whether or not the football program is successful. So they let mediocrity slide so long as the school isn't getting any bad publicity.

The biggest disparity in revenue between programs is ticket sales, donor contributions, and state funding.

This whole notion that MIA is INTENTIONALLY choosing to field a mediocre football program is ridiculous. This university has divested & siphoned resources away from football because it was forced to. The explosion in revenue that has occurred in CFB within the last 20 yrs has created a situation where the divide between the elite programs and everyone else has become so significant, that in order to bridge it, this university would essentially have to prioritize football at the EXPENSE of academics. Which is an absurd expectation, because the main priority for any university has to be academics first & foremost.

The ivy league argument would make sense, if universities like ND & USC didn't spank MIA in academics AND allocate more resources to athletics. They realize that a successful football program is an overall net benefit, in terms of added revenue, exposure, and applicants. This university's administration also understands this simple concept. The issue is, the program has simply been priced out the market, and its options have become limited. The last 20 yrs of this program's history prove this reality to you as clear as day. They are making the bare minimum amount of investment in order to acquire a guaranteed revenue stream. Nothing more

Look, I've been following UM football since 1967. It was a **** program then and it was a **** program for most of its 40 year history before that.

In 1977, we were on the verge of dropping football, caught lightning in a bottle in 1979 and for 13 great years a miracle happened, 4 national titles in 9 years. Even with that greatness, the admins couldn't stand the bad publicity that went with our renegade program. They couldn't stand Jimmy Johnson.

Then we had a nice 4 or 5 year run until about 2005 and we've been pre 1980 horrible to watch garbage ever since.

In reality, this program, in its almost 100 year history has had a grand total of about 20 years of football relevance.

I for one, am grateful for the memories of totally unexpected national championships, but this university is not or never really was a football serious school. Isn't now and likely wont be in the future.

The attitude in Coral Gables is more in line with an Ivy League mindset without the Ivy League academics.

I will continue to follow the program but with the same expectations I had watching a garbage product I was accustomed to in the late 60s and 70s.

This is the sad truth.
@gordonsolie ....Cot **** Bro...I haven't heard from you since Grassy Days...Hope all is well my man...

Advertisement
Back