If we are this undisciplined...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Gordon interviewed you @SWFLHurricane - don’t you remember???

BE738081-F7A0-4F9B-808D-C6FA977E1841.jpeg

Advertisement
Matlacha baby!!!!
My favorite Matlacha memory:

This was my senior year in high school, it was a couple nights before Chrismas and there was nothing going on in Punta Gorda. My buddy Stormin' Norman (Handsome guy who needed a night's break from his girlfriend ) and I were deciding what we should do. We remembered there was a basketball tournament at North Ft Myers- Charlotte wasn't in it, but we were bored. We had previously noticed the NFM Cheerleaders on the sideline during a timeout during our Turkey Bowl game a month before. We both said at the time, they were a bunch of lookers who had some moves (Almost as good as our home girls, the Tarpon cheerleaders). We decided to run down and watch them rock their gym.

We walk into the NFM gym and a couple of Red Knight football payers recognized us, we were after all in Tarpon letter jackets. We knew them pretty good, had even shared some beers one night. They said, "You guys aren't even in this tournament, and we're playing Cypress Lake" (another rocking squad in the days of a dance move they incorporated into their routines called, the four corners/ popcorn). We told them we came to watch their cheerleaders.

They said, "come on." Moved some people and sat us eye-level with the squad. The captain is watching them make room for us and asks, "What are you guys doing here, you're not even in the tournament?" We were both Rico Suave looking back then and told them "We like your squad and came to watch you guys tonight!" Big, big smile and did those ladies put on a show. Cypress was over across the floor rocking it too.

After the game (Can't even tell you who won) we told them how much we enjoyed the show. Hugs, and we jump in the car to head home. One runs out just as we're pulling off and said, "We're having our cheerleading party tonight out at Matlacha - why don't you guys come and party with us?" Oh **** yeah! So we followed them out, pull up to this old Cypress beamed house with water on two sides, hundreds of Stone Crab traps in the yard and Australian pines and a coupe of boats. No idea where the parents were.

Turns out only two of the seven girls had guys with them, it was supposed to be squad only party. OMG what a night - this song started paying in my head the minute I stepped out of the car onto that bed of pine needles. Norm's dad was the 41 bridge tender over the Peace River. We were arriving home as the sun was coming up, and he was walking from the bridge tender's house after his shift to his parked car, so Norm ducked down so he wouldn't be seen.

Last edited:

This was my senior year in high school, it was a couple nights before Chrismas and there was nothing going on in Punta Gorda. My buddy Stormin' Norman (Handsome guy who needed a night's break from his girlfriend ) and I were deciding what we should do. We remembered there was a basketball tournament at North Ft Myers- Charlotte wasn't in it, but we were bored. We had previously noticed the NFM Cheerleaders on the sideline during a timeout during our Turkey Bowl game a month before. We both said at the time, they were a bunch of lookers who had some moves (Almost as good as our home girls, the Tarpon cheerleaders). We decided to run down and watch them rock their gym.

We walk into the NFM gym and a couple of Red Knight football payers recognized us, we were after all in Tarpon letter jackets. We knew them pretty good, had even shared some beers one night. They said, "You guys aren't even in this tournament, and we're playing Cypress Lake" (another rocking squad in the days of a dance move they incorporated into their routines called, the four corners/ popcorn). We told them we came to watch their cheerleaders.

They said, "come on." Moved some people and sat us eye-level with the squad. The captain is watching them make room for us and asks, "What are you guys doing here, you're not even in the tournament?" We were both Rico Suave looking back then and told them "We like your squad and came to watch you guys tonight!" Big, big smile and did those ladies put on a show. Cypress was over across the floor rocking it too.

After the game (Can't even tell you who won) we told them how much we enjoyed the show. Hugs, and we jump in the car to head home. One runs out just as we're pulling off and said, "We're having our cheerleading party tonight out at Matlacha - why don't you guys come and party with us?" Oh **** yeah! So we followed them out, pull up to this old Cypress beamed house with water on two sides, hundreds of Stone Crab traps in the yard and Australian pines and a coupe of boats. No idea where the parents were.

Turns out only two of the seven girls had guys with them, it was supposed to be squad only party. OMG what a night - this song started paying in my head the minute I stepped out of the car onto that bed of pine needles. Norm's dad was the 41 bridge tender over the Peace River. We were arriving home as the sun was coming up, and he was walking from the bridge tender's house after his shift to his parked car, so Norm ducked down so he wouldn't be seen.

NFM....my HS....What yr are we talking??

...with one of the most experienced teams in the nation, when is it supposed to get better?

Not much to say and I haven't had the stomach to rewatch. But at least two prominent boosters (possibly the two most prominent) are going to make a lot of noise this week. I know we've heard that before, but this is how it starts.

My only source of optimism is that coaches like Cristobal and Mullen wanted this job at one point. We can do better than what we've done. Hopefully we turn it around before we've erased the memory of what Miami can be.
The biggest misinformation slurper on CIS dont try to switch up now

Advertisement

Classic....

Solie and SWFL, let me know when you want to do an old guys tailgate. I’m 58 and started going to canes games in ‘68. A couple of years ago I did a tailgate with a bunch of friends…steak, beer, and ‘70s music on the PA. Great time!

Advertisement
All an individual booster can do is scream and/or stop giving the school money. That's it. None of these high noise/low viz cats is giving the school so much that they will have the ear of the BOT, which is the collection of ears that needs to be reached.

Advertisement
Back