If Manny is betting on himself...

Advertisement
...he can't keep the "Hire a DC" card in his pocket for next year. He has to get it done. Hopefully, that's been made clear to him.

I'm surprised by the move. I always viewed Manny as a political/media type. This is a decision with bad optics. We all remember the Coach D fiasco. The political move would have been to fire Baker, hire a DC and shift the blame. He's putting it on himself.

The good news is that Manny's defenses were strong. His last defense as DC finished 3rd in yards per play, 1st in third down defense and 1st in pass defense. His recent resume is objectively better than any DC available. The bad news is that Blake was running Manny's defense last year. Is Manny that much better as a playcaller, or are there deeper issues?

I like the Jess Simpson hire. He was the DL coach on the '18 defense, which finished 1st in P5 in sack rate and was our best in a decade. Everything I've heard internally is that he was a superstar. DVD is fine as long as TRob is the man. I suspect he is and that he's on board with this plan.

The LBs are going to be the key. That position doomed us last year with Manny's recruits. We didn't get a fresh set of eyes there. What is going to change?

All told, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Will he go down like Golden or save his own career? He just cranked the pressure to 11.

Diaz just went all in with 3 Aces on the table while he's holding a pair of deuces. Im not going to **** the quite move yet until we see how it plays out. It doesn't look good, but one thing we can say for certain is that he's either doubling up or he's out of the game.

Manny being the DC is an upgrade.

I dont think I like Baker, but really 2020 was a ****show. I dont think we know enough to blame the scheme that worked pretty well under Diaz. Our DTs sucked and we lost 2 4 year starters at LB(tough to replace), a striker and our corners cant cover. A scheme doesnt give up 62 points. A DC doesnt give up 62 points. The only thing that does that is talent and will.

Advertisement
The tragedy unfolding after all this, might be we still end up with 6-7 wins, with a bowl loss to a lower conference Cause we are rudderless as a program.

Last edited:
Back to back years the National Champion had a defense ranked in the 30's.

We need to become elite on offense. It's the game that is now played. We need to start scoring 40 plus PPG.

Brent Venables with his talent and scheme, has given up over 600 yards in back to back playoff games. Alabama gave up 647 yards to Ole Miss this year, and won the NC!

Listen, you need to recruit the best you can on defense, but what really matters now is being elite on offense.

Advertisement
Back to back years the National Champion had a defense ranked in the 30's.

We need to become elite on offense. It's the game that is now played. We need to start scoring 40 plus PPG.

Brent Venables with his talent and scheme, has given up over 600 yards in back to back playoff games. Alabama gave up 647 yards to Ole Miss this year, and won the NC!

Listen, you need to recruit the best you can on defense, but what really matters now is being elite on offense.
And to add to your point, Ohio Taint gave up over 600 to Baga in the NC game.

...he can't keep the "Hire a DC" card in his pocket for next year. He has to get it done. Hopefully, that's been made clear to him.

I'm surprised by the move. I always viewed Manny as a political/media type. This is a decision with bad optics. We all remember the Coach D fiasco. The political move would have been to fire Baker, hire a DC and shift the blame. He's putting it on himself.

The good news is that Manny's defenses were strong. His last defense as DC finished 3rd in yards per play, 1st in third down defense and 1st in pass defense. His recent resume is objectively better than any DC available. The bad news is that Blake was running Manny's defense last year. Is Manny that much better as a playcaller, or are there deeper issues?

I like the Jess Simpson hire. He was the DL coach on the '18 defense, which finished 1st in P5 in sack rate and was our best in a decade. Everything I've heard internally is that he was a superstar. DVD is fine as long as TRob is the man. I suspect he is and that he's on board with this plan.

The LBs are going to be the key. That position doomed us last year with Manny's recruits. We didn't get a fresh set of eyes there. What is going to change?

All told, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Will he go down like Golden or save his own career? He just cranked the pressure to 11.

We finished first in sacks per game in 2017. In 2018 we weren't top 10 in sacks with a weaker schedule. We finished top 5 in sacks and tfls in 2017.

The amusing part is the move him and blake did by not hiring alonzo and bringing in ed is about to seriously backfire on him... Lets just say he picked the wrong scapegoat and ****ed around and ****ed EVERYONE off.
tell us more. people dont listen to you because it doesnt fit their narrative. but if they actually sit and think about it, most of what you say is very spot on

Why would blake do that when the ONLY THING THAT CHANGED IS MANNY CAME OUT AND SAID ILL BE CALLING PLAYS ALSO... U think blake doesn't know he was already doing that?
Of course he does. But, he may not have another gig lined up yet. So for the time being he has to accept that, whether he likes it or not.

Advertisement
The amusing part is the move him and blake did by not hiring alonzo and bringing in ed is about to seriously backfire on him... Lets just say he picked the wrong scapegoat and ****ed around and ****ed EVERYONE off.
From your mouth to god's ears brother. Hope you are doing well.

Buyout should be relatively cheap after next season with only 1 year left on his contract. IMO it’s all over but the HC search. Should also be doing an AD search. Blake James should be the first piece thrown out if next season looks disastrous as anticipated. Get an AD committed to winning.

Of course he does. But, he may not have another gig lined up yet. So for the time being he has to accept that, whether he likes it or not.
That's my point. For blake the only thing that changed is public perception. He's still co dc still has the same pay,responsibilities etc that he had from the first day he got here. So he isn't even looking for anything else cause he has zero reason to.

Advertisement
Manny won’t be on the chopping block next year unless we have a 4+ loss disaster of a season.

I don’t think he views this move as betting on himself to save his job. I think he feels he can point to the incremental changes he has made this offseason (bolstering the staff with 2 home run hires in T-Rob and Simpson) and demoting Baker as doing enough THIS YEAR to push the program one more step in the right direction.

He’s taking Simpson under his wing this year, showing him how he wants the defense run, and next year Simpson will get promoted to DC.

Not saying I agree with it but it seems to be the best explanation for the lack of urgency.

Frustrated The Office GIF by myHQ
First person I thought about was you when I heard the news 😂😂😂😂

We finished first in sacks per game in 2017. In 2018 we weren't top 10 in sacks with a weaker schedule. We finished top 5 in sacks and tfls in 2017.

I use sack rate, which is measured against opposing drop backs.

Let me see if I have this riddle correct:

1) Ya’ll are mad because the coach many, if not most here dislike, bet on himself to fix this his way assuming all responsibility which will lead to either A) Success or B) getting fired.

2) Ya’ll are mad because the coach many, if not most here dislike, didn’t fire Blake and hire a DC and fire Patke and didn’t promote Telly or hire a different coach because it might not lead to Manny & the program to succeed but yet you want it to fail now instead of winning because you hate Manny.

Canes logiczzzz

Jon Stewart Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back