If Manny is betting on himself...

Manny won’t be on the chopping block next year unless we have a 4+ loss disaster of a season.

I don’t think he views this move as betting on himself to save his job. I think he feels he can point to the incremental changes he has made this offseason (bolstering the staff with 2 home run hires in T-Rob and Simpson) and demoting Baker as doing enough THIS YEAR to push the program one more step in the right direction.

He’s taking Simpson under his wing this year, showing him how he wants the defense run, and next year Simpson will get promoted to DC.

Not saying I agree with it but it seems to be the best explanation for the lack of urgency.

Also to piggy back off of this, we now have 3 world class assistants on staff. It’s our best staff since the early 2000s (low bar but still)

Advertisement
University of Miami doesn't care about being good at anything. Not sports, not academics.... they're content with just being mediocre and forgettable at everything. Being good at things is just not a priority for UM.

Most of our senior BOT put in fewer than 4 hours per week in their role on the board. 4 hours. Per week. That's how little ***** they give.

You can look it up, because they file their hours in their tax documents. They don't give a ****.

You literally don’t know how board of trustee members work in most universities. The fact that you’re talking about how many hours they put in a week means you’re truly ignorant.

You should post less, because these kinds of posts show just how ignorant you are.

Next time, before you post, give it a little more thought, rather than the stream of consciousness spray of diarrhea that you normally post

Hey, if he is putting it on himself, what else do you want him to do? That means it's all on him. No more scapegoating. In a way that is a pretty admirable and stand up thing to do. May not be what's best for the program, but he is at least putting his money where his mouth is-and Blake James will go down with him if he is not successful too. I am just hoping for the best.

We really only have two coaches on defense who are qualify P5 coaches. T-Rob and Jess are it. DVD,Baker and Patke are G5 coaches. We'll DVD isn't even that if we're being honest, he would likely only be hired to a FCS job if he was forced to leave.

Manny being the DC is an upgrade.

I dont think I like Baker, but really 2020 was a ****show. I dont think we know enough to blame the scheme that worked pretty well under Diaz. Our DTs sucked and we lost 2 4 year starters at LB(tough to replace), a striker and our corners cant cover. A scheme doesnt give up 62 points. A DC doesnt give up 62 points. The only thing that does that is talent and will.
I don't think Manny is the DC, he's just the play caller on gameday. Will he be the DC in practice working with and developing the players? I don't think so, I believe that will be baker

Advertisement
GoGeta said it best..we were all fooling ourselves if we thought Patke was being let go. Had two guys up for National award honors (Jose won his award) and most people on here said Gil Frierson was the 2nd best player on our whole D last year. Maybe we were being a little unrealistic there.

Funny that people are not liking the Jess Simpson hire but when he left we were all up in arms because of the great job he did at DL. So now that hes back, everyone has the sour puss on.

I honestly dont know what to think but I do know that Manny can coach some Defense (when hes calling the plays) Our defense was **** near elite when he was our DC. So I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here until proven otherwise.

First person I thought about was you when I heard the news 😂😂😂😂
It's whatever. I've said before that I want Manny to succeed, because that means we're back winning to consistently. I just don't think this is the right move, at all. Firing Manny next year won't make me happy, because that will mean we probably won < 7 games and it will likely kill whatever class we manage to put together. I don't want that. I want us to continue to build, even if incrementally, until we're a consistent 10+ win team again.

Hate to say it but the schedule next year looks harder than this year. 9-4 might be a decent year. Bama, UNC, Michigan state won’t be easy and we always lose a game we aren’t supposed to.

That's my point. For blake the only thing that changed is public perception. He's still co dc still has the same pay,responsibilities etc that he had from the first day he got here. So he isn't even looking for anything else cause he has zero reason to.
But that's not correct. This is a demotion. He no longer has play call responsibilities. If he wants to advance his career, he may want to go somewhere where he is "the man." Whether that opportunity presents itself before next season who knows, but he *should* be looking; otherwise he's at a dead-end job.

Advertisement
In the military, when an officer gets "relieved of command" it is a fancy way of saying he was fired and is going to placed in some ****ty job until his contract runs out. Manny Diaz relieved Blake Baker of command. That is good news. Diaz named himself DC (Baker can call himself the Assistant Vice Co-Executive DC or whatever he wants but if he's not calling plays he's not really the DC). That is also good news. I believe in the saying "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." It's do or die now for Diaz. That's the best news.

puke GIF
The linebackers haven't been coached by Patke, he coaches strikers. Difference is, striker play was decent and linebacker play was horrible.

Advertisement
But that's not correct. This is a demotion. He no longer has play call responsibilities. If he wants to advance his career, he may want to go somewhere where he is "the man." Whether that opportunity presents itself before next season who knows, but he *should* be looking; otherwise he's at a dead-end job.
He's still co dc and he has the exact same responsibilities...

If he hired a competent DC it means he was willing to give up control and admit his defense was not good enough. Honestly, I was expecting this and said it on multiple occasions.

I love how there is no in between with this bs theory about how this is a win win.

Either he fails extremely and he gets fired or he succeeds and everything is great.

What if he goes 8-4? Then what? They aren’t going to fire him with an 8-4 record.

EXACTLY what I said.

Advertisement
I love how there is no in between with this bs theory about how this is a win win.

Either he fails extremely and he gets fired or he succeeds and everything is great.

What if he goes 8-4? Then what? They aren’t going to fire him with an 8-4 record.
This.

Would 8-4 be a contract extending record or would you fire him? Blake is not going to fire him at 8-4.

YTBD, I guess, but if it’s not, he’s on a last year contract without a renewal in which he either improves on 8-4 significantly or he would be gone. He won’t have King at QB in 2022. This team better win 9-10 games this up coming season. I personally feel it has to be 10.

The reality of the situation, IMO, BOTs & Admin would be happy with consecutive seasons of 8-4, 8-4 or 9-3.

Advertisement
Back