If Manny is betting on himself...

The offense has senior coaches. If practice is 3 hours long, Manny need to be with the Defense 2 of those hours. That’s how I see it if he’s going to call the defense. They need some seniority on that side of the ball.

Likens, Justice, Lashlee seem like they have an idea of what they’re doing.

Advertisement
Exactly. Head coaches these days need to be CEOs, not trying to call plays (for either offense or defense).

His job is CEO/HC, not DC. If he was betting on himself as HC, then he would have done what a real HC would have done—located, recruited, and hired an excellent autonomous DC.

He’s not betting on himself as much as he is retreating to the comfort of isolation and group think with his lackies.

We will be looking for a new HC and AD next year.
Reaction Gif GIF by Brett Eldredge

I agree with all of this, but can't help wonder how much the talent on the field was really the issue. To me, this D is built on pressure from the DL, CB's who can cover (to some degree, they don't have to be world beaters) and safeties that are a true last line of defense and ensure nothing gets behind them.

Well, we didn't have a Willis/Norton/McIntosh type, the safety play was borderline bad -- probably the worst it's been under Diaz (especially when Bolden stopped playing well), the CB play was awful and the LB play was the worst we've seen in years.

As of now, the DT's are what they are, but Simpson can hopefully coach them up better. The safeties will get better in time as the room is loaded. The CB's and LB's are still a huge question mark.

Point being, if Manny had just been DC in addition to HC this year, would our D have actually played much better? I always viewed coming out flat-footed as being on Diaz, so it's not really germane to this.
Manny took part in all of the game planning, and was on the headset with in game veto power, if something was called he didn’t like. So yea... manny wasn’t too far removed from being DC.

Not sure what changes here.

Advertisement
This staff with Manny's calling the defense..needed a graybeard previous HC type on it in some way. He didnt do so for whatever reason. We still other than T-Rob dont have new eyes/ or ideas to help with his scheme.

Manny is still betting on himself and his homie (Baker) to right the ship in some kind of way. I have no clue why you guys thought Patke was being let go...just off of supposed special teams awards his spot was secured.

Manny LOVES doubling up on positions...Rumph is still going to be around coaching. But im guessing collecting a smaller check to develop his "recruiting skills".
Simpson is a pretty solid coach...and honestly DL recruiting is on cruise control for next class already. We pretty much got 2 kids committed already and likely have to turn away talent at end with all the guys down here in south florida with talent.

Are we saying that he’s done with the hiring process?

The headline read & his presser stated Miami has finalized its defensive staff. Not sure if we’re talking final as in Mortal Kombat Fatality or final as in I hate my ex, but I’ll still fck. (Not I as in I b/c I can’t stand that bih, but u get the point. Lol)

Advertisement
...he can't keep the "Hire a DC" card in his pocket for next year. He has to get it done. Hopefully, that's been made clear to him.

I'm surprised by the move. I always viewed Manny as a political/media type. This is a decision with bad optics. We all remember the Coach D fiasco. The political move would have been to fire Baker, hire a DC and shift the blame. He's putting it on himself.

The good news is that Manny's defenses were strong. His last defense as DC finished 3rd in yards per play, 1st in third down defense and 1st in pass defense. His recent resume is objectively better than any DC available. The bad news is that Blake was running Manny's defense last year. Is Manny that much better as a playcaller, or are there deeper issues?

I like the Jess Simpson hire. He was the DL coach on the '18 defense, which finished 1st in P5 in sack rate and was our best in a decade. Everything I've heard internally is that he was a superstar. DVD is fine as long as TRob is the man. I suspect he is and that he's on board with this plan.

The LBs are going to be the key. That position doomed us last year with Manny's recruits. We didn't get a fresh set of eyes there. What is going to change?

All told, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Will he go down like Golden or save his own career? He just cranked the pressure to 11.
The amusing part is the move him and blake did by not hiring alonzo and bringing in ed is about to seriously backfire on him... Lets just say he picked the wrong scapegoat and ****ed around and ****ed EVERYONE off.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Baker finds a other job by spring and Manny brings in another LB coach with no co DC title. Just a thought that could happen. I also don’t mind Baker going to LB coach roll like he is now. He won’t be calling the D. He wasn’t qualified and that’s not his fault.

So, what if Blake says "F* this, I'm out" (which would be understandable)? Does Manny then reverse course and hire another DC?
Why would blake do that when the ONLY THING THAT CHANGED IS MANNY CAME OUT AND SAID ILL BE CALLING PLAYS ALSO... U think blake doesn't know he was already doing that?

I agree with all of this, but can't help wonder how much the talent on the field was really the issue. To me, this D is built on pressure from the DL, CB's who can cover (to some degree, they don't have to be world beaters) and safeties that are a true last line of defense and ensure nothing gets behind them.

Well, we didn't have a Willis/Norton/McIntosh type, the safety play was borderline bad -- probably the worst it's been under Diaz (especially when Bolden stopped playing well), the CB play was awful and the LB play was the worst we've seen in years.

As of now, the DT's are what they are, but Simpson can hopefully coach them up better. The safeties will get better in time as the room is loaded. The CB's and LB's are still a huge question mark.

Point being, if Manny had just been DC in addition to HC this year, would our D have actually played much better? I always viewed coming out flat-footed as being on Diaz, so it's not really germane to this.
LB will be a question mark but we better hope the new De can step up this will be another unproven group

Advertisement
Bye Bye Manny

This is the career killer right here. Didn't have the balls to fire his buddy and is too big headed to realize his system needs a change.

Very disappointing. We saw Manny's defense this year, what will change next year?

Who knows whats in the works. Maybe Jess & Trob sit down with him & they tweak the scheme a little. May as well chill out & let it play out bc it is what it is & it's gonna be a long off season. Dont kill yourselves.

Advertisement
Bye Bye Manny

This is the career killer right here. Didn't have the balls to fire his buddy and is too big headed to realize his system needs a change.

Very disappointing. We saw Manny's defense this year, what will change next year?
Can’t wait to see our Defense looking lost when teams run misdirections on us.

...he can't keep the "Hire a DC" card in his pocket for next year. He has to get it done. Hopefully, that's been made clear to him.

I'm surprised by the move. I always viewed Manny as a political/media type. This is a decision with bad optics. We all remember the Coach D fiasco. The political move would have been to fire Baker, hire a DC and shift the blame. He's putting it on himself.

The good news is that Manny's defenses were strong. His last defense as DC finished 3rd in yards per play, 1st in third down defense and 1st in pass defense. His recent resume is objectively better than any DC available. The bad news is that Blake was running Manny's defense last year. Is Manny that much better as a playcaller, or are there deeper issues?

I like the Jess Simpson hire. He was the DL coach on the '18 defense, which finished 1st in P5 in sack rate and was our best in a decade. Everything I've heard internally is that he was a superstar. DVD is fine as long as TRob is the man. I suspect he is and that he's on board with this plan.

The LBs are going to be the key. That position doomed us last year with Manny's recruits. We didn't get a fresh set of eyes there. What is going to change?

All told, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Will he go down like Golden or save his own career? He just cranked the pressure to 11.
The other possibility is he had no real world choice because no credible candidates want to work for him as DC. It seems clear that he tried to find a DC and failed ... or at least, that's how I read the signals.

It’s not just football. Our major sports teams are non-competitive. It’s a travesty

University of Miami doesn't care about being good at anything. Not sports, not academics.... they're content with just being mediocre and forgettable at everything. Being good at things is just not a priority for UM.

Most of our senior BOT put in fewer than 4 hours per week in their role on the board. 4 hours. Per week. That's how little ***** they give.

You can look it up, because they file their hours in their tax documents. They don't give a ****.

Manny's betting on Blake James and the board letting him keep his job and most likely earn an extension with another 8 win season.

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think he's going to get fired. He won't. But we aren't going to get any closer to winning a championship.

Advertisement
Back