If Manny is betting on himself...

Advertisement
Someone smarter than me can elaborate on this, but doesn't Jess' commitment to gap integrity make life much easier for our LBS?
I'm hoping Jess tells Manny to **** his own face and coaches the line to actually stop the run.

the question that people keep ignoring is this: what is manny's history as a coach?

after he got fired from texas, he didn't take a job as a position coach at a P5 program. he went and found a job at LA tech coaching his defense. two years later he had worked his way back up to being the DC at miami, and three years after that he was getting head coaching offers. does that sound like someone who is scared to bet on himself -- on his style of defense, his ability to call plays?

manny spent 13 straight seasons calling plays before becoming a head coach. he looked at his defense and decided it needed a new play caller -- in a shocking turn of events, it sounded like a job he thought he could do. i don't know why this is surprising to people.
Been saying this all year. He’s not dropping his baby, the one thing that got him this job, and turning it over to someone else

This basically sums up how I feel right now
will ferrell step brothers movie GIF

I'm honestly surprised he announced he's going to call plays next year. That absolutely dialed the pressure up on himself unnecessarily.

He could have even planned on doing that and just not said anything and still kept the DC scapegoat in his pocket for next year.

He must know next year is his last year if his D sucks again and gets embarrassed.

Advertisement
Obviously this is disappointing news to hear that Baker is still on staff as a ceremonial DC. Patke too,but at least he can somewhat hide behind Hedley & Borregales

On the flipside, adding Simpson and T-Rob to the defensive staff are big wins for us. It remains to be seen how good of a recruiter Simpson can be, he did nab Harvey, and identified and closed JJH and Blissett. The only real big-time recruit I remember him being on was Kevin Harris. If y'all remember it seemed like we were about to flip Harris from Bama until an 11th hour bag was dropped. Time will tell

Advertisement
I don't like how one guy is doing the game planning and the other is calling the plays. It should be one and the same. Unless Manny is doing it all and this is all lip service to not embarrass Baker.

Regardless of how next year goes, Manny will be here at least through 2022 season.

...he can't keep the "Hire a DC" card in his pocket for next year. He has to get it done. Hopefully, that's been made clear to him.

I'm surprised by the move. I always viewed Manny as a political/media type. This is a decision with bad optics. We all remember the Coach D fiasco. The political move would have been to fire Baker, hire a DC and shift the blame. He's putting it on himself.

The good news is that Manny's defenses were strong. His last defense as DC finished 3rd in yards per play, 1st in third down defense and 1st in pass defense. His recent resume is objectively better than any DC available. The bad news is that Blake was running Manny's defense last year. Is Manny that much better as a playcaller, or are there deeper issues?

I like the Jess Simpson hire. He was the DL coach on the '18 defense, which finished 1st in P5 in sack rate and was our best in a decade. Everything I've heard internally is that he was a superstar. DVD is fine as long as TRob is the man. I suspect he is and that he's on board with this plan.

The LBs are going to be the key. That position doomed us last year with Manny's recruits. We didn't get a fresh set of eyes there. What is going to change?

All told, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Will he go down like Golden or save his own career? He just cranked the pressure to 11.

Wasn't it the great Wesley Snipes who said...

"Always bet on d!ck"...

Thanks, Manny...

I mean, I don't even know what to say anymore.

The Baker/Manny thing is just retarded......but am I the only one who finds it absolutely hilarious Rumph was retained, of all things, as a "recruiting" guy?

I heard Coach L is reaching out to Shaq to come help with free throw shooting next.

Said it since the season ended, he wasn't firing Baker. That would be giving up on what put Diaz where he is today, his scheme, his defense etc. He's married to it, so are 95 percent of the coaches out there with whatever they run. They keep doing the same things, slight changes, but not complete overhauls. Hope it works with better talent, but IMHO, we needed something new.

Advertisement
There are other head coaches that call plays, mostly on offense but that’s not really my issue. My problem is the fundamental issues we have go deeper than changing the play calls. Linebackers way out of position, safeties taking terrible angles and linemen running themselves out of the play aren’t going to be fixed by calling the game differently.
i think two of those issues were addressed, simpson with the line play and robinson with the db play ... no the linebacking has to improve, hopefully that becomes baker's baby and he gets it done

Last edited:
D Money... too many guys on this defensive staff cannot coach at this level.. baker..patke.. dvd... we are hamstringing ourselves for no reason
This. DVD will be used on the recruiting front. But you only have 2 coaches on that side of the ball with solid resumes in Simpson and T-Rob. Patke shouldn't have been hired here, nor Baker.

I agree with all of this, but can't help wonder how much the talent on the field was really the issue. To me, this D is built on pressure from the DL, CB's who can cover (to some degree, they don't have to be world beaters) and safeties that are a true last line of defense and ensure nothing gets behind them.

Well, we didn't have a Willis/Norton/McIntosh type, the safety play was borderline bad -- probably the worst it's been under Diaz (especially when Bolden stopped playing well), the CB play was awful and the LB play was the worst we've seen in years.

As of now, the DT's are what they are, but Simpson can hopefully coach them up better. The safeties will get better in time as the room is loaded. The CB's and LB's are still a huge question mark.

Point being, if Manny had just been DC in addition to HC this year, would our D have actually played much better? I always viewed coming out flat-footed as being on Diaz, so it's not really germane to this.
Regardless, Manny's had his hands on this defense for 5 years now. These are all his guys. If it's a talent issue, that's also on Diaz.

Advertisement
Pretty much.

I love movies about ppl betting on themselves when no one else believes in them. Hustle and Flow. Dolomite is My Name. Maybe that's masking the intensity of how much I hate what he's doing.

But like was said by OP, you don't get to use the hire a d coordinator card the year after if you fall on your face.

This is it for you, homie.

Fortunately for Manny, we honestly should be expected to lose only one game next season. Even UNC, if healthy, should be winnable.

God **** ACC might save this joker.
Nah. We've been down this path before where "We can go undefeated with this schedule". We're bound to lose 2-3 frustrating games next year. It's who we are.

So is the real story here that the DC market took a look at this situation and said thanks, no thanks.

Just this passed weekend there were people who should know calling Manny a dog for what he "pulled off" yet here we are with lip stick on the dyck in the fans collective ***.

...he can't keep the "Hire a DC" card in his pocket for next year. He has to get it done. Hopefully, that's been made clear to him.

I'm surprised by the move. I always viewed Manny as a political/media type. This is a decision with bad optics. We all remember the Coach D fiasco. The political move would have been to fire Baker, hire a DC and shift the blame. He's putting it on himself.

The good news is that Manny's defenses were strong. His last defense as DC finished 3rd in yards per play, 1st in third down defense and 1st in pass defense. His recent resume is objectively better than any DC available. The bad news is that Blake was running Manny's defense last year. Is Manny that much better as a playcaller, or are there deeper issues?

I like the Jess Simpson hire. He was the DL coach on the '18 defense, which finished 1st in P5 in sack rate and was our best in a decade. Everything I've heard internally is that he was a superstar. DVD is fine as long as TRob is the man. I suspect he is and that he's on board with this plan.

The LBs are going to be the key. That position doomed us last year with Manny's recruits. We didn't get a fresh set of eyes there. What is going to change?

All told, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Will he go down like Golden or save his own career? He just cranked the pressure to 11.

Mannys defenses were strong against bad teams. This myth that he was some great DC is whyhe got the job in the first place. It needs to stop.

Baker must have photos of Manny with farm animals.

Advertisement
Back