If Manny is betting on himself...

Advertisement
...he can't keep the "Hire a DC" card in his pocket for next year. He has to get it done. Hopefully, that's been made clear to him.

I'm surprised by the move. I always viewed Manny as a political/media type. This is a decision with bad optics. We all remember the Coach D fiasco. The political move would have been to fire Baker, hire a DC and shift the blame. He's putting it on himself.

The good news is that Manny's defenses were strong. His last defense as DC finished 3rd in yards per play, 1st in third down defense and 1st in pass defense. His recent resume is objectively better than any DC available. The bad news is that Blake was running Manny's defense last year. Is Manny that much better as a playcaller, or are there deeper issues?

I like the Jess Simpson hire. He was the DL coach on the '18 defense, which finished 1st in P5 in sack rate and was our best in a decade. Everything I've heard internally is that he was a superstar. DVD is fine as long as TRob is the man. I suspect he is and that he's on board with this plan.

The LBs are going to be the key. That position doomed us last year with Manny's recruits. We didn't get a fresh set of eyes there. What is going to change?

All told, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Will he go down like Golden or save his own career? He just cranked the pressure to 11.
I totally agree but with a slight less optimism. Manny needs to part ways with his boy Faker. This tells me all I need to know about Manny now that he is keeping him around. Manny is afraid to part ways with people he knew from past coaching stints. He has loyalty to upperclassmen, those that cant play a lick but has seniority which ends up hurting the progress of the position.

Can anyone tell me what Faker is good for? Wasn't he the one that planned and schemed during the week before games which they looked totally out coached on DF? So, will Manny go with his scheme during games even though its not working? Is Manny ready to deal with the other position coaches if they have a problem with Fakers preparations during the week? And what have Faker done in recruiting that makes Manny keep this guy around?

If Manny doesn't get rid of Faker all together, I think this will be his down fall and he might not last past next year. I'm good with all other moves he's made, but the faker deal!

Manny need to focus on being a HC because he's not that good at it. To now be involved with calling plays taking your focus off the whole game is just setting himself up for failure, IMHO!

Y’all saying he has 1 year is crazy to me. The O alone can keep us in most games with a healthy King in Year 2. If he wins 9 games next year he’s not getting fired.
The O couldn't keep us in games against good teams. Many of the average teams we faced were toss ups. I doubt Manny wins 9 games next year.

Advertisement
To me the linebacker play was far and away the biggest issue. They looked absolutely lost in games. There is no way that 44 & 53 should ever see the field except maybe on special teams. Baker is LB coach so what is his excuse for the horrible play of his LB’s.
As for play calling Baker is trash. Every game the opposing offense would March down the field and it would take almost the entire first half till Manny would step in and help with adjustments and things would calm down.

it sucks because Manny came in and preached about accountability when he fired the offensive staff, but apparently that doesn’t apply to the defensive side of the football.

One again, Manny proved there is no consequence for poor performance from the staff or players. Where is Ed Reed speaking to media on what an amazing D staff this is now, and how excited he is to be a part of the “Building of Champions” brand.

...he can't keep the "Hire a DC" card in his pocket for next year. He has to get it done. Hopefully, that's been made clear to him.

I'm surprised by the move. I always viewed Manny as a political/media type. This is a decision with bad optics. We all remember the Coach D fiasco. The political move would have been to fire Baker, hire a DC and shift the blame. He's putting it on himself.

The good news is that Manny's defenses were strong. His last defense as DC finished 3rd in yards per play, 1st in third down defense and 1st in pass defense. His recent resume is objectively better than any DC available. The bad news is that Blake was running Manny's defense last year. Is Manny that much better as a playcaller, or are there deeper issues?

I like the Jess Simpson hire. He was the DL coach on the '18 defense, which finished 1st in P5 in sack rate and was our best in a decade. Everything I've heard internally is that he was a superstar. DVD is fine as long as TRob is the man. I suspect he is and that he's on board with this plan.

The LBs are going to be the key. That position doomed us last year with Manny's recruits. We didn't get a fresh set of eyes there. What is going to change?

All told, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Will he go down like Golden or save his own career? He just cranked the pressure to 11.
💯 I wrote in a text group while I don’t agree with all the moves I respect the choice. Manny literally just put the spotlight on him. This year is ACCCG or bust and he just turned the heat on his seat. Table set. Cards Dealt. Now I will be optimistic and nit bash and see how it plays out.

Advertisement
D Money... too many guys on this defensive staff cannot coach at this level.. baker..patke.. dvd... we are hamstringing ourselves for no reason
Baker will only have to focus on the LBs more than everything else. LB play gotta improve with him not being DC.

Advertisement
He’s betting on himself. We’d all do that if we had the opportunity to fix something. Let’s see what he does.
His job is CEO/HC, not DC. If he was betting on himself as HC, then he would have done what a real HC would have done—located, recruited, and hired an excellent autonomous DC.

He’s not betting on himself as much as he is retreating to the comfort of isolation and group think with his lackies.

Advertisement
One other thing to consider- when Manny got fired at Texas, there was a lot of talk about defensive staff in-fighting and struggles over control.

My guess is that experience influenced Manny's decision here.
I still remember Greg Robinson taking over that d and it immediately improving...sigh...

Manny is an Fing idiot. We only get 10 on field coaches and totally blew 3 of them, and we have no room for error. Not need to hire two guys working with DBs.

and when Bama puts up 60 on Mannys D the fans are going to lose it. It is a lose lose.

dude needs to run the program not coach the D. Such momentum and just got stuck in our tracks. Patke, Baker and DVD should not be on field coaches for us.

Can't blame Manny for betting on himself if the administration not working with him but if that is not the case this is a terrible move IMO. Blake also coaches the LB's which was the weakest link on the defense😬...but I'm yelling beat Bama till da end. Can't change what's been done 🙄

Mannys defenses were strong against bad teams. This myth that he was some great DC is whyhe got the job in the first place. It needs to stop.
Manure is pure garbage as a HC and is just decent against mediocre teams as a DC..... we have to admit once and for all we are never getting back to an National Championship level until we get an admin that is willing to put up and shut everyone up.

Advertisement
Back