If Manny is betting on himself...

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
...he can't keep the "Hire a DC" card in his pocket for next year. He has to get it done. Hopefully, that's been made clear to him.

I'm surprised by the move. I always viewed Manny as a political/media type. This is a decision with bad optics. We all remember the Coach D fiasco. The political move would have been to fire Baker, hire a DC and shift the blame. He's putting it on himself.

The good news is that Manny's defenses were strong. His last defense as DC finished 3rd in yards per play, 1st in third down defense and 1st in pass defense. His recent resume is objectively better than any DC available. The bad news is that Blake was running Manny's defense last year. Is Manny that much better as a playcaller, or are there deeper issues?

I like the Jess Simpson hire. He was the DL coach on the '18 defense, which finished 1st in P5 in sack rate and was our best in a decade. Everything I've heard internally is that he was a superstar. DVD is fine as long as TRob is the man. I suspect he is and that he's on board with this plan.

The LBs are going to be the key. That position doomed us last year with Manny's recruits. We didn't get a fresh set of eyes there. What is going to change?

All told, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Will he go down like Golden or save his own career? He just cranked the pressure to 11.

Advertisement
I agree with all of this, but can't help wonder how much the talent on the field was really the issue. To me, this D is built on pressure from the DL, CB's who can cover (to some degree, they don't have to be world beaters) and safeties that are a true last line of defense and ensure nothing gets behind them.

Well, we didn't have a Willis/Norton/McIntosh type, the safety play was borderline bad -- probably the worst it's been under Diaz (especially when Bolden stopped playing well), the CB play was awful and the LB play was the worst we've seen in years.

As of now, the DT's are what they are, but Simpson can hopefully coach them up better. The safeties will get better in time as the room is loaded. The CB's and LB's are still a huge question mark.

Point being, if Manny had just been DC in addition to HC this year, would our D have actually played much better? I always viewed coming out flat-footed as being on Diaz, so it's not really germane to this.

Advertisement
Frustrated The Office GIF by myHQ

...he can't keep the "Hire a DC" card in his pocket for next year. He has to get it done. Hopefully, that's been made clear to him.

I'm surprised by the move. I always viewed Manny as a political/media type. This is a decision with bad optics. We all remember the Coach D fiasco. The political move would have been to fire Baker, hire a DC and shift the blame. He's putting it on himself.

The good news is that Manny's defenses were strong. His last defense as DC finished 3rd in yards per play, 1st in third down defense and 1st in pass defense. His recent resume is objectively better than any DC available. The bad news is that Blake was running Manny's defense last year. Is Manny that much better as a playcaller, or are there deeper issues?

I like the Jess Simpson hire. He was the DL coach on the '18 defense, which finished 1st in P5 in sack rate and was our best in a decade. Everything I've heard internally is that he was a superstar. DVD is fine as long as TRob is the man. I suspect he is and that he's on board with this plan.

The LBs are going to be the key. That position doomed us last year with Manny's recruits. We didn't get a fresh set of eyes there. What is going to change?

All told, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Will he go down like Golden or save his own career? He just cranked the pressure to 11.
Pretty much I have taking it as Miami is cursed

Advertisement

I thought the same thing. Figured that after Alabama drops 700 yards rushing on us, he could sacrifice Baker and try to buy another year. Wouldn’t have bothered me so much if he would have brought in a LB coach. If that unit doesn’t improve, we are doomed.

Advertisement
I thought the same thing. Figured that after Alabama drops 700 yards rushing on us, he could sacrifice Baker and try to buy another year. Wouldn’t have bothered me so much if he would have brought in a LB coach. If that unit doesn’t improve, we are doomed.
Buddy we could have a Frakenstein monster of of the greatest DC's of all time coaching the defense and Miami is still going to get their **** pushed in by Bama.

Someone smarter than me can elaborate on this, but doesn't Jess' commitment to gap integrity make life much easier for our LBS?

Me personally, if I'm in Manny's shoes I do whatever is needed even take a pay cut to get a strong DC. Like you said DMoney, at least a DC hire has the optics that you are being aggressive and swinging for the fences to improve.

I'm guessing Manny is thinking he's got a better chance to save his job by relying on himself as DC/play caller rather than entrust it with someone else. Not the move I'd make, but at least he stands a much better chance at success with Jess and TRob on staff.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Advertisement
The talent when last “called plays” and the talent we have now are TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

We gonna see what he’s made of immediately. Week 1 is Bama. Put up or Shut Up

I don't mind Manny calling the plays, but Manny calling the plays and being HC? Doesn't he have enough on his plate?

Sure seems like he is married to his D and couldn't find anyone else to run it. As D pointed out, definitely betting on himself.
There are other head coaches that call plays, mostly on offense but that’s not really my issue. My problem is the fundamental issues we have go deeper than changing the play calls. Linebackers way out of position, safeties taking terrible angles and linemen running themselves out of the play aren’t going to be fixed by calling the game differently.

Advertisement
Back