If Manny is betting on himself...

He's definitely betting on himself, and wouldn't be surprised if he's not HEAVILY involved with the LBs. Think of it as Manny saying if HCs can basically be OCs (Ryan Day-Lincoln Riley-Dan Mullen etc) then a HC can basically be a DC. IMO where he messed up at is not getting a LB coach.

BTW I also think DVD is being "paid" as a CB coach but his role will be Asst Secondary coach working with TRob.

I'm done for the day on UM football smh...just ruined my frickin day smh. Hope this doesn't ruin our chances for a certain portal CB

Advertisement
I agree with all of this, but can't help wonder how much the talent on the field was really the issue. To me, this D is built on pressure from the DL, CB's who can cover (to some degree, they don't have to be world beaters) and safeties that are a true last line of defense and ensure nothing gets behind them.

Well, we didn't have a Willis/Norton/McIntosh type, the safety play was borderline bad -- probably the worst it's been under Diaz (especially when Bolden stopped playing well), the CB play was awful and the LB play was the worst we've seen in years.

As of now, the DT's are what they are, but Simpson can hopefully coach them up better. The safeties will get better in time as the room is loaded. The CB's and LB's are still a huge question mark.

Point being, if Manny had just been DC in addition to HC this year, would our D have actually played much better? I always viewed coming out flat-footed as being on Diaz, so it's not really germane to this.
Do you think rob can help with cbs

Pretty much.

I love movies about ppl betting on themselves when no one else believes in them. Hustle and Flow. Dolomite is My Name. Maybe that's masking the intensity of how much I hate what he's doing.

But like was said by OP, you don't get to use the hire a d coordinator card the year after if you fall on your face.

This is it for you, homie.

Fortunately for Manny, we honestly should be expected to lose only one game next season. Even UNC, if healthy, should be winnable.

God **** ACC might save this joker.

Advertisement
Manny is a good enough play caller that the defense will look elite against lesser talent.

The constant theme of his scheme, whether it be he or Baker running the show, is equal or greater talent exposes the scheme’s philosophy.

There are other head coaches that call plays, mostly on offense but that’s not really my issue. My problem is the fundamental issues we have go deeper than changing the play calls. Linebackers way out of position, safeties taking terrible angles and linemen running themselves out of the play aren’t going to be fixed by calling the game differently.
Besides Lb, we have better coaching than last year. TRob work speaks for itself and Simpson was good when he was here

There are other head coaches that call plays, mostly on offense but that’s not really my issue. My problem is the fundamental issues we have go deeper than changing the play calls. Linebackers way out of position, safeties taking terrible angles and linemen running themselves out of the play aren’t going to be fixed by calling the game differently.
Well if we're being unfair, not that I care about being fair because I HATE THIS DECISION, but.....Safeties and DL just got new coaches that we can argue are homerun hires for those positions. LBs will be the question mark and again, IF, we're being fair, Shaq and 56 may not have been 4 years of All American type players, but they were SIGNIFICANTLY better than what we saw last year....I think 55 and 56 didn't have anyone pushing for their jobs so they were allowed to get complacent, Steed got hurt, Joyner was playing out of position, and we couldn't recruit the position for nothing because we had 3 freshman starters....

Advertisement
Advertisement
the question that people keep ignoring is this: what is manny's history as a coach?

after he got fired from texas, he didn't take a job as a position coach at a P5 program. he went and found a job at LA tech coaching his defense. two years later he had worked his way back up to being the DC at miami, and three years after that he was getting head coaching offers. does that sound like someone who is scared to bet on himself -- on his style of defense, his ability to call plays?

manny spent 13 straight seasons calling plays before becoming a head coach. he looked at his defense and decided it needed a new play caller -- in a shocking turn of events, it sounded like a job he thought he could do. i don't know why this is surprising to people.

...he can't keep the "Hire a DC" card in his pocket for next year. He has to get it done. Hopefully, that's been made clear to him.

I'm surprised by the move. I always viewed Manny as a political/media type. This is a decision with bad optics. We all remember the Coach D fiasco. The political move would have been to fire Baker, hire a DC and shift the blame. He's putting it on himself.

The good news is that Manny's defenses were strong. His last defense as DC finished 3rd in yards per play, 1st in third down defense and 1st in pass defense. His recent resume is objectively better than any DC available. The bad news is that Blake was running Manny's defense last year. Is Manny that much better as a playcaller, or are there deeper issues?

I like the Jess Simpson hire. He was the DL coach on the '18 defense, which finished 1st in P5 in sack rate and was our best in a decade. Everything I've heard internally is that he was a superstar. DVD is fine as long as TRob is the man. I suspect he is and that he's on board with this plan.

The LBs are going to be the key. That position doomed us last year with Manny's recruits. We didn't get a fresh set of eyes there. What is going to change?

All told, this is a pivotal year for Manny. Will he go down like Golden or save his own career? He just cranked the pressure to 11.

The program needs every advantage it can muster in order to challenge CU. That being said,

What's the upside of keeping a coach that you thought did a bad job? Clearly he doesn't bring any tangible advantage in game planning (if he did it would have shown up in the results), adjusting, coaching or recruiting... so he's just taking up a spot on the coaching staff, that is limited, that could be taken by somebody who is a lot better at any one of those things listed.

Same with DVD. You already have a whole *** coach who has experience coaching both CBs and Safeties and who's been a coordinator, so what advantage is there in hiring a coach to take a limited spot on the staff who is brand new to the whole profession?

DVD is there to recruit. Jess and T-rob are good coaches but whos coaching LBs. im not happy especially after the names he was talking too
i understand they need him to recruit.. but what will he do to get our guys better... unless Trob will be more hands on developing game plans with Manny.. just think we need so much help in development and didn't have this luxury... we tried something similar with Beard years back

Advertisement
He wouldn´t have waited for 2-3 weeks to bet on himself. If I had to guess, I believe he tried to get a good DC and he failed. That is a problem but the bigger problem is why did it fail. A few reasons.

A. He wanted to remain in control (partially or totally) of the D and no one in the candidate pool of DCs was going to allow that.

B. He couldn't find a qualified DC. Why? Either he doesn't have the pull, or they don't have confidence in him, or the conditions for taking the DC job were unacceptable (see A above). Another reason we couldn't find an acceptable DC could be that Manny wanted a certain scheme or certain personnel such as Baker, Patke and/or T-Rob and the candidate pool found that condition to be unacceptable.

None of the above is good. Manny's return to playcalling is not good. He just is not experienced enough as a head coach to master all the duties of the head coach AND call plays.

I hope I am wrong.

Advertisement
Back