If I told you in February 2019...

Agree with everything you wrote Rellyrell. But it’s still a quality class. Given all the **** shows, it’s nice to at least have the talent to be in a position to win.

No doubt; which makes the 6-7 season more head scratching.

Let’s be real my g; Miami ain’t never been hurting for talent. On paper, we’ve been the 3rd most talented team in the whole ACC for the past, at least, 7 yrs running. Like @Liberty City El said (and I’ve noticed we’ve been on the same wave length for a minute now), talent hasn’t been our problem, coaching has. We got the parts, and someone said it best: Shannon, Golden, now Diaz have all been given a 1st yr coach boost. Richt is an exception, b/c his first yr class was #12, but after that 10 win season, the class of 18 was #8.

Shannon:
2007 5-7
2008 #1 recruiting class (best ranked class)

Golden:
2011: 6-6 (w sanctions)
2012: #10 recruiting class (best ranked class)

Diaz:
2019: 6-7
2020: #13 recruiting class

So it’s not unusual for a team to chit the bed here, and then the following season we bring in a nice class on paper. I think we’ve been so numb to chit, we forget chit. So I’m just reminding everyone, b/c I hate to see this vicious cycle of hyping up off season moves, when we have a history of the moves not working b/c of the head guy. Not being a party pooper v. throwing caution to the wind w threads like these. Hopefully, and I like I said b4, I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Advertisement
LB- Tirek Austin-Cave 3 star
LB- Corey Flagg 3 star
S- Avantae Williams 4/5 star *elite*
S- Jalen Harrell 4 star 247
S- Brian Balom 3 star
S- Keyshawn Washington 4 star rivals
CB- Isaiah Dunson 4 star rivals
CB- Marcus Clarke 3 star

It's a decent haul. Better than "not good." But if you look closer, I think there are some steals. Cave landed a lot of P5 offers. 162 tackles, meaning he averaged 13.5 tackles per game. Thats a Zach Thomas-like tackling machine.

Flagg landed a lot of P5 offers as well. 144 tackles. 33 TFL. Also a tackling machine.
Sometimes people fall in love with measurables and ignore the football playing abilities. Looks like Miami is putting a premium on tackling ability. I am quite happy with that strategy.

Flagg did not get a lot of P5 offers. His offers were Purdue, TT, OKSU, & VT. All his other offers were strictly G5 schools.
Austin-Cave is who I’m most excited about, not Flagg.....not in this defense. And 247 is the most accurate rating, not rivals.

After the debacle that was 2019, I don't think there were many of us that expected a 2020 class like this. Add in the transfers, and that's icing on the cake. 2nd year bump? Are the staff getting better at recruiting with experience?

You guys that follow recruiting more than me certainly have better insight. As usual, we missed on a few blue chips but for the most part, this is a really solid class. For the sake of the team and us fans, I hope this staff is successful. We've been in mediocrity long enough. I'm again cautiously optimistic.

Flagg did not get a lot of P5 offers. His offers were Purdue, TT, OKSU, & VT. All his other offers were strictly G5 schools.
Austin-Cave is who I’m most excited about, not Flagg.....not in this defense. And 247 is the most accurate rating, not rivals.

Flagg also got an offer from BC and Kansas State. That's 6 P5 offers, not including Miami. He's a quality LB. And 247, Rivals, ESPN are interchangeable and equally worthless. Greg Rosseau was a 3 star on 247 and espn. 4 star on Rivals. Looks like Rivals won that round.

Last edited:
Most would tell this staff can’t ******* recruit worth a ****😭🤣
The board always operates on one side of two extremes...

It's either they can't recruit at all, or they're the best ever, it's much closer to somewhere in the middle & much more nuanced than people ever have time to pay attention to.

I could go back since 2016 & list all the kids we missed on went elsewhere & played well & it would look like we can't recruit at all. But then I could list all the 4-stars we've landed & it would look like we have a really good group of recruiters, the truth is neither extreme is true.

Ultimately, recruiting is not a problem for Miami, never has been, it's everything else that happens after you get the kids on campus that we fail hard at.

We improve in those areas & we'll win more consistently, until then we are what we are.

Advertisement

Let’s be real my g; Miami ain’t never been hurting for talent. On paper, we’ve been the 3rd most talented team in the whole ACC for the past, at least, 7 yrs running. Like @Liberty City El said (and I’ve noticed we’ve been on the same wave length for a minute now), talent hasn’t been our problem, coaching has. We got the parts, and someone said it best: Shannon, Golden, now Diaz have all been given a 1st yr coach boost. Richt is an exception, b/c his first yr class was #12, but after that 10 win season, the class of 18 was #8.

Shannon:
2007 5-7

Golden:

Diaz:

So it’s not unusual for a team to chit the best here, and then the following season we bring in a nice class on paper. I think we’ve been so numb to chit, we forget chit. So I’m just reminding everyone, b/c I hate to see this vicious cycle of hyping up off season moves, when we have a history of the moves not working b/c of the head guy. Not being a party pooper v. throwing caution to the wind w threads like these. Hopefully, and I like I said b4, I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

But, but I don’t understand why fans say this staff can’t recruit..

Seen this song and dance before. Talk to me next year when we see if this staff can actually develop players and ******* win..

The kid that went to auburn can kick rocks.

There. I feel better now. Good post D. Whether Manny works or not, he won’t leave this roster worse off.

..that we would land the following class, we all would've signed up. To land these kids after a 6-7 season is truly remarkable:

QB- Tyler Van Dyke
RB- Don Chaney
RB- Jaylan Knighton
WR- Michael Redding
WR- Xavier Restrepo
WR- Daz Worsham
WR- Keyshawn Smith
OT- Isaiah Walker
OT- Jalen Rivers
OT- Chris Washington
TE- Dominic Mammarelli

DE- Chantz Williams
DE- Quentin Williams
DT- Elijah Roberts
LB- Tirek Austin-Cave
LB- Corey Flagg
S- Avantae Williams
S- Jalen Harrell
S- Brian Balom
S- Keyshawn Washington
CB- Isaiah Dunson
CB- Marcus Clarke

GT- D'Eriq King
GT- Quincy Roche
GT- Jose Borreagales

I have mixed feelings on Walker. He's a kid who committed to three schools and hasn't shown whether he can respond to adversity. We've had issues with guys like that. But ultimately, he's an 18-year-old kid. He's not a cornerstone of our team. I would take it slow with him and allow him to adjust physically and mentally to college. Once he proves he can be relied upon, then you put him in the game.

As a prospect, he has the feet we need at tackle and is a perfect complement to the interior guys we're recruiting this cycle.
I think a lot of good people never stopped grinding. Faith 👍

Advertisement
The board always operates on one side of two extremes...

It's either they can't recruit at all, or they're the best ever, it's much closer to somewhere in the middle & much more nuanced than people ever have time to pay attention to.

I could go back since 2016 & list all the kids we missed on went elsewhere & played well & it would look like we can't recruit at all. But then I could list all the 4-stars we've landed & it would look like we have a really good group of recruiters, the truth is neither extreme is true.

Ultimately, recruiting is not a problem for Miami, never has been, it's everything else that happens after you get the kids on campus that we fail hard at.

We improve in those areas & we'll win more consistently, until then we are what we are.
1000% agree..we need to keep stacking Along the LOS for the next few cycles. Get young talent in those room and have a chance to develop them b4 we throw them to the fire

Diaz has at least shown a willingness to adapt and immediately address team issues. Can’t say that about our previous coaRches.
Agree with this. His first season was an unmitigated disaster. He then diagnosed a glaringly obvious problem in offense and made moves to fix it.

would have been nice to see some changes on defense, but at leasthe changed the offensive scheme.

Shannon:
2007 5-7

Golden:

Diaz:

So it’s not unusual for a team to chit the best here, and then the following season we bring in a nice class on paper. I think we’ve been so numb to chit, we forget chit. So I’m just reminding everyone, b/c I hate to see this vicious cycle of hyping up off season moves, when we have a history of the moves not working b/c of the head guy. Not being a party pooper v. throwing caution to the wind w threads like these. Hopefully, and I like I said b4, I would love to be pleasantly surprised.
You're a real one my man and I agree with what you're saying. And you're right: it is realistic based on our past performance. I think a lot of us (myself included) are excited with the offseason moves, but it doesn't necessarily mean there will be any appreciable change with what we see on the field. Does this offseason feel the same as offseason last year, when we won the portal and looked poised for the ACCCG? Yep, 100%. Am I setting myself up for another epic letdown? Most likely, yes I am. But that's what keeps me being a fan - one of these years, these changes (IE Lashlee, Likens, Justice, King, Roche etc) will be just the right moves that get us back to relevance. I've got my fingers crossed this is the year. I might as well - it can't get worse than last season.

Advertisement

Shannon:
2007 5-7

Golden:

Diaz:

insert Rock applauding gif

Advertisement
You're a real one my man and I agree with what you're saying. And you're right: it is realistic based on our past performance. I think a lot of us (myself included) are excited with the offseason moves, but it doesn't necessarily mean there will be any appreciable change with what we see on the field. Does this offseason feel the same as offseason last year, when we won the portal and looked poised for the ACCCG? Yep, 100%. Am I setting myself up for another epic letdown? Most likely, yes I am. But that's what keeps me being a fan - one of these years, these changes (IE Lashlee, Likens, Justice, King, Roche etc) will be just the right moves that get us back to relevance. I've got my fingers crossed this is the year. I might as well - it can't get worse than last season.

Thanks bro; and I cant remember what thread I said it in, but my only optimism this yr is b/c of Lashlee & King combo. That’s y I keep harping there’s no excuses this yr. We have all the ingredients to be a ACC Coastal champion, and that’s every year, honestly....but Lashlee is our best OC in a while. If the offense is truly the problem....if those locker room cancers that are now gone truly the problem, then we should see no less than 10 wins this season w this schedule.

Advertisement
Back