If I told you in February 2019...

Incredible really. I don’t understand how our “fans” still say this staff can’t recruit...

It’s been said a million times about other classes, but I really think this class will be a huge building block to getting us back to national prominence. Not just bc of their talent but the mental toughness to stick with us through a truly horrible season with the lowest of low points. I don’t see this crew quitting when things get tough.

Time will tell but between the 2020 class, offensive staff hires and King, I’m feeling very optimistic about our future.
They can recruit on Offense very well, regardless of the staff offensive recruiting over the last 4 years has been very good.

Defense is a different story. We've done well in Safety & DL recruiting, LB & CB recruiting still leaves a lot to be desired.

With that said, recruiting has never really been an issue for Miami, it's Coaching, evals & development where they've come up short for the last decade +.

But, hopefully that changes this year with King & Lashlee. If it wasn't for this God forsaken pandemic & all things were normal we'd be in prime position to make a big run this year.

Advertisement
According to the gator calculator we have a number 7 recruiting class with about 3 day one picks on defense and a potential heisman trophy winner at qb. Another high draft pick at tight end. Add in an oc who basically gets 30ppg everywhere he coaches.
We are in an enviable and extremely surprising position considering the season we had. We should be nowhere near this. Consider where we were after the Wisconsin loss and cmr resigning.
off season champs. Let’s see what happens.

Diaz has at least shown a willingness to adapt and immediately address team issues. Can’t say that about our previous coaRches.
Manny basically crashed his car in turn one of his first race by hiring Enos. Here's hoping Lashlee can help him get around the **** track without the wheels falling off.

Diaz has at least shown a willingness to adapt and immediately address team issues. Can’t say that about our previous coaRches.

A lot of posters dont realize this. Enos was handpicked by Diaz, but he fired him after just one year. Neither Richt nor Golden would have made a change that significant (totally scrapping the offense) after 1 year. The coaches we want Diaz to be like- Orgeron and Swinney, also were quick to make organizational changes. I would be much less hopeful if Diaz's response to a 6-7 season was "We just need better execution" like we heard from his predecessors.

Advertisement
With that said, recruiting has never really been an issue for Miami, it's Coaching, evals & development where they've come up short for the last decade +.

This. Always This. No matter what other narratives are spun by those with ulterior motives or just those that are perpetually confused....it's always and only this.

A lot of posters dont realize this. Enos was handpicked by Diaz, but he fired him after just one year. Neither Richt nor Golden would have made a change that significant (totally scrapping the offense) after 1 year. The coaches we want Diaz to be like- Orgeron and Swinney, also were quick to make organizational changes. I would be much less hopeful if Diaz's response to a 6-7 season was "We just need better execution" like we heard from his predecessors.

Golden and Richt didnt fire anyone they hired

Imagine 8 years of coaches thinking they don’t need to change anything

I still hate Blake James for not even testing the waters when Richt retired. But it's undeniable that Manny has the type of relentlessness that you want out of a HC. He made headlines with Enos, won the portal war, fired Enos after 6-7 and losses to FIU and La Tech, made more headlines with hiring Lashlee/Likens/Justice, held together the 2020 class and even improved upon it, won the portal war again. And the 2021 class looks impressively good given back-to-back horror shows on the field.

There is no doubt that this team is much better today than when Manny inherited it. We rightly complain about several coaches on staff. But overall, this team is ready to win now. Lashlee/King are going to put on a show for us on offense, and our defense will be at least as good as last year's defense, if not better, starting with our pass rushers.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Unbelievable class. **** even if we won 10 games There’s some names in there that I didnt Expect Miami to land as they were long shots for quite a few at the time. Manny proved me wrong in one aspect, I thought He was a mediocre recruiter as the dc. However as the head coach he’s shown he can go and win recruiting battles and it’s persistent recruiting. That paid off in recruitments like knighton And others who Everyone just wrote Miami off from getting.
Well rounded class for sure...

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree with you more. Manny totally blew it with Enos. He had never made a hire of that magnitude and he didn’t evaluate him properly and made a mistake. Made worse by allowing him to bring in Butch Barry to coach OL. However, he immediately pivoted and made a much better hiring decision.

We know Manny can coach a solid defense. I feel he is as **** bent on winning as we have had since Butch. His recruiting and managing of transfers since becoming HC has been pretty incredible given the product put out on the field.

We should all really be behind him at this point. He’s giving this his best shot and he’s done a lot of good stuff in his first year as a HC.

Advertisement
Unbelievable class. **** even if we won 10 games There’s some names in there that I didnt Expect Miami to land as they were long shots for quite a few at the time. Manny proved me wrong in one aspect, I thought He was a mediocre recruiter as the dc. However as the head coach he’s shown he can go and win recruiting battles and it’s persistent recruiting. That paid off in recruitments like knighton And others who Everyone just wrote Miami off from getting.
Well rounded class for sure...

he also won recruiting wars to hire enos and then lashlee

They can recruit on Offense very well, regardless of the staff offensive recruiting over the last 4 years has been very good.

Defense is a different story. We've done well in Safety & DL recruiting, LB & CB recruiting still leaves a lot to be desired.

But, hopefully that changes this year with King & Lashlee. If it wasn't for this God forsaken pandemic & all things were normal we'd be in prime position to make a big run this year.

Some bad luck with injuries too. Malek Young was a stud CB and I had really high hopes for Steed and Wilder.

Advertisement
This is how bad teams get better. You cut bait on coaches who weren’t pulling their weight and you bring in as much new talent as you possibly can. This class is much better than Richt’s first year “bump” class in 2017. Richt’s best class was his second year 2018 class, which not surprisingly came after a 10 win season.

Incredible really. I don’t understand how our “fans” still say this staff can’t recruit...

It’s been said a million times about other classes, but I really think this class will be a huge building block to getting us back to national prominence. Not just bc of their talent but the mental toughness to stick with us through a truly horrible season with the lowest of low points. I don’t see this crew quitting when things get tough.

Time will tell but between the 2020 class, offensive staff hires and King, I’m feeling very optimistic about our future.

This Defensive staff has missed on countless prospects throughout the years, even when we won 10 games. In addition, we lead the country in decommits. Not exactly an endorsement on a staff that can “recruit”
well. The Offensive staff is too new to judge. Anyone who follows recruiting knows every HC has a honey moon class after their first season. The real test will be 2021. All that being said, 2020 was a solid class.

Last edited:
It is a solid class and give props that Diaz and his guys were able to land what they could....that said, they have to get better on Defense. The LB and DB recruiting has not been good for some time now. Offensively, if Lashlee is as good as advertised, then the WR recruiting will pick up greatly...

Advertisement
Back