"...I know he's on Miami's radar..." -Feldman (re: Ken Dorsey)

We had 3 OCs under Rick—Brown, Dugans as co-OC with Rick calling plays. How’d that go?

The only reason LSU has co-OCs is because they had no clue what Brady could do and Ensminger is a great company man they didn’t want to fire. Brady installed a whole new playbook and called the plays. Ensminger just sat around and got lauded for his lack of ego and stole about $600K.

Just hire a great OC. All this Dorsey talk is typical Felchman. He always defaults to the UM guy at UM. Dorsey is a good QB coach, but he ain’t leaving the NFL for a lateral gig, and he’s not been associated with anything but “pro style bro” nfl offense.
Agreed.

Love Feldman but he's a typical old school Canes homer, whenever there's anything concerning us he's always talking up some old era Canes guy as if it's a realistic possibility. Even he was the only one in the media who mentioned Paul Davis for the Arkansas job when he was never really in contention.

And Joe Brady 100% designs & calls the plays fro LSU, Ensminger has nothing to do with their offense, it's 180 degrees drastically different than what they ran last year with him as the playcaller. Joe Brady is a Sean Payton/Joe Lombardi protege, no way he's just sitting there quietly while old man Ensminger is dialing up 1992 HB dive plays.

That entire offense immediately transformed into a juggernaut overnight as soon as the young guy Brady showed up & started putting all them 5-star WR's to use.

Dorsey would be a bad hire for this season, until he proves himself as a playcaller he shouldn't be an OC here, I don't care what he's did as a former player.

This attachment we have to recreating the past is an underlining issue with why we're still stuck trying to climb out of a 10ft grave now as a program. We need to evolve & grow, the ****** 80's/90's & 00's are never coming back, this bring back any & every player or person that ever walked on campus 30 years ago philosophy has yielded nothing but failure.

Advertisement
Think dorsey would be a good fit here.dude has high football iq and can get that qb room straightened up.can't be no worse than enos or junior.I'd give him a chance

On the latest Audible Podcast...a little late and I haven't seen it discussed, Bruce and Stew have a moderate dive into Miami football as they are talking about interesting available candidates out there.

Here is an accompanying article:

They start off talking about Kellen Moore going back to college (something that he is definitely interested in doing...but he's a Pacific Northwest guy and schools like Boise State (OC position is open), Oregon (has an opening) and Washington (connection w/ friend Junior Adams and has an opening) may get him...which means Miami should get involved, but thats a story for another thread)...then Bruce mentions Ken Dorsey and has the above quote before discussing the merits. Bruce happens to think this would be a good move despite Dorsey never having play calling experience.

Some other notes involving Dorsey from the podcast.

As a quarterbacks coach...I think his work with Cam Newton speaks for itself. Cam Newton developed into a league All-Pro and MVP under Dorsey. What has happened to Josh Allen under Dorsey this year is pretty incredible. I still think Josh Allen stinks, but he's become a league average quarterback good enough to get the Bills to the playoffs...so there's that.

As a playcaller...who knows what he'd be like...he's worked under a few guys. Brian Daboll recently, Eli Drinkwitz when he had a cup of coffee with App State before going to the Bills, Mike Shula.

Im sure most would say a hard no on Dorsey as an OC, but what about in a Co-OC scenario?

A few other intriguing names from the article--

Kevin O'Connell, Redskins OC
George Godsey, Dolphins TE Coach
Todd Monken, Browns OC (been discussed)
Oh god not godsey. He’s from the gol tree

Advertisement
The problem with your first point...Richt was the OC, those guys got "Co-OC" titles so they could rob a little more money from the University. That's not exactly what we are talking about.

Also, the dynamic between Brady and Ensminger wasn't quite that. You're oversimplifying a complex equation. Joe Brady had the secret sauce, but Ensminger's role and actual playcalling play a significant role in whats going on. Brady's a great gameplanner and great adjusting and exploiting weaknesses in-game, but Ensminger was the playcaller. Thats just a fact. It also was not an entire new playbook, but a significant portion...lots of add-ons to what was already in Coach E's though.

Perhaps he defaults to UM guys because he's not giving his opinion, but because its what he hears from his connections to the University...and he's not exactly been wrong...all we do is poach former Miami guys except the good ones, I guess.

Also, I'm not for Dorsey as an OC. He's be so low on the list of choices, I have no idea how many times we'd have to swing and miss to get to Dorsey. But as OB Coach, I'd be all about it...as to not make it a lateral move...Co-OC with a real playcaller that can also handle WRs would be a decent move. Who that playcaller is, I don't know, but Dorsey in a role coaching QBs isn't one I'd turn down. Calling plays...not my choice.
We’ll disagree on the Brady/Ensminger dynamic and the LSU playbook, as Burrow said on several occasions it was a whole new playbook. And it’s obvious watching LSU that it was Payton’s plays.

fixed it. Meant Kyle. I thought Dorsey was still with Carolina. completely ignore my post. I am a moran.
Naw man haha. I was confused at first that’s why I replied but yea you’re right. Kyle Allen has developed a great deal from where he once was.

If Manny hires a first time play caller and it isn’t someone straight outta an air raid type offense, fire him on the spot. He clearly isn’t taking this serious if he’s considering hiring Dorsey as a play caller

Advertisement
Only mongoloids are insisting on a big name. Everyone with an IQ over 75 just wants a quality OC.

Yeah I think that is the major issue. It always seems we go for the wrong "Miami guy" and then when we want them its too late. Poor evaluation of coaching talent and/or no connections has doomed us. If Shanny really is big on Analytics maybe he will be able to find some gem, but I'm not confident.

We had 3 OCs under Rick—Brown, Dugans as co-OC with Rick calling plays. How’d that go?

The only reason LSU has co-OCs is because they had no clue what Brady could do and Ensminger is a great company man they didn’t want to fire. Brady installed a whole new playbook and called the plays. Ensminger just sat around and got lauded for his lack of ego and stole about $600K.

Just hire a great OC. All this Dorsey talk is typical Felchman. He always defaults to the UM guy at UM. Dorsey is a good QB coach, but he ain’t leaving the NFL for a lateral gig, and he’s not been associated with anything but “pro style bro” nfl offense.

Definitely not a true. Brady the Saints offense and more passing concepts from Sean Payton to the LSU offense, hence his passing game coordinator title. He definitely is not the primary play caller. They alternate sometimes and its based on when Ensminger lets Brady call them by series or by down. Ensminger has the final say so on play calling period.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/lsu-...ion-about-joe-bradys-long-term-plan/85318342/

Definitely not a true. Brady the Saints offense and more passing concepts from Sean Payton to the LSU offense, hence his passing game coordinator title. He definitely is not the primary play caller. They alternate sometimes and its based on when Ensminger lets Brady call them by series or by down. Ensminger has the final say so on play calling period.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/lsu-...ion-about-joe-bradys-long-term-plan/85318342/
LOL. Keep buying what they’re peddling.

Advertisement
Agreed.

Love Feldman but he's a typical old school Canes homer, whenever there's anything concerning us he's always talking up some old era Canes guy as if it's a realistic possibility. Even he was the only one in the media who mentioned Paul Davis for the Arkansas job when he was never really in contention.

And Joe Brady 100% designs & calls the plays fro LSU, Ensminger has nothing to do with their offense, it's 180 degrees drastically different than what they ran last year with him as the playcaller. Joe Brady is a Sean Payton/Joe Lombardi protege, no way he's just sitting there quietly while old man Ensminger is dialing up 1992 HB dive plays.

That entire offense immediately transformed into a juggernaut overnight as soon as the young guy Brady showed up & started putting all them 5-star WR's to use.

Dorsey would be a bad hire for this season, until he proves himself as a playcaller he shouldn't be an OC here, I don't care what he's did as a former player.

This attachment we have to recreating the past is an underlining issue with why we're still stuck trying to climb out of a 10ft grave now as a program. We need to evolve & grow, the ****** 80's/90's & 00's are never coming back, this bring back any & every player or person that ever walked on campus 30 years ago philosophy has yielded nothing but failure.

I have to disagree with you on this. Joe Brady had no play calling experience before going to LSU and he still doesn't call them full time now, yet we all want him. Yes he brought Sean Payton offense in and help gameplan and thats similar to how any OC under Norvell, Jimbo, and etc doesn't call the plays but still has the OC title and help game plan and make suggestions on what they see during the game from the booth mostly. Ed will tell you how the playcalling works at LSU in the link.

Who is to say that Dorsey won't cut it b/c he hasn't called plays before, we don't know if he is the next Joe Brady or not. First time play callers happen everywhere with success sometimes and without others. Reports are Andy Reid is about to make Mike Kafka his OC without any play calling experience if Eric Bieniemy gets a HC job.

LOL. Keep buying what they’re peddling.

Ok if thats the logic you want to follow then, let's not listen when Ed said they are running a spread offense. We know its Sean Payton's offense and he doesn't call it a spread offense for the Saints, so it must be a "pro style bro" lol

Ed can't call spread just because he brought it to a college team. You see how that works.

We’ll disagree on the Brady/Ensminger dynamic and the LSU playbook, as Burrow said on several occasions it was a whole new playbook. And it’s obvious watching LSU that it was Payton’s plays.

Some quotes from a few Athletic articles.

From Joe Brady --

"...from the Broyles Award ceremony, Brady described the in-game dynamic. “Steve’s the offensive coordinator,” he said. “Steve’s the play caller. It’s just my job up there to, if I have any ideas, for him to take them and run with it if he wants. If not, keep doing what he’s doing and we’ve had a lot of success this year with Steve being a great play caller. There’ll be times in games where he’ll say, ‘Hey look, you’ve got it.’ Or, ‘Hey, whatever you want to do here, you’ve got it.’”

From an August article --

"It boils down to this: The offensive schemes came from Brady. He brought all the ingredients and helped form a lot of the recipes. Ensminger put in his wrinkles and is cooking the meal. Brady’s the sharp, fast-rising offensive hotshot. Ensminger is the boss who runs the show."

--

There’s a slight misperception that everything LSU is bringing in this season is brand new. The things LSU is focusing on this season — spread offense, tempo, getting the ball in space — were also the objectives last season. They just didn’t really know how to pull it off.

In the offseason before the 2018 season, LSU had Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael come to meet with the LSU staff and go over some of these ideas. With him, he brought the highly thought of young assistant Brady. The Tigers dipped their toes in the modern offensive waters, but they didn’t fully dive in. When the LSU offense finished No. 82 in the nation in marginal efficiency and No. 70 in explosiveness, they went straight to the source.

“Steve’s a good football mind,” Orgeron said. “He wasn’t as well-versed in the spread as Joe was, and the RPOs. That’s why we brought him in. Those two guys have gotten together and it’s worked fine.”

“He makes the final decision, but he’ll listen to everybody’s thoughts,” Brady said.

--

The other piece of the puzzle that can’t be left out is Burrow. They don’t put anything in without running it by Burrow, constantly asking “What do you think of this?” or “What don’t you like?” or “On this down and distance what are your favorite plays?” They built their playbook with through what works for Burrow.

--

On game days, Brady and Ensminger will be up in the booth. Brady will be next to Ensminger constantly giving his input and suggesting plays for each situation. Ensminger will decide if he likes the play or not.

Advertisement

None of this is true per both of them.

Listen brother...to the layman, Joe Brady's rise was out of nowhere, but The Athletic and others have documented his rise for a while now and their relationship has been very well documented. The idea that Ensminger just sits up there and collects a check is just false. Obviously Brady is the reason for the season - but to completely dismiss everything else is silly and narrow.

Last edited:
Some quotes from a few Athletic articles.

From Joe Brady --

"...from the Broyles Award ceremony, Brady described the in-game dynamic. “Steve’s the offensive coordinator,” he said. “Steve’s the play caller. It’s just my job up there to, if I have any ideas, for him to take them and run with it if he wants. If not, keep doing what he’s doing and we’ve had a lot of success this year with Steve being a great play caller. There’ll be times in games where he’ll say, ‘Hey look, you’ve got it.’ Or, ‘Hey, whatever you want to do here, you’ve got it.’”

From an August article --

"It boils down to this: The offensive schemes came from Brady. He brought all the ingredients and helped form a lot of the recipes. Ensminger put in his wrinkles and is cooking the meal. Brady’s the sharp, fast-rising offensive hotshot. Ensminger is the boss who runs the show."

--

There’s a slight misperception that everything LSU is bringing in this season is brand new. The things LSU is focusing on this season — spread offense, tempo, getting the ball in space — were also the objectives last season. They just didn’t really know how to pull it off.

In the offseason before the 2018 season, LSU had Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael come to meet with the LSU staff and go over some of these ideas. With him, he brought the highly thought of young assistant Brady. The Tigers dipped their toes in the modern offensive waters, but they didn’t fully dive in. When the LSU offense finished No. 82 in the nation in marginal efficiency and No. 70 in explosiveness, they went straight to the source.

“Steve’s a good football mind,” Orgeron said. “He wasn’t as well-versed in the spread as Joe was, and the RPOs. That’s why we brought him in. Those two guys have gotten together and it’s worked fine.”

“He makes the final decision, but he’ll listen to everybody’s thoughts,” Brady said.

--

The other piece of the puzzle that can’t be left out is Burrow. They don’t put anything in without running it by Burrow, constantly asking “What do you think of this?” or “What don’t you like?” or “On this down and distance what are your favorite plays?” They built their playbook with through what works for Burrow.

--

On game days, Brady and Ensminger will be up in the booth. Brady will be next to Ensminger constantly giving his input and suggesting plays for each situation. Ensminger will decide if he likes the play or not.
Refreshing to see someone else who knows the facts and/or goes and finds them. But there will always be those who say this isn’t true. Lol

Advertisement
Back