"...I know he's on Miami's radar..." -Feldman (re: Ken Dorsey)

Advertisement
I actually think Dorsey would do well (and will when given the chance) but I would be a hard no on a guy with no play calling experience right now. Don’t think that is a gamble worth taking with one of our all time greats right now. Down the road? I’d love to see Ken back at Miami.

The fact that he took a job in the athletic department at FIU suggests he may not have a whole lot of interest coaching. Just speculating.

CMD is going to go fishing on new OC and will settle for a retread, heck Fedora given current state of the USS CMD would be a HR hire.whoever it is will have his hands full awful Oline guys who are out of shape Donaldson, guys who have not developed or do not care Herbert and Hillary , guys who are coming back Cleveland...
undependable QB, WR's who need to step up..... thinking a OC is a magic elixir is drinking the Kool aid
issues go all the way to the top.......
my guess on OC would be M.Applewhite CMD's beer drinking buddy.....
clean house new President, new leadership on BOT, new AD group, new staff
hire A.Highsmith as director of football operations.....
ship be sinking......

I love Dorsey, and have hoped he would be able to return some day, but if Diaz brings Dorsey in to be the OC at this point, it's just a PR move.
I'd love to have him as QB coach, and maybe give him some assistant OC title to get him more money. He'd be a home run hire for QB coach, but hiring him as an OC with no previous experience would reek of PR move.

Advertisement
Ken Dorsey- QB/ CO-Oc
And get a proven OC that can coach the OL as well, get rid of Stubbs and get a WR coach that know what UM WRs are suppose to look like.
Dorsey brought a high football IQ, player accountability and passion to the team. He was a leader on the sidelines. Hopefully he could bring that in a coaching aspect. Bring some fire to offense. QB coach for sure. Let him work his way up to OC at Miami.

Last edited:
Personally I would love to see Dorsey involved in our offensive game plan however I just would not like to roll the dice on somebody who doesn't have a lot of experience calling plays.
Dorsey has been and the coaching world for a little while now but not really as a play-caller that is a huge red flag considering the position we're in right now.
I think the co-offensive coordinator role would fit but he really needs to be paired up with somebody who has got some experienced like Fedora for instance
I hate "Co" anything. So the main person isn't good enough so you add a "helper". No thanks

I actually think Dorsey would do well (and will when given the chance) but I would be a hard no on a guy with no play calling experience right now. Don’t think that is a gamble worth taking with one of our all time greats right now. Down the road? I’d love to see Ken back at Miami.
You think Dorsey will do well as a OC with total autonomy and control for the first time based on him being a UM great?

Advertisement
On the latest Audible Podcast...a little late and I haven't seen it discussed, Bruce and Stew have a moderate dive into Miami football as they are talking about interesting available candidates out there.

Here is an accompanying article:

They start off talking about Kellen Moore going back to college (something that he is definitely interested in doing...but he's a Pacific Northwest guy and schools like Boise State (OC position is open), Oregon (has an opening) and Washington (connection w/ friend Junior Adams and has an opening) may get him...which means Miami should get involved, but thats a story for another thread)...then Bruce mentions Ken Dorsey and has the above quote before discussing the merits. Bruce happens to think this would be a good move despite Dorsey never having play calling experience.

Some other notes involving Dorsey from the podcast.

As a quarterbacks coach...I think his work with Cam Newton speaks for itself. Cam Newton developed into a league All-Pro and MVP under Dorsey. What has happened to Josh Allen under Dorsey this year is pretty incredible. I still think Josh Allen stinks, but he's become a league average quarterback good enough to get the Bills to the playoffs...so there's that.

As a playcaller...who knows what he'd be like...he's worked under a few guys. Brian Daboll recently, Eli Drinkwitz when he had a cup of coffee with App State before going to the Bills, Mike Shula.

Im sure most would say a hard no on Dorsey as an OC, but what about in a Co-OC scenario?

A few other intriguing names from the article--

Kevin O'Connell, Redskins OC
George Godsey, Dolphins TE Coach
Todd Monken, Browns OC (been discussed)

He never worked with Drinkwith, he was hired and stuck around for a few weeks.
He has no playcalling experience and has virtually zero college coaching tree. He would be a disastrous hire....we need a college coach who comes from a strong college coaching tree....NFLing it is not going to fix problem.

Last edited:
Ken Dorsey- QB/ CO-Oc
And get a proven OC that can coach the OL as well, get rid of Stubbs and get a WR coach that know what UM WRs are suppose to look like.
In this scenario and in a perfect world where we are not dysfunctional, hiring Bendenbaugh as a CO-OC with playcalling and OL duties and Dorsey as the other CO-OC with QB coach attached.

WR Coach I dunno.

Personally I don’t think there is any way Manny gambles with an OC with no play calling experience when he’s pretty much got one shot to get it right. If he did he’s dumber than we all thought he was

He never worked with Drinkwith, he was hired and stuck around for a few weeks.
He has no playcalling experience and has virtually college coaching tree. He would be a disastrous hire....we need a college coach who comes from a strong college coaching tree....NFLing it is not going to fix problem.

That is per Feldman, not me.

I know he wasn't there long (I think it was like 2 months) but its notable. NFL seemingly values him over the college game. Which is weird.

What we need and what we get are usually two completely different things, unfortunately. Dorsey isn't my first choice...he's probably not my 10th choice...but I'd like to see him on the staff in some capacity.

As for the recruiting aspect (someone else mentioned it earlier)...recruiting QBs is a different animal. They typically commit early and its about the relationship they develop with the QBC/OC. Ken Dorsey has never had that problem and I don't see how it'd be a problem. Its just a different dynamic with that position in recruiting.

Advertisement
Dorsey can absolutely relate to kids. He would be a lights out recruiter. He's a leader of men. SoFl and Cali kids would have respect for him. He needs to get an OC job somewhere else first. However, I wouldn't completely write if off though if we whiff on other top candidates. I'd take him over Matt Canada in 2 seconds.

I hate "Co" anything. So the main person isn't good enough so you add a "helper". No thanks
You addCO to his title because he's not going to leave the NFL to be just a college QB coach. I'm not big on CO titles myself, but when you're talking about bringing in a top shelf QB coach, you do what you have to do. We're not talking Thomas Brown Co-OC here. We're talking one of the better QB coaches out there.

Advertisement
Yeah, let’s make another experimental hire. That has worked out well over the last 15 years.

Please just fking hire a real OC who can run a power spread. It really isn’t that hard.

I agree but it may be hard right now. It's all a mess right now. Who's decent that might be willing to come right now?

On the latest Audible Podcast...a little late and I haven't seen it discussed, Bruce and Stew have a moderate dive into Miami football as they are talking about interesting available candidates out there.

Here is an accompanying article:

They start off talking about Kellen Moore going back to college (something that he is definitely interested in doing...but he's a Pacific Northwest guy and schools like Boise State (OC position is open), Oregon (has an opening) and Washington (connection w/ friend Junior Adams and has an opening) may get him...which means Miami should get involved, but thats a story for another thread)...then Bruce mentions Ken Dorsey and has the above quote before discussing the merits. Bruce happens to think this would be a good move despite Dorsey never having play calling experience.

Some other notes involving Dorsey from the podcast.

As a quarterbacks coach...I think his work with Cam Newton speaks for itself. Cam Newton developed into a league All-Pro and MVP under Dorsey. What has happened to Josh Allen under Dorsey this year is pretty incredible. I still think Josh Allen stinks, but he's become a league average quarterback good enough to get the Bills to the playoffs...so there's that.

As a playcaller...who knows what he'd be like...he's worked under a few guys. Brian Daboll recently, Eli Drinkwitz when he had a cup of coffee with App State before going to the Bills, Mike Shula.

Im sure most would say a hard no on Dorsey as an OC, but what about in a Co-OC scenario?

A few other intriguing names from the article--

Kevin O'Connell, Redskins OC
George Godsey, Dolphins TE Coach
Todd Monken, Browns OC (been discussed)
OC: Power Spread OC
OL: Veteran, proven teacher, like Kuligowski was for the DL
QBs/WRs: Ken Dorsey. That's the best I could do for Dorsey right now.

Advertisement
Back