Hope, Golden and talent evals

I specifically made mention of Hope in thread I started containing my observations from scrimmage.

He's still smallish at this point; but he isn't afraid of contact. We've had too many corners lately who want nothing to do in run defense.

Finnie seems like the same type, no? A bit undersized but not afraid to stick his nose in there and be physical.

Can't wait till Howard gets here and shows some of these guys what being physical is really about though.

Advertisement
The roster didn't/doesn't need to be over hauled. All these other so called "real" coaches like tressel, saban, stoops etc were able to take the talent at hand and add to it. We have yet to see that from Golden in a way it needs to be seen. Hopefully that changes this year.

overhauled is a big word.... I seen other coaches win titles in 2yrs max... I'm tired of this right group of guys ****...

Miami's defense had just as good or more talent than every offense it faced last year. If that's the least talented defense you've ever seen at miami then you don't know much about Miami football which is what I suspected

Here's a new excuse. Half the team was suspened for multiple games. (((YAWN)))

10.gif

Anytime you recruit 9 DBs in 2 classes and only 3 remain (those are average at best) 2 years later you are going to have major talent and depth problems in the secondary. A lot of positions show the same mismanagement.

We need that influx of guys in fall badly. One more recruiting class and we should start seeing some roster symmetry.

I can't wait for the whole **** roster to be overhauled

The roster didn't/doesn't need to be over hauled. All these other so called "real" coaches like tressel, saban, stoops etc were able to take the talent at hand and add to it. We have yet to see that from Golden in a way it needs to be seen. Hopefully that changes this year.

wrong. the whole roster does need to be overhauled except for maybe OL.

we don't have the proper depth at any position.

Advertisement
Nites needs to STFU. Walked into a good situation? Our D was **** last year, probably the least talented D I have ever seen at Miami. So many underperforming, country club kids.

Miami's defense had just as good or more talent than every offense it faced last year. If that's the least talented defense you've ever seen at miami then you don't know much about Miami football which is what I suspected

Are you on drugs?

How can you, supposedly seriously, state that Miami's D had equal or better talent than FSU and VT last season? Also, it'd be pretty easy to argue that at the time of the Maryland game, their offense was more talented than our D. For the same reason, I'm not including Ohio St. At the time of the game, the bulk of their weapons on O were suspended.

Additionally, your point about championship coaches turning teams around. Please list those who produced significant improvements from a W-L perspective in the first season.

I'm really encouraged by what I've read and heard about hope's play so far. Particularly because Hope was one kid (the kid, really) that the Internet talent experts (Fish, mf et al.) we're most sure was not only not UM caliber, but nowhere near UM caliber. Now I don't want to crown anyone off a few practices, but the key comments are about his attitude, work ethic and willingness to hit (toughness), which were amongst the things some doubted about him.

Last year, Scott was a kid many of the same guys thought was a huge reach, and he seems to have stepped up.

Many of those posters, who are knowledgable guys on FLA HS FB, said they were concerned that AG didn't know what UM talent looked like, or what a "UM kid" was.

Time will tell, but I'm inclined to think right now that AG deserves the benefit of the doubt. Certainly as to kids that camped with him (Hope).

Curious for 1775's view if he's around here.

I sure hope you are using the word "expert" sarcastically. Bunch of unemployable mailmen and grocery baggers, trying to make a nickel sniffing HS jocks.

I guess you have a grudge against certain folks. I don't agree with your take in any case. Mfcanes coaches at Immokalee, IIRC. He has a lot of personal knowledge on the kids we recruit. Fish, whatever you think of him, legitimately makes a living covers florida recruiting. He is paid by college fb programs so obviously some folks think he provides value. Neither seems to be a mailman or grocery bagger, and both have been right on a lot of the kids we've recruited the past decade that I've paid attention. The irony of your comment is that Bakas is the least qualified of those three to evaluate prospects, and yet many swore by his views.

Bottom line for me is there are folks out there who have first hand knowledge and opinions that are worth considering. Doesn't mean they're always right. Doesn't mean they may not also have biases in some cases. But if you don't want to consider these guys opinions, then why follow recruiting at all? Because al golden sure as **** aint going to discuss recruiting while its on-going. And in either case, why take cheap ad hominem shots at them?

Not a stich of irony. I lump Bakas in there too. I haven't given Canestime a dime in years. It's a joke. And I don't think my "shots" are cheap, and I don't have a care in the world to hold a grudge. But have fun with your words. I am expressing my honest (and I think accurate opinion). After 16 years of subscribing at some point to every single pub there is/was, evaluating the data, getting to know some of these guys, I've come to the educated conclusion that their opinions don't mean much.

NFL scouts, head coaches, and GM's get to poke, prod, test and review 4 years of ESPN and ABC tape of fully developed men.. and THEY get the NFL draft wrong half the time. You think that some fanboys making $11k a year who aren't employable anywhere in the world as a real journalist, or god forbid, anywhere real in sports can "evaluate?" Lets agree to disagree there. Enjoy the lists, rankings, ratings and stars all you want. They mean very little to me. Do I still read and follow? Sure. Its the E! channel of college football. Its entertainment only.

Even if you think there is SOME merit to what they have to offer, you have to admit that calling them "experts" is laughable.

Last edited:
Nites, i swear, your a waste of sperm. Your boy Shantard was more inept than leisure suit larry. Our secondary last year was absolutely trash, why do you think that is? You say we have talent on D? Other than Spence, which of shannons tards actually played well??

Nites, i swear, your a waste of sperm. Your boy Shantard was more inept than leisure suit larry. Our secondary last year was absolutely trash, why do you think that is? You say we have talent on D? Other than Spence, which of shannons tards actually played well??

:rollcanes:

Nites cant help it. He's still dumb enough to come up with the talent garbage to crucify Golden. What the **** good is all that supposed "talent" when they play like absolute PUSS*ES on the field? Shammin's kids are notorious for being a bunch of cowardly underachieving unfocused punks on the field, then turning into combine warriors just in time to get paid by the NFL. lol. Not all, but a whole shi*load of them. Biggest bunch of puss*es i've ever seen walk through this program - lions off the field when the lights are out, puss8es on the field when it mattered the most.

Advertisement
Last year, Scott was a kid many of the same guys thought was a huge reach, and he seems to have stepped up.

Many of those "same guys" thought Scott was the sleeper.

EDIT: Were you thinking perhaps of Carter or D'Mauri Jones? Because I do remember a lot of criticism from posters over those takes.

Last edited:

Nites cant help it. He's still dumb enough to come up with the talent garbage to crucify Golden. What the **** good is all that supposed "talent" when they play like absolute PUSS*ES on the field? Shammin's kids are notorious for being a bunch of cowardly underachieving unfocused punks on the field, then turning into combine warriors just in time to get paid by the NFL. lol. Not all, but a whole shi*load of them. Biggest bunch of puss*es i've ever seen walk through this program - lions off the field when the lights are out, puss8es on the field when it mattered the most.

I'm not at all disagreeing with you, but I remember when we thought those kids were going to be the next big thing at UM. Fans booed current players and cheered when the MNW crew entered the recruiting section in the OB back in 07...funny in a sad way, how things turned out. Now you think it's pretty much the same again, but I don't know that for a fact (the booing/cheering). Ironic... :(

Hope it turns out much differently for Golden's players.

I'm not at all disagreeing with you, but I remember when we thought those kids were going to be the next big thing at UM. Fans booed current players and cheered when the MNW crew entered the recruiting section in the OB back in 07...funny in a sad way, how things turned out. Now you think it's pretty much the same again, but I don't know that for a fact (the booing/cheering). Ironic... :(

Hope it turns out much differently for Golden's players.

Talent development and the culture here helped those guys fail.

I think the environment and how hard you are expected to work is already improved. I think you will see this staff as better talent developers also.

I'm really encouraged by what I've read and heard about hope's play so far. Particularly because Hope was one kid (the kid, really) that the Internet talent experts (Fish, mf et al.) we're most sure was not only not UM caliber, but nowhere near UM caliber. Now I don't want to crown anyone off a few practices, but the key comments are about his attitude, work ethic and willingness to hit (toughness), which were amongst the things some doubted about him.

Many of those posters, who are knowledgable guys on FLA HS FB, said they were concerned that AG didn't know what UM talent looked like, or what a "UM kid" was.

Time will tell, but I'm inclined to think right now that AG deserves the benefit of the doubt. Certainly as to kids that camped with him (Hope).

Curious for 1775's view if he's around here.

I sure hope you are using the word "expert" sarcastically. Bunch of unemployable mailmen and grocery baggers, trying to make a nickel sniffing HS jocks.

I guess you have a grudge against certain folks. I don't agree with your take in any case. Mfcanes coaches at Immokalee, IIRC. He has a lot of personal knowledge on the kids we recruit. Fish, whatever you think of him, legitimately makes a living covers florida recruiting. He is paid by college fb programs so obviously some folks think he provides value. Neither seems to be a mailman or grocery bagger, and both have been right on a lot of the kids we've recruited the past decade that I've paid attention. The irony of your comment is that Bakas is the least qualified of those three to evaluate prospects, and yet many swore by his views.

Bottom line for me is there are folks out there who have first hand knowledge and opinions that are worth considering. Doesn't mean they're always right. Doesn't mean they may not also have biases in some cases. But if you don't want to consider these guys opinions, then why follow recruiting at all? Because al golden sure as **** aint going to discuss recruiting while its on-going. And in either case, why take cheap ad hominem shots at them?

Not a stich of irony. I lump Bakas in there too. I haven't given Canestime a dime in years. It's a joke. And I don't think my "shots" are cheap, and I don't have a care in the world to hold a grudge. But have fun with your words. I am expressing my honest (and I think accurate opinion). After 16 years of subscribing at some point to every single pub there is/was, evaluating the data, getting to know some of these guys, I've come to the educated conclusion that their opinions don't mean much.

NFL scouts, head coaches, and GM's get to poke, prod, test and review 4 years of ESPN and ABC tape of fully developed men.. and THEY get the NFL draft wrong half the time. You think that some fanboys making $11k a year who aren't employable anywhere in the world as a real journalist, or god forbid, anywhere real in sports can "evaluate?" Lets agree to disagree there. Enjoy the lists, rankings, ratings and stars all you want. They mean very little to me. Do I still read and follow? Sure. Its the E! channel of college football. Its entertainment only.

Even if you think there is SOME merit to what they have to offer, you have to admit that calling them "experts" is laughable.

So, you don´t think there is anyone out there, involved in recruiting, who is worth listening to, who could be considered an expert?

Advertisement

EDIT: Were you thinking perhaps of Carter or D'Mauri Jones? Because I do remember a lot of criticism from posters over those takes.

Nope. Scott. My recollection is fish and mf weren't optimistic on him.

Bunch of unemployable mailmen and grocery baggers, trying to make a nickel sniffing HS jocks.

I don't think my "shots" are cheap, and I don't have a care in the world to hold a grudge.
Clearly.

If you don't find recruiting worth following, or just think it's 'entertainment,' that's fine. But then not sure why you're so focused on belittling folks who actually spend their time watching HS kids play.

As for the term "expert," you'll note I wrote "Internet experts." The modifier has meaning.

As for your criticism that even the NFL gets a lot wrong, I don't look at it the way you do. You can make a fortune in many businesses by being just a bit more right more often than others. The idea that imperfection is a sign of lack of expertise is misinformed.

Advertisement
One thing that made me comfortable with Hope is that Nebraska and Wisconsin were after him. Really like how those two schools evaluate.

I just hope Golden can develop Miami's front seven the way he did with Temple. Those teams had big, athletic defenses.

One thing that made me comfortable with Hope is that Nebraska and Wisconsin were after him. Really like how those two schools evaluate.

I just hope Golden can develop Miami's front seven the way he did with Temple. Those teams had big, athletic defenses.

+a billi on that.

Nope. Scott. My recollection is fish and mf weren't optimistic on him.

Pretty sure fish thought Scott was talented. He said that Scott´s gamefilm was pretty much a highlight reel and that he would have been much higher rated if he had gone to Palm Bay Senior HS instead of the tiny private school.

Advertisement
Back