Hope, Golden and talent evals

Advertisement
overhauled is a big word.... I seen other coaches win titles in 2yrs max... I'm tired of this right group of guys ****...

I'm really encouraged by what I've read and heard about hope's play so far. Particularly because Hope was one kid (the kid, really) that the Internet talent experts (Fish, mf et al.) we're most sure was not only not UM caliber, but nowhere near UM caliber. Now I don't want to crown anyone off a few practices, but the key comments are about his attitude, work ethic and willingness to hit (toughness), which were amongst the things some doubted about him.

Last year, Scott was a kid many of the same guys thought was a huge reach, and he seems to have stepped up.

Many of those posters, who are knowledgable guys on FLA HS FB, said they were concerned that AG didn't know what UM talent looked like, or what a "UM kid" was.

Time will tell, but I'm inclined to think right now that AG deserves the benefit of the doubt. Certainly as to kids that camped with him (Hope).

Curious for 1775's view if he's around here.

I sure hope you are using the word "expert" sarcastically. Bunch of unemployable mailmen and grocery baggers, trying to make a nickel sniffing HS jocks.

I guess you have a grudge against certain folks. I don't agree with your take in any case. Mfcanes coaches at Immokalee, IIRC. He has a lot of personal knowledge on the kids we recruit. Fish, whatever you think of him, legitimately makes a living covers florida recruiting. He is paid by college fb programs so obviously some folks think he provides value. Neither seems to be a mailman or grocery bagger, and both have been right on a lot of the kids we've recruited the past decade that I've paid attention. The irony of your comment is that Bakas is the least qualified of those three to evaluate prospects, and yet many swore by his views.

Bottom line for me is there are folks out there who have first hand knowledge and opinions that are worth considering. Doesn't mean they're always right. Doesn't mean they may not also have biases in some cases. But if you don't want to consider these guys opinions, then why follow recruiting at all? Because al golden sure as **** aint going to discuss recruiting while its on-going. And in either case, why take cheap ad hominem shots at them?

My only concern with GOlden is coaching... No doubt tht he can recruit and develop talent...

There were definite mistakes last year, but I'm willing to give him some time considering the amount of crap he has had to clean-up since he took over the job.

Golden had to change the entire direction of the program, from recruiting, to practice, to strength & conditioning, to diet. Then he gets hit with a bombshell about inproprieties be given to players and the NCAA coming down with the hammer ect.ect. With all of those factors I'm not surprised we were a 6-6 team.

What we need to see this year is obvious improvement from 2nd year players, something we never saw from RS or Coker. Getting the team to buy in to the discipline on and off the field, and obviously an improved all around effort on the field.

Advertisement
overhauled is a big word.... I seen other coaches win titles in 2yrs max... I'm tired of this right group of guys ****...

They also weren't facing NCAA sanctions at Bama, and the cupboard wasn't as beaten up as it is at UM. The depth issues Golden walked into at CB, S, and LB was freakn embarrassing, especially since our former corch was a DC in the past.

Golden is rebuilding the entire program, that's going to take more than 2 years.

I'm really encouraged by what I've read and heard about hope's play so far. Particularly because Hope was one kid (the kid, really) that the Internet talent experts (Fish, mf et al.) we're most sure was not only not UM caliber, but nowhere near UM caliber. Now I don't want to crown anyone off a few practices, but the key comments are about his attitude, work ethic and willingness to hit (toughness), which were amongst the things some doubted about him.

Last year, Scott was a kid many of the same guys thought was a huge reach, and he seems to have stepped up.

Many of those posters, who are knowledgable guys on FLA HS FB, said they were concerned that AG didn't know what UM talent looked like, or what a "UM kid" was.

Time will tell, but I'm inclined to think right now that AG deserves the benefit of the doubt. Certainly as to kids that camped with him (Hope).

Curious for 1775's view if he's around here.

Excellent post.

I am right there with ya.

Gunter seems to be drawing praise as well. Cant wait to see guys like Dortch, Davis, and O'Donnell. Some guys that were offered after camps and live performances.

Even if this group of guys doesn't produce a ton of all americans, I think Golden's plan is to bring in quality guys. *Right now, Miami can't cherry pick 5 star athletes. *We can't say, oh we want 5 stars, but only the 5 stars with work ethic. *At best we get a 5 star who has Miami as his dream school, and we hope that he has work ethic.

So instead of chasing and begging 5 star players who may or may not have work ethic, Golden is building the team from the ground up, and creating a culture. *As our record improves, it will be easier to cherry pick the best of the 4 and 5 star players, that will put us over the top but also fit into our new culture.

I can't think of a more appropriate word than "overhaul." Everything has been a mess here -- conditioning, talent, woeful depth in key positions, mental make-up of the team, poor relationships with local high school programs. And then Golden had to contend with the Shapiro disaster. I can't think of a worse situation. Golden has done a phenomenal job under the circumstances.

And everybody should be prepared for another poor season in the win/loss column, as we will be playing a ton of young players. Frankly, i'll be very surprised if we do better than 7-5. Again, this program was a complete mess, and that takes a couple of years to be righted.

Advertisement
My only concern with GOlden is coaching... No doubt tht he can recruit and develop talent...

There were definite mistakes last year, but I'm willing to give him some time considering the amount of crap he has had to clean-up since he took over the job.

Golden had to change the entire direction of the program, from recruiting, to practice, to strength & conditioning, to diet. Then he gets hit with a bombshell about inproprieties be given to players and the NCAA coming down with the hammer ect.ect. With all of those factors I'm not surprised we were a 6-6 team.

What we need to see this year is obvious improvement from 2nd year players, something we never saw from RS or Coker. Getting the team to buy in to the discipline on and off the field, and obviously an improved all around effort on the field.

The bolded is what I want to see. The odds of us actually winning anything of note next season with this current bunch are pretty long but I need to see some definite improvement. We've had too many guys come in, have a good freshman campaign and then just disappear into Bolivian to borrow a phrase from Mike Tyson.

I can't wait for the whole **** roster to be overhauled

The roster didn't/doesn't need to be over hauled. All these other so called "real" coaches like tressel, saban, stoops etc were able to take the talent at hand and add to it. We have yet to see that from Golden in a way it needs to be seen. Hopefully that changes this year.

They also weren't facing NCAA sanctions at Bama, and the cupboard wasn't as beaten up as it is at UM. The depth issues Golden walked into at CB, S, and LB was freakn embarrassing, especially since our former corch was a DC in the past.

Golden is rebuilding the entire program, that's going to take more than 2 years.

LMAO @ depth issues. Golden walked into a better situation, talent wise, than saban did. Saban performed better against tougher teams with worse players.

Advertisement

LMAO @ depth issues. Golden walked into a better situation, talent wise, than saban did. Saban performed better against tougher teams with worse players.

Yeah b/c having half your team suspended for multiple games is a great situation.

Nites needs to STFU. Walked into a good situation? Our D was **** last year, probably the least talented D I have ever seen at Miami. So many underperforming, country club kids.

Advertisement
I specifically made mention of Hope in thread I started containing my observations from scrimmage.

He's still smallish at this point; but he isn't afraid of contact. We've had too many corners lately who want nothing to do in run defense.

Nites needs to STFU. Walked into a good situation? Our D was **** last year, probably the least talented D I have ever seen at Miami. So many underperforming, country club kids.

Miami's defense had just as good or more talent than every offense it faced last year. If that's the least talented defense you've ever seen at miami then you don't know much about Miami football which is what I suspected

Yeah b/c having half your team suspended for multiple games is a great situation.

Here's a new excuse. Half the team was suspened for multiple games. (((YAWN)))

Advertisement
Back