Hope, Golden and talent evals

Ethnicsands

All-American
I'm really encouraged by what I've read and heard about hope's play so far. Particularly because Hope was one kid (the kid, really) that the Internet talent experts (Fish, mf et al.) we're most sure was not only not UM caliber, but nowhere near UM caliber. Now I don't want to crown anyone off a few practices, but the key comments are about his attitude, work ethic and willingness to hit (toughness), which were amongst the things some doubted about him.

Last year, Scott was a kid many of the same guys thought was a huge reach, and he seems to have stepped up.

Many of those posters, who are knowledgable guys on FLA HS FB, said they were concerned that AG didn't know what UM talent looked like, or what a "UM kid" was.

Time will tell, but I'm inclined to think right now that AG deserves the benefit of the doubt. Certainly as to kids that camped with him (Hope).

Curious for 1775's view if he's around here.

Advertisement
I am right there with ya.

Gunter seems to be drawing praise as well. Cant wait to see guys like Dortch, Davis, and O'Donnell. Some guys that were offered after camps and live performances.

Hope impressed me at the scrimmage and at the open practice this morning. The kid got pretty chippy in a drill with a WR and tackled like a **** during the faux-plays that were set up. If his taking night classes so he could early-enroll didn't get you, his performance should.

And here's to Rashawn taking his talents to Miami Gardens (instead of leaving them at Greentree). I think he will.

I think O'Donnell is a faster version of Chick, but I'm liking what I'm seeing from Golden's recruits so far.

Hope impressed me at the scrimmage and at the open practice this morning. The kid got pretty chippy in a drill with a WR and tackled like a **** during the faux-plays that were set up. If his taking night classes so he could early-enroll didn't get you, his performance should.

And here's to Rashawn taking his talents to Miami Gardens (instead of leaving them at Greentree). I think he will.

Anything else catch your eye this morning? Curious to hear your thoughts.

Advertisement
I'm really encouraged by what I've read and heard about hope's play so far. Particularly because Hope was one kid (the kid, really) that the Internet talent experts (Fish, mf et al.) we're most sure was not only not UM caliber, but nowhere near UM caliber. Now I don't want to crown anyone off a few practices, but the key comments are about his attitude, work ethic and willingness to hit (toughness), which were amongst the things some doubted about him.

Last year, Scott was a kid many of the same guys thought was a huge reach, and he seems to have stepped up.

Many of those posters, who are knowledgable guys on FLA HS FB, said they were concerned that AG didn't know what UM talent looked like, or what a "UM kid" was.

Time will tell, but I'm inclined to think right now that AG deserves the benefit of the doubt. Certainly as to kids that camped with him (Hope).

Great points. Time will tell but I'm optimistic that Golden's evaluations are pretty good thus far.

Yup these kids are TEMPLE caliber talent which in perspective has been tougher than MIA-YA-YO recently.

I'll take a kid like Hope who's willing to bust his *** over a 5 star recruit who has that "entitlement" attitude.

I was a bit puzzled that Perryman was in a green jersey (expected black).

I saw what looked to be some punt-blocking drills (some with DBs rushing around blockers to get to an actual punter and some with coaches tossing soccer balls). It's tough to say how much that will translate to games, but it would sure be nice to see some takeaways on D and ST.

Cleveland made some nice catches by reaching out and snatching the ball from the air.

Dorsett seemed especially shifty during some mock returns. I'm not sure if he has the same straight-line speed as TB3, but he had the quickness and moves to scoot around coverage today. I guess we saw flashes of that with his use in the screen game this past season. Separate from that, he caught a beautiful deep ball from Ryan Williams that brought back memories of Benjamin at Doak in '09.

Again, Hope looked fired up. Some guys have their foot on the gas during every practice and scrimmage, and Hope is one of them. Another is Gunter. Today they showed off some intense tackling.

Jimmy Gaines intercepted one of the QBs (it was far away- sorry about the lack of deets re: the passer) and ran it about 30 yards into the endzone.

Dallas Crawford is about as flexible a player as one can be. He's recruited to play DB. He get switched to RB. Today and Saturday he was in the backfield, in the slot, and out wide. It was noted earlier that he made a nice catch over the middle and hung on to the ball after some abuse. Today he made some very nice catches with his hands. He was taking dumpoffs over the middle, catching bad passes as the safety valve, and grabbing nice outs to the sideline. If I were a betting man, I'd say that he's going to be a very special player for our 'Canes.

Oh, and Jimmy Graham was on the side of the field nearest the Hecht. He was running some sprints back and forth with two other men I couldn't ID.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I saw what looked to be some punt-blocking drills (some with DBs rushing around blockers to get to an actual punter and some with coaches tossing soccer balls). It's tough to say how much that will translate to games, but it would sure be nice to see some takeaways on D and ST.

Cleveland made some nice catches by reaching out and snatching the ball from the air.

Dorsett seemed especially shifty during some mock returns. I'm not sure if he has the same straight-line speed as TB3, but he had the quickness and moves to scoot around coverage today. I guess we saw flashes of that with his use in the screen game this past season. Separate from that, he caught a beautiful deep ball from Ryan Williams that brought back memories of Benjamin at Doak in '09.

Again, Hope looked fired up. Some guys have their foot on the gas during every practice and scrimmage, and Hope is one of them. Another is Gunter. Today they showed off some intense tackling.

Jimmy Gaines intercepted one of the QBs (it was far away- sorry about the lack of deets re: the passer) and ran it about 30 yards into the endzone.

Dallas Crawford is about as flexible a player as one can be. He's recruited to play DB. He get switched to RB. Today and Saturday he was in the backfield, in the slot, and out wide. It was noted earlier that he made a nice catch over the middle and hung on to the ball after some abuse. Today he made some very nice catches with his hands. He was taking dumpoffs over the middle, catching bad passes as the safety valve, and grabbing nice outs to the sideline. If I were a betting man, I'd say that he's going to be a very special player for our 'Canes.

Oh, and Jimmy Graham was on the side of the field nearest the Hecht. He was running some sprints back and forth with two other men I couldn't ID.

Great stuff right here! I would rep you if I could but gotta spread some before I can again.

Great stuff right here! I would rep you if I could but gotta spread some before I can again.

Agree, got him some rep points for this.

Thanks, crew. I honestly can't wait for the spring game. Sun Life will probably be showing off more empty seats than it is normally accustomed to, but it'll be a fun day regardless.

I sure hope you are using the word "expert" sarcastically. Bunch of unemployable mailmen and grocery baggers, trying to make a nickel sniffing HS jocks.

Advertisement
I never had a worry about Hope.

Like I always sez, Joe...the kid came in here, and EARNED a scholarship offer...I've been saying that since he committed last summer and I'll stand by it.

These South Florida kids, when they compete, usually rise to the top, especially the under the radar kids that end up going to the low end schools. There is a reason why those types end up being 3-4 year starters on these OOS teams...they come in, compete, and the survival instinct kicks in on'em and they ball out.

Might be the worst part of the last few years is to see all the local talent that corch couldn't be bothered with kill it on the field. Its a real bonus to have kids here early to have an extra 1/2 year to get up to speed to the upgrade in speed and stregnth.

I never had a worry about Hope.

Like I always sez, Joe...the kid came in here, and EARNED a scholarship offer...I've been saying that since he committed last summer and I'll stand by it.

These South Florida kids, when they compete, usually rise to the top, especially the under the radar kids that end up going to the low end schools. There is a reason why those types end up being 3-4 year starters on these OOS teams...they come in, compete, and the survival instinct kicks in on'em and they ball out.

We need them dudes with those 10 pound blocks of granite on their shoulder. Hope sounds every bit the part.

Advertisement
Dude was putting higher draft picks in the NFL at Temple than Shannon was at Miami.

I think its pretty clear he can recruit well....and that does not mean getting only 4 and 5 star players that turn into studs.

My only concern with GOlden is coaching... No doubt tht he can recruit and develop talent...

i don't even worry too much about Golden's coaching ability. His DC...Temple fan sites thought he was the DC strictly based on being friends with Golden. Some of the things they said about him are the same things Cane fans said this year.

Advertisement
Back