Here's a Richt quote that deserves to be examined...

All I know is it was pure negligence on Richt's part to walk into AT&T stadium with no plan B in place for Feagles. The poor kid probably cost us an aggregate of 60-70 yards of field postion by himself.

Feagles is just like a million other Miami recruits over the past 15 years.... high upside, but with major glaring holes in his game.

What I'm trying to say is that we try to "project" way too many players. Been that way forever. Instead of recruiting a guy who can punt consistently, we recruit a guy who can bomb it 50% of the time, and shank it 50% of the time.... and we believe that we can just coach him up to where he'll bomb it all the time.

Sometimes that philosophy works, most of the time it doesn't.

SEC teams seem to recruit guys who are more "plug and play" straight out of high school. We recruit "upside" types. Not just at punter, all over the place.

Just look at our offensive line recruits over the past few years. All potential, no production.

Advertisement
Maybe you didn't watch the game last night. Fuente has 7 plays, none ground breaking nor creative. They scored and made big plays on.....fades that were really poorly thrown except the fact they were inbounds (i know better than 12 right there). Do you want panhandle schools offensive play calling? What's his excuse. He has a competent QB.

I still don't get where all of this Jedd Fisch was creative or a good OC comes from. He is turrible and probably a decent offensive assistant at best. I still don't think Leach is anything special and we'd have gotten 5 wins a year with him the last two years. Plus his offensive play calls are less creative than fuente. Have you ever really watched his offense or heard a chalk talk given on the air raid? Nothing ground breaking

I was not exactly complementing Fisch, So I think maybe you missed my point. My point is an offensive minded coach, which we have not had in who knows how long, would do very well here. Maybe Fuente doesn't have a ton of plays, maybe they are just really good at running them. But I know one thing. That **** put some points on the board at Memphis and made them as relevant as you can possibly make Memphis. Did he score more than 17 effing points? Did he score on Clemson last year? Did he score on that juggernaut at PITT last year? you know the one that we couldn't do crap against? Oh and by the way he's only in year two at VT, while we are a full year ahead as far as getting a new staff in with "their" guys in the program.

You cannot possibly sit here and tell me you are happy with the general offense and playcalling? Or this horse**** garbage saying of "he can do what we want done at the position best"? Are you actually buying that? What is so **** hard about this offense that only a select few can handle the mental side of it? And if its that frigging hard maybe its time to dumb it the **** down and get the best athletes on the field! Because the smartes QB in the room is not super talented and the good teams prove that for us. We don't need to be patronized. We like watching our team lose about as much as CMR likes coaching to lose. And if I was doing the same thing and I wanted a different result, I'd start to tinker with parts until it ran like I wanted. I'd probably even start with the motor (QB) or the frame (playcalling)

Feagles is just like a million other Miami recruits over the past 15 years.... high upside, but with major glaring holes in his game.

What I'm trying to say is that we try to "project" way too many players. Been that way forever. Instead of recruiting a guy who can punt consistently, we recruit a guy who can bomb it 50% of the time, and shank it 50% of the time.... and we believe that we can just coach him up to where he'll bomb it all the time.

Sometimes that philosophy works, most of the time it doesn't.

SEC teams seem to recruit guys who are more "plug and play" straight out of high school. We recruit "upside" types. Not just at punter, all over the place.

Just look at our offensive line recruits over the past few years. All potential, no production.

I hear you...but what I'm trying to say is all those things you mentioned are symptoms.

The disease at play here is an older coach who is slowing down and currently has TOO much on his plate. Because of his insistence to call plays (which he sucks at), it's probably causing the evaluations upon which recruiting decisions are being made to suffer. The lazy approach of taking pure upside and measurable outweighs everything else and we don't feel the impact of those horrible decisions until a couple of years down the road.

Well it's now a couple of years down the road. And here we are.

On one hand I think it's a bit premature for the Richt should be fired talk but on the other hand I ask myself..Has a coach ever been fired from a top program and then gone on to win a championship with another? Whether we like to admit it or not theres usually a reason why a coach who was at a place that was located in a hotbed of talent and plenty of resources couldn't get to the big game in 15 years there.

No. No coach in the last 30 years was ever fired from a top tier program and then won a title elsewhere.

Its why people like me were beside themselves when we hired him.

Cant say anything or defend anything about the QB coach. I truly can't. He did win a couple of recruiting battles and assisted in getting a 10 win season out of #12 last year. I also don't think 12 is as bad as he was Sunday. Maybe against elite D's, but we won't see them that much more this year. The kid, and i know this is unpopular right now, still has value so don't destroy him is my point.

We should ask ourselves why can't the 4* do the things it takes to be the starter? Why can't they go to class? Why can't they stay out of trouble? This isn't he NFL where the millionaire Pro Bowlers have more clout with management than the HC making 1/4 of that and if you let a kid that has never done anything to deserve not to be punished for skipping class what do you think the freshman would do? Ed Reed never had to be told to go to class, Ken Dorsey never had to be told to go to class. Why are we giving a player who hasn't earned it a pass? Cause we very much dislike the starter? Talk about losing the locker room quickly
The answer lies with the grownups in the program. That’s who I am ****ed at. Kids will be kids, that’s why they have disciplinary boundaries in place. But I wasn’t referring to the one game suspension rooted in an event 6 months ago, I’m more concerned with the overall trajectory of the team. NP not good enough to get 1st team reps? That’s a problem. MR not improving over last year? That’s a problem. Failure to make Game time schematic adjustments on the oline? That’s a problem. Horrible ST? That’s a problem. Missed assignments on the D? That’s a problem. This is year three. This will cost us in recruiting.

Advertisement
The one plus is Richt will probably pack it in when we turn the heat up like we did on Golden.

If we lose to THAT FSU team, at home....I think the wheels come off and early retirement whispers start growing. Maybe we get lucky and he pulls an Urban Meyer and cites "health concerns"

I hear you...but what I'm trying to say is all those things you mentioned are symptoms.

The disease at play here is an older coach who is slowing down and currently has TOO much on his plate. Because of his insistence to call plays (which he sucks at), it's probably causing the evaluations upon which recruiting decisions are being made to suffer. The lazy approach of taking pure upside and measurable outweighs everything else and we don't feel the impact of those horrible decisions until a couple of years down the road.

Well it's now a couple of years down the road. And here we are.

Yeah, here we are lol. Look, I don't know enough about X's and O's to comment either way - Richt could be an amazing playcaller, or he could suck at it. I truly have no idea.

But I do know enough to say confidently that Malik Rosier is not a Miami-caliber quarterback. I know that he missed wide open receivers. I know that we don't get a consistent push in the running game. I know that Travis Homer only got 7 carries on Sunday.

I don't know why we don't have a better option than Malik Rosier to plug in at QB here in year 3.... maybe it's that Richt is calling plays and doesn't have time to recruit.... I simply don't know. But I do know that he had better get it fixed because this is Miami, and when the train starts to come off the tracks, it isn't pretty.

If we can keep stacking talent like we did in the 2018 class, we'll be OK. But if we don't get the QB situation figured out soon, the perception about this program is going to suffer, which will kill recruiting, which will doom this staff.

This is a critical time for this staff.

1) Golden pulled this "common fan" bullsh1t too. Coaches who throw that around are feeling the pressure and are just trying to rationalize fan opinion by claiming the high ground that comes with them being the HC...even if fans have a point (and we do in this situation). I've liked Richt for a long time, but he's losing major points with me if he's going to start with this chickensh1t stuff.

2) Most of our opinions aren't based on us looking at the box score post-game. A lot of us didn't play D1 or in college at all, but most of us have played football at some level growing up. I don't care if you played in SFla or VA (like I did). You can watch a game and take everything in context with a QB's performance...the good and the bad. There are circumstances where a bad throw or INT isn't really the fault of the QB - take the 2nd pick that Malik threw...he got hit by backside pressure right as he was throwing it...most QBs are going to get picked in that situation. So...let's not grade him harshly for that - agreed.

But as long as we're grading - the overthrows we saw time after time, the inaccuracy on most balls, the ill-advised pick 6 where he was indecisive and double-clutched (yes the ball was tipped by LSU's DT, but that was likely being picked regardless...threw into triple coverage!!!) - so...how does all of that factor into his grade? What was his grade? Sure - no QB is perfect, I can agree with that...but not every QB is missing throws as badly as Malik is.

I know he can't out and out throw Malik under the bus when he's talking to the media...but come on. You don't have to defend him by tossing out the "common fan doesn't understand" ****, and you don't talk about grades you're never going to share w/the media or fans as some kind of justification for your methods. If you're going to bring them up - show us the grades. If you're not going to show them, don't bring them up as some excuse.

As for all of the "we know what we're asking him to do" stuff...it's one of two things. In the words of Mario Cristobal quoting Jimmy Johnson: "There's two things you do on that field - what I coach you to do, and what I allow you to do." So...which is it, Mark? Is it that you're coaching Malik to do these things we're seeing on the field that lead to bad results? Or are you coaching him to do one thing and allowing him to do another that fvcks everything up? If it's the former - you can GFY and pack your bags. If it's the latter, then sit Malik's *** down and let another guy have a crack at executing what you're coaching your QBs to do.
Beautiful beautiful post!!!

Exactly what I told my wife during the game when I was breaking his lack of performance down and describing to her the likely reactions that are gonna he made in response to our fan’s impending criticism. She is always astonished by my and other Canes fan’s knowledge of the intricacies of football because she grew up unfortunately but understandably believing that the Browns and OSU were the epitome of football and as a graduate of Ohio University she only attended ball games as recreation, there was no expectation by the athletic/football program to actually win games. I had to tell her that as a UM fan since 1989 I’ve seen the best and the worst examples of football play and it’s a requirement to be knowledgeable of football, it isn’t just symbolism and pageantry.

So when a dude graduated from here, gets hired here, and then starts that “the common fan” stuff (during adversity) knowing **** well most Canes fans know football from being exposed to great football, then it is a slap in the face and inaccurate. Just fix the problem instead of condemning your supposed detractors. This is a response of entitlement and of one who does practice nepotism. It’s very Goldenesque although Richt isn’t even a quarter of the sleezeball Golden the Narcissist was.

Advertisement
Finally some substance. I don't disagree with that you're saying about the gamer, but that's what we all called Malik last year right? Let me state this right now so we're clear....if i'm CMR i'm doing whatever i can to get NK5 ready to panhandle school, without totally destroying any value #12 still has. Plus you don't think CMR knows Malik isn't good? Come on mane!

What QB should we take this cycle? It's a VERY down year this year at the position. Not sure there is a real difference maker in all of them.
I never called Rosier a gamer, because it was his poor play all season long that made games far closer than they should have been. He made some plays, like at FSU, but that game shouldn't have been close at all.

As for what QB to take this cycle. Good question. I'm not sure there is a guy out there that is a day one difference maker, but with two redshirt freshmen and one true freshman on the roster, you SHOULD have time to develop a guy that has potential. Also, you have to think at least one QB bolts when they don't win the job next year, so it would be wise to find a QB this cycle.

I just don't get why Richt is staying with an O that no QB on the roster can execute. Rosier can not do it consistently, and didn't do it consistently at any point last year. Personally I would tailor my O to the abilities of my most talented QB instead of saying, "This QB has a very low ceiling and can't run the O, but he knows the O". That's really what we are settling for?

Yeah, here we are lol. Look, I don't know enough about X's and O's to comment either way - Richt could be an amazing playcaller, or he could suck at it. I truly have no idea.

But I do know enough to say confidently that Malik Rosier is not a Miami-caliber quarterback. I know that he missed wide open receivers. I know that we don't get a consistent push in the running game. I know that Travis Homer only got 7 carries on Sunday.

I don't know why we don't have a better option than Malik Rosier to plug in at QB here in year 3.... maybe it's that Richt is calling plays and doesn't have time to recruit.... I simply don't know. But I do know that he had better get it fixed because this is Miami, and when the train starts to come off the tracks, it isn't pretty.

If we can keep stacking talent like we did in the 2018 class, we'll be OK. But if we don't get the QB situation figured out soon, the perception about this program is going to suffer, which will kill recruiting, which will doom this staff.

This is a critical time for this staff.

Well it doesn't take an expert to know why we don't have a better option at QB.....Roster construction is built in to the ******* job description Richt took.

As I mentioned before this is all setting up as one big awkward conflict of interest for our head coach.

In any debate ever, when you try to resort to an appeal to authority (you’re not a coach so trust me), it’s clear the facts and logic are not on your side. 99% of paleontologists agree. However, when you go past that to define the ‘authority’ as only something you yourself can know (what Rosier was specifically asked to do), it’s clear you’ve jumped the shark entirely.

This is his Golden trapped in the Hecht moment.

I was not exactly complementing Fisch, So I think maybe you missed my point. My point is an offensive minded coach, which we have not had in who knows how long, would do very well here. Maybe Fuente doesn't have a ton of plays, maybe they are just really good at running them. But I know one thing. That **** put some points on the board at Memphis and made them as relevant as you can possibly make Memphis. Did he score more than 17 effing points? Did he score on Clemson last year? Did he score on that juggernaut at PITT last year? you know the one that we couldn't do crap against? Oh and by the way he's only in year two at VT, while we are a full year ahead as far as getting a new staff in with "their" guys in the program.

You cannot possibly sit here and tell me you are happy with the general offense and playcalling? Or this horse**** garbage saying of "he can do what we want done at the position best"? Are you actually buying that? What is so **** hard about this offense that only a select few can handle the mental side of it? And if its that frigging hard maybe its time to dumb it the **** down and get the best athletes on the field! Because the smartes QB in the room is not super talented and the good teams prove that for us. We don't need to be patronized. We like watching our team lose about as much as CMR likes coaching to lose. And if I was doing the same thing and I wanted a different result, I'd start to tinker with parts until it ran like I wanted. I'd probably even start with the motor (QB) or the frame (playcalling)
Gotcha on the Fisch thing and i think what he did at Memphis was great. Not taking anything away from Fuente. Like i said i like him and i think he is a good coach, i really do. I also think we will beat them 8 of 10 times while he is in Blacksburg, well see won't we. And to be exact he scored 17 points as his specials scored 7 points, but they also had the ball in Florida State territory for the whole third quarter and came away with 0 points. It happens, that's the point of that comment.

I get it man, i'm not happy about losing or the way we lost, not happy about the way we looked, not happy about seeing 12 out there for another year. I want someone else besides 12 in there too. I would like to go with NP5 and say fugg it, but i don't know if i would want to do that if we get an 8-4 type year. I don't have any answers, but it's easy to say just bench 12, he should never play, he sucks, but not quite sure that is the answer either

Advertisement
If Rick is asking him to do what he’s been doing at QB, then he needs to be Baker Acted.

When coaches start with the “fans don’t understand this nuclear physics that is football” bullshyt they’re in scuffle mode.

Well it doesn't take an expert to know why we don't have a better option at QB.....Roster construction is built in to the ******* job description Richt took.

As I mentioned before this is all setting up as one big awkward conflict of interest for our head coach.

Yeah, I agree. And it's baffling to me that a former quarterback.... one who has coached 3 heisman winners and put several QB's in the NFL.... can't get the QB position figured out at the University of Miami. Truly makes no sense.

I have to believe that N'Kosi Perry is better than we're making him out to be on this board. Maybe Richt didn't want to give him his first start on the road in Dallas against LSU, and chose to go with the veteran.

But if we truly don't have any better options than Malik Rosier on the roster, that's pretty damning.

Advertisement
I never called Rosier a gamer, because it was his poor play all season long that made games far closer than they should have been. He made some plays, like at FSU, but that game shouldn't have been close at all.

As for what QB to take this cycle. Good question. I'm not sure there is a guy out there that is a day one difference maker, but with two redshirt freshmen and one true freshman on the roster, you SHOULD have time to develop a guy that has potential. Also, you have to think at least one QB bolts when they don't win the job next year, so it would be wise to find a QB this cycle.

I just don't get why Richt is staying with an O that no QB on the roster can execute. Rosier can not do it consistently, and didn't do it consistently at any point last year. Personally I would tailor my O to the abilities of my most talented QB instead of saying, "This QB has a very low ceiling and can't run the O, but he knows the O". That's really what we are settling for?

You might not have called Malik that, but lots of people did and he was. panhandle school was a good team last year. Remember preseason number 3 then down went their QB and it all fell apart. Well that and they had a lot of people who were over entitiled and thought they were special. Let see what the next few weeks look like. If they knew that Perry was suspended from the jump then all of the coach speak would be just that, coach speak about the playbook and all that. let's hope to **** that Perry is more evolved than we thought, but he was really raw from HS and probably didn't have the best coaching, but i agree with everyone else out there when they say can it get worse (i guess it can cause if life has taught us anything it can always be worse) throw the kids out there and see if we have some gamers

To be clear i don't disagree with the overall sentiment that we need someone besides 12.

Yep this sounds like that “we are the smartest people in the room” bull**** the last staff tried to pull
Im off the bandwagon with the staff in terms of bringing us to being elite, i had concerns when we whiffed on signing day twice in a row. Sunday made me lean all the way too this isnt going to work out mode.

Yeah, I agree. And it's baffling to me that a former quarterback.... one who has coached 3 heisman winners and put several QB's in the NFL.... can't get the QB position figured out at the University of Miami. Truly makes no sense.

I have to believe that N'Kosi Perry is better than we're making him out to be on this board. Maybe Richt didn't want to give him his first start on the road in Dallas against LSU, and chose to go with the veteran.

But if we truly don't have any better options than Malik Rosier on the roster, that's pretty damning.

Well based on that there are only two possible truths

1) Richt screwed the pooch and shouldn't be calling plays anymore because it's impacting the other facets of his job

or

2) Richt is incompetent because there IS a better option on the roster and he didn't go with it.

There is nowhere for Richt supporters to run on this issue, he's either guilty of not recruiting/developing the right guy, or he's guilty of not being to identify the right guy even when he's right in front of him.

It shouldn't take a loss in the first game to go with the "better option". My money is on Perry being a disappointment, Richt knowing it, and it's starting to become a situation where things could get ugly.

Im off the bandwagon with the staff in terms of bringing us to being elite, i had concerns when we whiffed on signing day twice in a row. Sunday made me lean all the way too this isnt going to work out mode.

You should go route for Bama or SEC team. You'll never be happy being a canes fan. Sad to lose you man, really liked you and the bird

Advertisement
Back