From the Perch: Virginia Tech

The thing is that Manny thinks he can squash a QB controversy simply by naming Jarren the starter. I think this is a big mistake. IMO, he should have said, "We'll evaluate both QBs and make a decision that's best for the team right now." Instead, he reiterating, "Jarren's our guy", etc.

It was clear the team was energized and played harder when N'Kosi was in the game. Just because you name Jarren the starter does NOT quash a QB controversy. If anything it adds fuel to the fire. The players know who is performing. The fans can see it. I know it's just 1 game, but the fans will be all over Jarren as soon as he makes a mistake. If Jarren doesn't perform well against Virginia, his teammates will be deflated and you now have a divided locker room.

What I have been posting lately that concerns me is that I believe after 4 now 5 games the ACC has the book on Jarren. Opponents are crowding the line of scrimmage playing tight press coverage taking away or strongly contesting the short and intermediate throws. They don't feel threatened deep by Jarren and are daring him to beat them deep which is not his strength. That what a good defense and DC does. Force you to beat them with your weakest aspect of your game.

Jarren has to get out of his comfort zone and push the ball deep. The plays are there to be made even with the porous offensive line. We saw N'Kosi push the ball deep with the same plays and the same offensive line so it can be done.

The season is on the line. This is a must win game to salvage the season and have any chance to stay in the Coastal race. There's going to be a lot of pressure on Jarren to perform well on Friday. I hope he's up to the task. The question is how long do you go with Jarren if the offense struggles?

I

Advertisement
zion nelson is the worst o lineman we have ever had. ever. he is atrocious. he should be benched. his lack of effort and ability on simple blind side blocks is criminal. so much so we should start a left handed qb.

Like these guys have defaulted to coach speak for so many years and always blamed the kids time and time again. I know a tangible coaching number would go a long way with something like this and give a more realistic premise to the result of play.

But like this play

People are WAY smarter at this then me. But what is the coach indexing score on this one I wonder?
3rd and 10
Put an undersized lb at DT
A DE at DT
Play the boundary run strength really really heavy
Play the pass strength really lite

I mean the success rate for VT is through the roof here but how much of this is on the call? WE NEED AN INDEX

this shows the defensive calls are horrid. 4 guys on the left side for 1 rb when there are 3 wr to the left. what the **** are we calling?

Advertisement
On defense, Diaz HAS to embrace the Ed Orgeron model if he's going to survive. He already can't run the team well and getting more involved in the defense isn't going to help that problem. Pair up with a good DC like Eddy O/Aranda. Eddy O is Is Venables available? Probably not. But you know who is a lot cheaper than Venables? Greg Schiano. Or hurt Florida big time by throwing 1.8 mil at Todd Grantham. Mel Tucker might also be available at that price. ****, I'll take the feel good story of Randy Shannon coming back to be DC/LB coach. Any way you slice it, Diaz is drowning and he need only look at another member of the Cane family over in Baton Rouge for the blueprint for how to fix this.
Mel Tucker isn't leaving a HC gig in the Pac-12 for the Gables.

zion nelson is the worst o lineman we have ever had. ever. he is atrocious. he should be benched. his lack of effort and ability on simple blind side blocks is criminal. so much so we should start a left handed qb.

Campbell is worse imo

Advertisement
Campbell is worse imo
He’s not. I dont Even know why people were saying otherwise after the uf game. Yeah campbell got beat a few times and had some penalties but Nelson getting beat 5-6 times a game no matter the opponent which is an issue. Do something, try scaife at left tackle and then move Campbell of herbert to right. It’s insulting they won’t even try either of those guys there but keep trotting out nelson. Just how it was right to sit Williams after he struggled vs va tech it’s BEEN right to sit nelson **** near every game yet it hasn’t happened... I’m sick of hearing Zion is going to be good he gets Jarren killed every game and even n’kosi a few times last game. He’s not good right now, sit him

Great breakdown Roman!!! My takeaways: N'kosi has improved his game from last year. Our offensive line is worse than I thought. Lastly, Blake Baker has cost us at least 2 games with his poor play calling late in the 4th quarter.

And nearly a third one by his own admittance..

Why in the world would Pickney line up at DT? Fail right there, without analytics. Throw in Rosseau at the other DT spot and you fire Blake off the bus back to Coral Gables.

Theyve been doing this almost all year and it hasnt PRODUCED 1 THING for Pinkney. He is 220 pounds ...they literally took a sh*t on him with 3 ol...and if they call that sh*t i would go commando and run my own sh*t and not what the **** Baker drew up.

He’s not. I dont Even know why people were saying otherwise after the uf game. Yeah campbell got beat a few times and had some penalties but Nelson getting beat 5-6 times a game no matter the opponent which is an issue. Do something, try scaife at left tackle and then move Campbell of herbert to right. It’s insulting they won’t even try either of those guys there but keep trotting out nelson. Just how it was right to sit Williams after he struggled vs va tech it’s BEEN right to sit nelson **** near every game yet it hasn’t happened... I’m sick of hearing Zion is going to be good he gets Jarren killed every game and even n’kosi a few times last game. He’s not good right now, sit him

Zion is a liability at left tackle. No way around it. Leaving him in at this point is not going to bode well for his confidence long term if he has any propensity to doubt himself.

Simply gets beat way to early and often which leads Miami in a really strange predicament.

I've heard "he's the best option we have at LT" and that is essentially an indictment to the lack of offensive line depth this team has. OR he isn't the best option and the staff's ability to evaluate and implement talent is less than to be desired. I don't know which one is worse.

In either case after 5 games in I can attest this offensive line is not communicating like it should and getting bested routinely. It's really bad along the lines of balance as well. We are getting knocked over, hooked, shooed aside way too easily for my liking. Seems like I catch an offensive linemen falling over from a simple swim or rip repeatedly especially at tackle.

I'm not a technique offensive line guy... I'm more the look over their heads and see what's down field type... but I can see the stats and they are dead last protecting the qb while getting worse not better.

Miami fired a coach after 36 sacks given up once. Miami is currently on pace for a staggering 60 sacks given up in a single season. Now I know from reports that the offensive line kids respect butch and that's he's a good coach but I don't think I can accept the fact he'd be allowed to keep his job at this rate.

Miami does NOT have offensive line talent THIS bad. It's bad but it's not THAT bad. They've out recruited the likes of old dominion, new Mexico state etc. Etc. And when you consider Duke has marched out a freshman at left tackle and a red shirt freshman playing offensive line vs VT PITT AND BAMA yet only given up 4?

Something isn't adding up. Schematically, fundamentally, **** philosophically. Butch should be on the hot seat. Something this bad week to week needs to start somewhere with accountability. It's big business... why not him?

Advertisement
The 1st INT was 100% on Harley. It wasn't just poor ball skills and hand technique. He completely rounded his route and drifted directly into the path of the defender. That's an easy completion if Harley flattens his route and stops past the sticks. It's still a completion if Jarren doesn't have a bum shoulder that prevents him from driving the ball with any velocity, but nothing can be done about that if he's on the field.

WR, OL, DL & LB are all position groups that play with horrible technique. There are bad schemes on both sides of the ball but the lack of development and positional teaching is the insidious plague that is costing this program as much as anything. You speak very harshly about Zion Nelson but the poor kid doesn't have a chance with the pass sets he's using. I don't know any OL on the planet who could block his man while shuffling parallel to the sideline, but that's the footwork he uses.

I honestly believe that Campbell is legally blind. But I agree that Zion should sit.

Advertisement
3 down lineman only to line up and blitz the LB over the A gap is the Blake Baker ****** special.

At what point did we play in a phone booth for sustained periods against VT?

After this breakdown I am going to need a raise and a vacation. So much to unpack but here are some thoughts on the game.

• Jarren Williams' first interception was not necessarily a bad decision to throw, but a combination of not attacking the ball with your hands by Mike Harley, a great reaction by the DB after getting his hips turned, and an unlucky bounce.
  • Jarren's second interception was not sound mechanically and a bad mental decision when he threw the ball back inside when Wiggins won it outside.
  • Jarren's third interception was a byproduct of being hit, being in third and long, and trying to force a ball into a leveraged position when the DB knew the down and distance.
  • This offensive line is atrocious. The lack of communication and overall fundamental breakdowns that plague them from play to play is apparent.
  • If Zion Nelson is the best Left Tackle they have, then this program is in really bad shape. I honestly feel bad for this young man's confidence. He consistently gets beat on a week-to-week basis.
  • Miami got victimized so easily on a spin move with a 3-man rush (I say the tackle needs to apologize but was quickly educated by Brett Romberg that the right guard was supposed to kick out vs. that look once the LB backed away from the LOS). This is why I call myself a student. But man, that even makes the situation look worse if you ask me.
  • I don't think Butch Barry should keep his job if his offensive line does not improve. I will make this clear, though: This offensive line has gotten worse after week zero not better. Not even remotely.
  • N'Kosi Perry's interception was bad because it was in the red zone. But honestly the CB might have gotten away with one. No way it would ever have gotten called though, it was not in view of the ref but he definitely holds Wiggins arm down and then springs in front. Almost chalk that up to rubbing is racing.
  • I don't see how Enos looks at this film and still plays in a phone booth seeing this second half. I really don't. It was inverse. He sprinkled in under center concepts while being predominantly gun spread rather than his usual propensity to be under center while sprinkling in gun concepts. I felt it was much easier to navigate the noise.
  • If Blake Baker had any feel for situations late in ball games (4th and 17) this team could be 4-1. His late game calls considering he was victimized by the same play that torched him earlier in the game and the fact his defensive call to put Bandy on an island while keeping the free safety in the boundary away from him were not necessarily lock down calls IMO.
  • I really wish someone much smarter than me would invent a program that would rate a play caller's play call with algorithms with built in things like, down and distance, QB archetype, play previously, previous call success rates, etc. etc.
  • If Manny takes over for play calling on defense, I don't necessarily disagree with it.
  • N'Kosi Perry did not benefit because VT took its foot off the gas defensively. They actually remained aggressive throughout the whole game.
  • N'Kosi Perry has definitely improved since last year.
  • Manny might not have wanted one, but a quarterback controversy just went back into his lap

As always please subscribe to my YouTube page and that will be much appreciated. Thanks as always. Go Canes.

So the original video had a copywrite claim due to the nfl clip I used. The new video link will just show the clips concurrent. Sorry for the mixup

Advertisement
Back