? For those who say, "coaches can't let X recruit get away"

Advertisement
When the best player in the state plays HS football 2 blocks from your campus, and he goes elsewhere, it's a failure. There's no such thing as trying hard enough. There are no participation trophies. It doesn't get simpler than that.

Look at how well Stacy Coley is doing in our offense, now ask yourself how much it would've hurt to see what Stacy Coley is doing but in a Gold and Garnett uniform.

If Miami lets Cook go to either FSU or UF, it's a failure plain and simple. Cook is the best offensive player I've ever seen next to Amari Cooper in high school. There's is no "Oh well, at least you tried excuse" for players like him. Just think about it, if Cook goes to FSU, your going to have to deal with him for at least 3 years in an already prolific offense.

Look at how well Stacy Coley is doing in our offense, now ask yourself how much it would've hurt to see what Stacy Coley is doing but in a Gold and Garnett uniform.

If Miami lets Cook go to either FSU or UF, it's a failure plain and simple. Cook is the best offensive player I've ever seen next to Amari Cooper in high school. There's is no "Oh well, at least you tried excuse" for players like him. Just think about it, if Cook goes to FSU, your going to have to deal with him for at least 3 years in an already prolific offense.

Yep. It's a failure if he does not go to UM.

I feel like i missed a few because FAIL was all over this thread.

And it's a shame because that word shouldn't be associated with anything related to our recruiting. I guess you guys should choose a better word because not getting Cook isn't a failure. We are recruiting the hardest, but at the end of the day he will choose FSU because they're heading to the NC game and we're playing in the Chick fil a bowl if we're lucky lol.

how is it a failure? Do you know how hard they are recruiting them? What can they do that they are not doing? step up

Well speaking in technicalities, you're right. You either get them or you don't, we didn't so it's a failure. But the class is still good without them and i love the job this staff did.

Advertisement
Well speaking in technicalities, you're right. You either get them or you don't, we didn't so it's a failure. But the class is still good without them and i love the job this staff did.
That's been my position throughout the entire thread.

That's been my position throughout the entire thread.

Then, this thread should be locked because there's nothing to discuss lol.

Everyone should still be grateful for the class we have without Cook, because it's looking like he isn't gonna be apart of this.

So then this might be your dumbest argument ever. Every class every college, every University has "failures" every year. Just so happens that Miami just got out of a nasty NCAA cloud that has been haunting them for 2 + years. So excuse me if I don't see us losing Michel, Cook and others a s failure when we have a top3-5 class to show for. Failure would be giving up. Failure would be Tracey Howard not wanting to be here and us saying ***** it. Or seeing Coey interested in FSU for most of the year and giving up. We fought till the end and we won our share of battles. With Cook, Dixon, Michel and JC we are gonna go down with our boots on and the tis all you can ask for.

So I guess then you are also a failure. You criticize GOlden and staff for failing yet you an avid fan of the Canes find it easy to just call your coach a failure without bringing ANYTHING to the TABLE in terms of what they should be doing. Nothing that is well thought out ala Vishnu Parasuraman just… blah we suck fire Dorito, Golden Failed bull ****. Bring analysis to the table dawg. I won't let you get away with this cheap lazy grassy commentary. I will call you out until you post something meaningful on how you think our coaches can make our team better.
Vishnu is smarter than pretty much everybody, so I'm in a pretty large group of people in that regard. I'll try to argue on the internet better next time.

Advertisement
Just wanted to make a quick point. Some posters WERE downplaying the potential loss of Frank gore. I definitely remember that. Rumor was that gore and roscoe were headed to ole miss. Some were saying that we had to reel him in, while others disagreed.

So then this might be your dumbest argument ever. Every class every college, every University has "failures" every year. Just so happens that Miami just got out of a nasty NCAA cloud that has been haunting them for 2 + years. So excuse me if I don't see us losing Michel, Cook and others a s failure when we have a top3-5 class to show for. Failure would be giving up. Failure would be Tracey Howard not wanting to be here and us saying ***** it. Or seeing Coey interested in FSU for most of the year and giving up. We fought till the end and we won our share of battles. With Cook, Dixon, Michel and JC we are gonna go down with our boots on and the tis all you can ask for.

No..... failure would be not bringing in enough talent to win a national championship in the next couple years.

That's the standard at Miami.

When Golden took this job, he acknowledged THAT was the standard, and he asked the fans not to lower the standard.

Time will tell if he has enough. But from the outside looking in, it sure wouldn't hurt his chances to bring in Sony Michel, Dalvin Cook, Ermon Lane, etc. These kids are in Miami's backyard and we have a built in advantage when it comes to recruiting them.... we're the home team.

So don't talk to me about effort. Go back to Golden's opening presser, when he took the job. He didn't talk about effort, he talked about results, and he talked about championships.

Winston wanted to play baseball. One Bama baseball team sucks and Saban didn't want him to play baseball.

Yeah.....because his future is really in baseball. He lost the recruiting battle, quit trying to move the goal posts.

LoL what? He is really good at baseball. FSU fans were worried that he would go play baseball instead.

He could have displayed his skills in baseball just as easily at Alabama. Baseball isn't football. Saban lost out on the #1 QB in his own state to an out of state 4 loss team. He's a corch in the recruiting game.

Saban also won back to back national titles, so he's earned more leeway than any other coach in football right now.

The staff was nervous about Collins as early as the Summer of 2012 when he stopped returning telephone calls. The staff expended significant resources recruiting him throughout the process, and when he re-opened his recruitment, they did everything they could do (short of paying him) to sign him. Interestingly, member of the staff had had prior dealings with Gatewood and knew that recruiting a Gatewood player was exceptionally difficult as they'd had problems with Gatewood in the past. The kid had people close to him who didn't want him to have anything to do with UM. They prevailed.

Advertisement
When the best player in the state plays HS football 2 blocks from your campus, and he goes elsewhere, it's a failure. There's no such thing as trying hard enough. There are no participation trophies. It doesn't get simpler than that.
Understand the kid who says"I want to move out of state and see something other than Miami."This has nothing to
do with good or bad recruiting,its sometimes is what 18yrs.people are!

Or else it's a failure by the staff.

Pete just tweeted that it' a Complete failure by the staff if Cook goes elsewhere. Cook himself has said Miami is recruiting him as hard as any other school. If that's true, and he chooses to leave, what else can a staff do?

This isn't really about Cook, I just referenced him for the sake of the ?

What can a staff do if they recruit the **** out of a player, yet he chooses not to sign with said school.

To be a top program you must close on elite talent. What would UM look like with

Teddy Bridgewater
Amari Cooper
Sammy Watkins
Diggs

To go with
Duke
Yearby
Coley

This is why it is a failure because those players if on the same team would dominate collge football

No..... failure would be not bringing in enough talent to win a national championship in the next couple years.

That's the standard at Miami.

When Golden took this job, he acknowledged THAT was the standard, and he asked the fans not to lower the standard.

Time will tell if he has enough. But from the outside looking in, it sure wouldn't hurt his chances to bring in Sony Michel, Dalvin Cook, Ermon Lane, etc. These kids are in Miami's backyard and we have a built in advantage when it comes to recruiting them.... we're the home team.

So don't talk to me about effort. Go back to Golden's opening presser, when he took the job. He didn't talk about effort, he talked about results, and he talked about championships.

I completely agree with your post.

At the end of the day, it is about getting enough playmakers on both sides of the ball to win a national title.

Mr Coley is going to have to have to earn the nickname of Mr 600 in order for us to have a legit shot of winning the ACC in the next couple of seasons.

Adding a Cook or Michel to go with Duke, Coley, Dorsett, Yearby, Griffin, and Scott will significantly improve our chances of winning games next season.

Advertisement
I'm not by any means saying this class is a failure because it's not. This class is tremendous with great depth in the O-line and D-line department and even the LB department. However, Al Golden isn't going to win national championships by letting guys like Matthew Thomas, Alex Collins, Denver Kirkland, Dalvin Cook, Ermon Lane and others go elsewhere.

What was everyone's main concern with Golden when he entered, "If he could build that fence around South Florida for recruiting" When you let guys like mentioned above leave, your not building that fence. I'm not saying Golden hasn't done a tremendous job of recruiting because he has, especially with the NCAA cloud over his head. However, if you want to be back at the level to compete for championships, you have to lock down guys like this.

I keep seeing people talk about Golden can't let a kid get away as if recruiting was so simple and black and white. Kids have all kinds of people in their ears and most aren't looking out for the kid. Family, their coaches, handlers, neighborhood peeps....all kinds of people pulling at a kid and often times these kids don't make the decision for themselves.

**** just ain't that simple.

Winston wanted to play baseball. One Bama baseball team sucks and Saban didn't want him to play baseball.

LOL. If we lost a Dade kid for those reasons would you be making excuses for Golden? No, he's get raked.

Miami, where your fans hate you more than they do the enemy.

Advertisement
Back