? For those who say, "coaches can't let X recruit get away"

I never said he had to be perfect, that doesn't excuse him from failing to sign major local targets year after year.

Advertisement
Well if that's the standard, then every single program in the nation fails EVERY YEAR, multiple times.
Yep, that means one shouldn't get so defensive when it's pointed out. And yea, Saban failed on Winston. He just can't hear the complaints because he's got championship rings stuck in his ear.

I'd just like to know WTF your point is in this thread?

Fact #1- We have an outstanding class this year (Top 5 consensus).

Fact #2- Staff is still busting balls recruiting said players.

Fact #3- Every coach in America misses on key recruits EVERY year.

What is your point?
That when you whiff on a target, I don't give a **** how hard you tried. You're supposed to try hard, it's in the job description for a head coach at a program that's supposed to be nationally relevant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaPHPQt91w8

Racean Thomas (2014, 5 star RB, #4 RB in nation, #2 recruit in the state of Alabama) Chooses Auburn over Bama. Was predicted to Bama 100% on 4/1/13 and switched to Auburn.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Racean-Thomas-at-Oxford-4595/Predictions

You have no point. Kids choose schools for their own reasons, pretty simple. Let me know when a coach bats 100% then your point will have validity.

He wasn't a take for Bama ask most Auburn fans. They are taking one RB and that spot is saved for Leonard Fourette.

I never said he had to be perfect, that doesn't excuse him from failing to sign major local targets year after year.

Are you making the claim Golden isn't a good recruiter then? I'm going to make excuses for his previous three classes, because they are legit excuses. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that. Golden (or anyone else in the nation) is going to miss on major local targets every year. Again, we have a top 5 class and our best in the last decade. Keep digging.

Advertisement
He wasn't a take for Bama ask most Auburn fans. They are taking one RB and that spot is saved for Leonard Fourette.

and they won't get him. He's going to LSU. He'll be like this years Skai Moore for them.

Except you know they have 4-6 RBs that were highly recruited not Armbrister and Cornelius.

It was a numbers game last year....you know that. We went all out on a kid and missed him. We weren't getting Skai Moore after that. It was a calculated risk and we got burned. If we were able to sign a full class, I'm sure he would have been in it. We didn't and he wasn't.

Are you making the claim Golden isn't a good recruiter then? I'm going to make excuses for his previous three classes, because they are legit excuses. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to recognize that. Golden (or anyone else in the nation) is going to miss on major local targets every year. Again, we have a top 5 class and our best in the last decade. Keep digging.
Again...for the 1,000th time I never called Golden a bad recruiter, and I never said this class sucks without him. I'm just going to say this one last time and then I'm going to try and bow out of this thread. If you miss on a big target a couple of blocks from your own campus, YOU FAILED at recruiting him. I don't care why or how. You failed. That's how I've always felt.

and they won't get him. He's going to LSU. He'll be like this years Skai Moore for them.

Except you know they have 4-6 RBs that were highly recruited not Armbrister and Cornelius.

It was a numbers game last year....you know that. We went all out on a kid and missed him. We weren't getting Skai Moore after that. It was a calculated risk and we got burned. If we were able to sign a full class, I'm sure he would have been in it. We didn't and he wasn't.

We went all on a kid that showed no interest. He didn't want to visit, return calls and their were rumors that he was silent to FSU. We didn't even talk to Moore. Bama talks to Roc Thomas. We had room for Moore. We didn't self-sanction scholarships that was just PR spin after being left holding our ****s on NSD.

Again...for the 1,000th time I never called Golden a bad recruiter, and I never said this class sucks without him. I'm just going to say this one last time and then I'm going to try and bow out of this thread. If you miss on a big target a couple of blocks from your own campus, YOU FAILED at recruiting him. I don't care why or how. You failed. That's how I've always felt.

Thanks captain obvious

Advertisement

We went all on a kid that showed no interest. He didn't want to visit, return calls and their were rumors that he was silent to FSU. We didn't even talk to Moore. Bama talks to Roc Thomas. We had room for Moore. We didn't self-sanction scholarships that was just PR spin after being left holding our ****s on NSD.

We're at 75 scholarship players right now......seems like a PR move.

We're at 75 scholarship players right now......seems like a PR move.

So does FSU .. they must be doing the samething

Well seeing as there are well over 30 huge local targets every year and the average class is less than that I guess we're fckd by your logic.

Well seeing as there are well over 30 huge local targets every year and the average class is less than that I guess we're fckd by your logic.

This thread needs to be locked, because it has gone as far as it can, but there are not 30 huge local targets every year. C'mon now........

Advertisement

This thread needs to be locked, because it has gone as far as it can, but there are not 30 huge local targets every year. C'mon now........
Ok whatever you say, but if you just look at rivals Florida rankings, there wer 46 4 star recruits in Florida and a quick glance shows roughly 60% or so are down state at least, and over 100 recruits in state alone over 3 star, with a boat load in s. Florida

thank you for playing.

Last edited:
The staff was nervous about Collins as early as the Summer of 2012 when he stopped returning telephone calls. The staff expended significant resources recruiting him throughout the process, and when he re-opened his recruitment, they did everything they could do (short of paying him) to sign him. Interestingly, member of the staff had had prior dealings with Gatewood and knew that recruiting a Gatewood player was exceptionally difficult as they'd had problems with Gatewood in the past. The kid had people close to him who didn't want him to have anything to do with UM. They prevailed.

Yes. Holding Collins against Golden is ridiculous. The kid is a headcase who was steered by his coach. When even his family members, up to the moment of the announcement, were positive that he was going to Miami because he told them as much, there is absolutely no way you can say Golden "failed" in not getting him.

he got brainwashed. also there was rumors he didnt want to share duties with duke. not sure how true. ultimately, they will run that poor kid into the ground.

Yet the Golden haters claim it was a recruiting failure. Just amazing. The kid's family and friends were as shocked as everyone else when he announced for Arkansas based on what he had been telling them, and our coaches.

The adults in his life (that doesn't include his parents) pushed hard against UM. A couple of them would have sent him to Siberia rather than UM. That coupled with Charlie Fartridge's connections at the South Plantation made it a virtual lock that he would choose Arkansas. Despite that, he told some adults (people who weren't pushing him in any direction) late in the game that HE really liked UM.

Ok whatever you say, but if you just look at rivals Florida rankings, there wer 46 4 star recruits in Florida and a quick glance shows roughly 60% or so are down state at least, and over 100 recruits in state alone over 3 star, with a boat load in s. Florida

thank you for playing.
Div 1 caliber is not a huge recruit. Nor do I consider half the state as local but carry on.........
There aren't 30 huge local recruits this year n the class is stacked this year. Local to me is Dade or broward.

Advertisement

thank you for playing.
Div 1 caliber is not a huge recruit. Nor do I consider half the state as local but carry on.........
There aren't 30 huge local recruits this year n the class is stacked this year. Local to me is Dade or broward.

um, how are 4 stars now just considered div 1 caliber?

IMHO, the transfer of S. Johnson has magnified the miss on Collins and this year's (maybe) misses on Sony and Cook. When some players step foot on campus, the team immediately gets better. For all his flakiness, pot smoking, and 'not wanting to compete for a job', the team 'got a little worse' when he left. He split carries last year and has seemed, from this outsider looking in, to be fine under strict coach O'Leary and his distribution of carries. Losing Collins sucked. But the need is that much greater for a big back (the 200-lb type) since Storm's been gone.

IMO...failure at RB = no Cook + no Collins + no Sony...because no Storm.

thank you for playing.

Never said that. You used rivals and they had as you said 46 for the entire state. So most of them are from Dade n broward?

thank you for playing.

Never said that. You used rivals and they had as you said 46 for the entire state. So most of them are from Dade n broward?

Uh Palm Beach?

Advertisement
Back