? For those who say, "coaches can't let X recruit get away"

Look at how well Stacy Coley is doing in our offense, now ask yourself how much it would've hurt to see what Stacy Coley is doing but in a Gold and Garnett uniform.

If Miami lets Cook go to either FSU or UF, it's a failure plain and simple. Cook is the best offensive player I've ever seen next to Amari Cooper in high school. There's is no "Oh well, at least you tried excuse" for players like him. Just think about it, if Cook goes to FSU, your going to have to deal with him for at least 3 years in an already prolific offense.

But what would you do different to get him?

Advertisement
Look at how well Stacy Coley is doing in our offense, now ask yourself how much it would've hurt to see what Stacy Coley is doing but in a Gold and Garnett uniform.

If Miami lets Cook go to either FSU or UF, it's a failure plain and simple. Cook is the best offensive player I've ever seen next to Amari Cooper in high school. There's is no "Oh well, at least you tried excuse" for players like him. Just think about it, if Cook goes to FSU, your going to have to deal with him for at least 3 years in an already prolific offense.

Personally, it's not up to me and thats between Miami and them. If Miami wants to get to that nationally relevant stage again, then it starts with getting guys like Cook.

It's been discussed in this thread already and I stand by what I said that him not coming here would be a complete failure by the staff. They have had 3 years to recruit him and do WHATEVER it takes to get him here. That is their job. Miami will never be back to elite level if Amari Coopers, Rashard Robinsons, Skai Moores, Matthew Thomases, Alex Collinses, etc. continue to go elsewhere.

People tout Gus Edwards but forget he was not the staff's first choice. If Alex Collins would have been solid, Miami would have never gone after him. Fans say we are "fine" with Edwards but the coaches obviously wanted Collins first. There are examples like this all across the board unfortunately.

Losing Cook would be as bad as Patrick Peterson going to LSU.

One more thing: People need to realize that although South Florida is loaded each and every year across the board, you don't come across multiple Stacy Coleys or Dalvin Cooks. It's levels to this recruiting game and the staff needs to make sure we aren't watching the South Florida kids make plays in the Iron Bowl every year.

Well discussing players we didn't sign under the NCAA cloud is pointless.

Why don't you drop some "gems" as to why Cook MIGHT not choose to come here. You are making assumptions and inferences that the staff ISN'T doing "whatever" it takes to get him here. If you have some inside info. I'm all ears.

Christ, Saban lost Winston (Consensus #1 Quarterback at the time) out of his own back yard, when Alabama was at the top of the College Football world. SABAN is considered the top recruiter in the country.

It happens. Quit being such an overly dramatic ****.

Last edited:
I am going to take a beating for what I'm about to post, but I'm used to it so here it goes.

I have been attending high school games and following recruiting closely for about 7 years (not as long as some on here but I'm just giving perspective) and Dalvin Cook is the best player I've seen at the high school level. Anytime I post something about Cook on either here or Twitter, it turns into "We have Yearby and Powell coming in to team up with Gus Edwards and Duke, that will be unstoppable!!" Yes, Joseph Yearby and Brandon Powell are very, very good prospects and have bright futures, but neither of them are close to Dalvin Cook in my eyes.

It's been discussed in this thread already and I stand by what I said that him not coming here would be a complete failure by the staff. They have had 3 years to recruit him and do WHATEVER it takes to get him here. That is their job. Miami will never be back to elite level if Amari Coopers, Rashard Robinsons, Skai Moores, Matthew Thomases, Alex Collinses, etc. continue to go elsewhere.

People tout Gus Edwards but forget he was not the staff's first choice. If Alex Collins would have been solid, Miami would have never gone after him. Fans say we are "fine" with Edwards but the coaches obviously wanted Collins first. There are examples like this all across the board unfortunately.

One more thing: People need to realize that although South Florida is loaded each and every year across the board, you don't come across multiple Stacy Coleys or Dalvin Cooks. It's levels to this recruiting game and the staff needs to make sure we aren't watching the South Florida kids make plays in the Iron Bowl every year.

That's cool, but Willie Williams, Kyle Wright, Jamie German, Bryan Fortay and a bunch of others were player of the decade types that were can't miss and they all sucked.

**** the #1 HS player in the US, a guy Madden said was the best in a decade, DJ Williams came here was was immediately behind another freshman LB, untouted Jon Vilma. Toretta, recruited to be a backup, beat out Fortay. And on and on.

Look I agree it's a numbers game, get as much top talent in as you can and see who pans out. But there is no such thing as a must-get player unless he's your only hope at his position on your board. It's not who you miss, it's who you get. The road is strewn with the Antone Smith's of the world, kids that we were ready to kill ourselves over but ended up not panning out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am going to take a beating for what I'm about to post, but I'm used to it so here it goes.

I have been attending high school games and following recruiting closely for about 7 years (not as long as some on here but I'm just giving perspective) and Dalvin Cook is the best player I've seen at the high school level. Anytime I post something about Cook on either here or Twitter, it turns into "We have Yearby and Powell coming in to team up with Gus Edwards and Duke, that will be unstoppable!!" Yes, Joseph Yearby and Brandon Powell are very, very good prospects and have bright futures, but neither of them are close to Dalvin Cook in my eyes.

Ok but you yourself put the story on this site that said Canes are recruiting Cook the hardest. So by all accounts they are doing everything in their power to get him here so what Mr. Ariz would you do different? No one will answer the ******* question. Everyone can sit here and ******* throw stones if we are pulling a Randy/Amari Cooper and completely ignoring a kid who wants to be at your school. But by all accounts thats the exact opposite of what this staff has done. You yourself picked Robinson to flip from LSU because he was on campus all the time and the staff was all over him. You had Matt Thomas as like a 90% lock for the Canes because the staff had been all over him. You told everyone on the board not to worry about Alex Collins retweets, much like you're doing for Demetrius Jackson, because he was a Cane lock and the staff was not worried about him leaving. So What In The **** would you have the staff do? Kidnap the kid? Hold his mom hostage? Risk the death penalty and pay the kid?

Personally, it's not up to me and thats between Miami and them. If Miami wants to get to that nationally relevant stage again, then it starts with getting guys like Cook.

...... nice way to dodge the question.

I wasn't around then, but when Miami was recruiting Frank Gore, were fans saying "We don't need him because we have Clinton Portis and Najeh Davenport"?

This quote would have merit if Golden was saying "we already have Yearby, so we don't need Cook or Sony", but he isn't saying/doing that so what the **** is the point of this post?

How fans rationalize a miss after the fact has no impact on anything.

Ok but you yourself put the story on this site that said Canes are recruiting Cook the hardest. So by all accounts they are doing everything in their power to get him here so what Mr. Ariz would you do different? No one will answer the ******* question. Everyone can sit here and ******* throw stones if we are pulling a Randy/Amari Cooper and completely ignoring a kid who wants to be at your school. But by all accounts thats the exact opposite of what this staff has done. You yourself picked Robinson to flip from LSU because he was on campus all the time and the staff was all over him. You had Matt Thomas as like a 90% lock for the Canes because the staff had been all over him. You told everyone on the board not to worry about Alex Collins retweets, much like you're doing for Demetrius Jackson, because he was a Cane lock and the staff was not worried about him leaving. So What In The **** would you have the staff do? Kidnap the kid? Hold his mom hostage? Risk the death penalty and pay the kid?

Hardest does not mean best. I am not recruiting Cook so I don't know what I would do differently.

As to Collins and Jackson, that comparison is meaningless. I don't remember ever saying not to worry about Collins. It's well-documented I said it would be Miami for him, but things changed last minute with him and I got that wrong. Demetrius and I have a good relationship and he has given me a lot of information that I have not shared with the public. He is solid to Miami.

Advertisement
i think this year its been easier to recruit. last year they made it clear they were tight on scholarships and hold off on offering skai moore because they were expecting matthew thomas. Kind of sucks but it is a here we are now.

Hardest does not mean best. I am not recruiting Cook so I don't know what I would do differently.

As to Collins and Jackson, that comparison is meaningless. I don't remember ever saying not to worry about Collins. It's well-documented I said it would be Miami for him, but things changed last minute with him and I got that wrong. Demetrius and I have a good relationship and he has given me a lot of information that I have not shared with the public. He is solid to Miami.

THEN SHUT THE **** UP.

Ok but you yourself put the story on this site that said Canes are recruiting Cook the hardest. So by all accounts they are doing everything in their power to get him here so what Mr. Ariz would you do different? No one will answer the ****ing question. Everyone can sit here and ****ing throw stones if we are pulling a Randy/Amari Cooper and completely ignoring a kid who wants to be at your school. But by all accounts thats the exact opposite of what this staff has done. You yourself picked Robinson to flip from LSU because he was on campus all the time and the staff was all over him. You had Matt Thomas as like a 90% lock for the Canes because the staff had been all over him. You told everyone on the board not to worry about Alex Collins retweets, much like you're doing for Demetrius Jackson, because he was a Cane lock and the staff was not worried about him leaving. So What In The **** would you have the staff do? Kidnap the kid? Hold his mom hostage? Risk the death penalty and pay the kid?

Hardest does not mean best.
I am not recruiting Cook so I don't know what I would do differently.

You're welcome for this one Pete lol

I agree.

This.....this **** is getting ridiculous. Fans (and staff writers apparently) are getting all soft shouldered and cold feet on the kids we've missed on the last couple years in the middle of a YAHOO **** show.

Golden is WIDELY considered one of THE top recruiters in the nation. He had that reputation before he got here. Every god **** stop of his coaching career he was known as a tireless recruiter BC, Virginia, Temple and now Miami.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, every coach in America misses out on recruits that are deemed "can't miss". Saban missed out on Winston for christ sakes.

You guys can call it failure, I'll call it reality.

Advertisement

THEN SHUT THE **** UP.

Not sure what you're getting at. There is no prize for recruiting him the hardest unless he comes to Miami.

Winston wanted to play baseball. One Bama baseball team sucks and Saban didn't want him to play baseball.

The fact of the matter is in a lot of these instances there are "extenuating circumstances" behind the recruitment of some of these players. I'm not going to claim that every kid we miss on is "getting paid". I've never claimed that to be the case.

But people are being naive if they think this isn't happening, even if it is "isolated".

So do you want us to start paying players Pete?

Advertisement
It's not about losing Dalvin Cook. It's about losing Dalvin Cook, Sony Michel and Alex Collins. That is a failure.

This team desperately needs a 200-pound back with Miami-caliber talent. The coaches know that and are working their asses off to solve the problem.

This right here perfectly sums up the situation. We have had three elite RBs prospects down in SF the last 2 years, and missing on all 3 is a failure. Yearby is very very good, but not an elite prospect. That is not to say he doesnt end the best of the bunch, but as a prospect he isnt elite. He has elite aspects to his game, but his stature and so-so top end speed prevents him from being considered such. If Collins was here then freaking out about Michel or Cook just wont be an issue. Now it would still suck to miss on a talent like Cook, but not the end of the world. Missing on all three though, FAILURE, plain and simple.

It's not about losing Dalvin Cook. It's about losing Dalvin Cook, Sony Michel and Alex Collins. That is a failure.

This team desperately needs a 200-pound back with Miami-caliber talent. The coaches know that and are working their asses off to solve the problem.

This right here perfectly sums up the situation. We have had three elite RBs prospects down in SF the last 2 years, and missing on all 3 is a failure. Yearby is very very good, but not an elite prospect. That is not to say he doesnt end the best of the bunch, but as a prospect he isnt elite. He has elite aspects to his game, but his stature and so-so top end speed prevents him from being considered such. If Collins was here then freaking out about Michel or Cook just wont be an issue. Now it would still suck to miss on a talent like Cook, but not the end of the world. Missing on all three though, FAILURE, plain and simple.

Now Yearby's not elite. Jesus.

Advertisement
Back