DT Tywone Malone enters Portal

I'm not a sky is falling guy but we realllly needed a DT. The numbers now look horrible for next year again. Even if we sign a really nice DT class we'll probably have to go dumpster diving for depth again next year. It is what it is. Mario has done a really great job just couldn't land them all and I've always been of the opinion it will take 3 years to adequately fill the roster. Almost all weakness addressed.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said. I'm just of the opinion that Mario is going to take a punch and swing back. Grad Transfer season starts now. Let's go get one.

Advertisement
I'm not a mope but me questioning the DT recruiting is based off no proof of no one on this staff being able to secure elite Tashkent at that position and now we can't secure these must haves. Something has to change.

Big Joe got to go? Or does he get credit for Francis and his brother?

The future at DT is worrisome but we should be fine in 2023 regardless of what happens with Malone and Rose imo

Taylor - 3rd year
Hunte - 5th year
Deen - 6th year
Gore - 5th year
Lichtenstein - 7th year
Moten - 2nd year
Horton - 1st year

Mesidor and Bain will slide inside on passing downs.
Moten appears ready to contrbute based on reports from the spring.
The problem is... Taylor and Hunte didn't play in the spring at all due to injury, Deen missed time late in the spring with an injury, Gore is borderline useless at this level, and Lichtenstein has battled injuries every year of his 6 year career including most of last year.

Moten is your only DT above 290 pounds.. even though they list Taylor at 305 despite struggling to get above 280.

The body types in that room aren't right. Rose and/or Malone didn't fix that but it could have helped. Recruiting HS is where it needs fixed and they aren't landing anything. I don't buy anything that I hear about this massive DT haul in 2024 until I see it happen. Everyone in America wants all of those guys and are going to pay more than we will. Fat Joe hasn't proved he can land anyone yet.

Advertisement
IMG_4281.jpeg

Has there ever been more turnover of an original staff in such a small window? Literally the guys who would still be here are his best friend at OL and the one dude we all would’ve guessed was the first man sent packing in Addae.

WR, OC, RB, DC, DL all demoted/fired. Insane.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said. I'm just of the opinion that Mario is going to take a punch and swing back. Grad Transfer season starts now. Let's go get one.

Just to add to this, every single area this board has flagged as a weak spot has been addressed. And when he got it wrong (Gore) Mario went back to the well. We still have holes, he may not get who we really want or need (backup QB?). But Mario is going after plugging them with aggression, and I trust him and his staff to do everything in their power to field the best product possible.

We had virtually no Polys before Big Joe. Now we have some of the top Polys in college football. Could be coincidental, but I'd say Joe had a role. ... I think this whole Joe can't recruit stuff is being overblown. He certainly deserves a full season more to get his position group in place. That spot was the black hole of death when Manny left.

Advertisement
With the DTs we have now, I don't think Cristobal will be able to control TOP like he wants. Opponents will be able to run and chew up clock. We're going to need to score points. Missing on top WRs is going to sting even more.

BTW has anyone checked to see if Luis Cristobal played any DT in high school? We might have a spot for him now.

I would not say he’s gone for sure. Did I expect him to leave? Yeah I did. But I also expected to bring in two more guys at DT.

Could he leave as a Grad transfer still? Possibly, yes.
He might be starting so no need to leave now lol

Has there ever been more turnover of an original staff in such a small window? Literally the guy’s who would still be here are his best friend at OL and the guy we all would’ve guessed was the first man sent packing in Addae.

WR, OC, RB, DC, DL all demoted/fired. Insane.

Reading your posts last night vs your posts today

bb20-big-brother.gif

Advertisement
With the DTs we have now, I don't think Cristobal will be able to control TOP like he wants. Opponents will be able to run and chew up clock. We're going to need to score points. Missing on top WRs is going to sting even more.

It's 2023. You need to score points regardless. UGA put up 500 points in the championship game. In the semifinals, with a zillion 5-stars on both defenses, UGA won 42-41.

Not to dismiss your point....yes, we do need DTs. You're correct, and the fact that the staff already got 2 in the portal and are actively pursuing more means they agree as well. But if you think Rose or Malone was going to change the overall trajectory or mindset of the team, yeah that's not correct.

And lastly, for the 17 millionth time, can we please put this neanderthal Mario/TOP discussion to bed. It's nauseating reading the same **** over and over even if it's correct, but when it's flat wrong, it's even more exhausting. The best football team Mario Cristobal has ever coached, the 2019 Oregon Ducks, who won the PAC-12 and won the Rose Bowl, finished 105th in the country in time of possession. Mario wants to have a physical offensive and defensive line. He doesn't want to take the air out of the ball and hold it for 40 minutes. This isn't Army or Wisconsin (pre Longo) or Air Force. Enough with this nonsense.

Advertisement
Imma keep it a buck, I was firm on “I ain’t stressed, the after spring portal will treat us well at DT”…. But it appears the debbie downers screaming “why wait? We need players. Can’t bank on spring portal”… were right.

Mopes: 1
Believers off blind faith: 0

Imma keep it a buck, I was firm on “I ain’t stressed, the after spring portal will treat us well at DT”…. But it appears the debbie downers screaming “why wait? We need players. Can’t bank on spring portal”… were right.

Mopes: 1
Believers off blind faith: 0
Better add some zeros to that 1.

Advertisement
Back