DT Tywone Malone enters Portal

Reading your posts last night vs your posts today

View attachment 237862
This is the problem with some of y’all. You filter all statements as “positive” or “negative”. I’m making calls as I see them, I’m not worried about what it says about Mario, I'm not worried about how it makes the board feel.

The players we got yesterday were good, very helpful additions to the program. I’m higher on Allen than I already was, he might be the second most talented RB on the roster.

Also those two have no bearing on the disaster at DT recruiting today, or my abiding skepticism that Mario will attract an impact WR this cycle.

I can assess each outcome independently because I’m not thinking tribally about the program. Y’all should try it sometime.

Advertisement
This is the problem with some of y’all. You filter all statements as “positive” or “negative”. I’m making calls as I see them, I’m not worried about what it says about Mario, I'm not worried about how it makes the board feel.

The players we got yesterday were good, very helpful additions to the program. I’m higher on Allen than I already was, he might be the second most talented RB on the roster.

Also those two have no bearing on the disaster at DT recruiting today, or my abiding skepticism that Mario will attract an impact WR this cycle.

I can assess each outcome independently because I’m not thinking tribally about the program. Y’all should try it sometime.
I Guess If You Say So GIF

Looks like they got word of how these transfer recruitments were going and asked him to stay. I believe the staff thinks of him as JAG though.

Good looks. Exactly what you just said. Now here’s my mini rant and I’ll be done with it.

I still expect to add one DT in the portal. It’s probably not going to be an Uber-**** name, and he may bust…but they’ll be desperate enough imo.

So we turn our attention to high school recruiting. We all know that everyone covets big time trench bullies, but especially on the DL. It’s probably the most sought-after position in college sports. Elite DL talent disrupts any opposing offense simply by erasing the amount of time a QB has to go through his progressions, and leads to more turnover-worthy plays. It simply makes life much easier on your entire defensive unit.

We don’t have a phenomenal track record at producing quality DTs in recent memory. I know I know, elephant in the room. McIntosh and Norton were in six years ago. Willis wasn’t too far after. Since then…Ford? Miller? JHH? All jags.

We’re apparently reluctant to spend money consistently in the portal, which ok fine. You’ll have your Cohen’s and Matt Lee’s, but we’re not spending even remotely close to a top 15 program in that department. Again that’s fine. But where we have to spend is with the high schoolers. Can’t lose these battles. Overspend if we have to, or it’ll be the same ol’ song and dance.

And while everyone is talking up the big DT recruiting class game, I’m sadly in a position where I have to see it to believe it. It’s the harsh truth, and a 6-6 season won’t get those guys coming here.

Advertisement
Good looks. Exactly what you just said. Now here’s my mini rant and I’ll be done with it.

I still expect to add one DT in the portal. It’s probably not going to be an Uber-**** name, and he may bust…but they’ll be desperate enough imo.

So we turn our attention to high school recruiting. We all know that everyone covets big time trench bullies, but especially on the DL. It’s probably the most sought-after position in college sports. Elite DL talent disrupts any opposing offense simply by erasing the amount of time a QB has to go through his progressions, and leads to more turnover-worthy plays. It simply makes life much easier on your entire defensive unit.

We don’t have a phenomenal track record at producing quality DTs in recent memory. I know I know, elephant in the room. McIntosh and Norton were in six years ago. Willis wasn’t too far after. Since then…Ford? Miller? JHH? All jags.

We’re apparently reluctant to spend money consistently in the portal, which ok fine. You’ll have your Cohen’s and Matt Lee’s, but we’re not spending even remotely close to a top 15 program in that department. Again that’s fine. But where we have to spend is with the high schoolers. Can’t lose these battles. Overspend if we have to, or it’ll be the same ol’ song and dance.

And while everyone is talking up the big DT recruiting class game, I’m sadly in a position where I have to see it to believe it. It’s the harsh truth, and a 6-6 season won’t get those guys coming here.

1. Hopefully Guidrys scheme in action attracts the trenches

2. LT blowing up and drafted would help

3. Hopefully selling immediate, seriously immediate playing time helps the pitch for HS recruits

1. Hopefully Guidrys scheme in action attracts the trenches

2. LT blowing up and drafted would help

3. Hopefully selling immediate, seriously immediate playing time helps the pitch for HS recruits
All of the above could very well happen. I’m a huge believer in Guidry and what he can do for this defense. I expect a dramatic jump in havoc and overall production. And this is LT’s money year, it’s really now or never for the kid. As gifted as he is and can be, he goes missing for large chunks of games.

Playing time to high schoolers should matter, although DT is a tough position because these are 18-year olds going against 22/23 year-old grown men. The Malone saga makes me shake my head because unless it’s NIL or baseball, he’s going there to be a third stringer. It’s nothing against the kid, but everyone in Taint’s two deep post Spring ball is better. So Miami, a team that can offer significant playing time due to a lack of depth at the position and what we assume is a competitive NIL deal, is thought of as a lesser program (no surprise)…but so much so, that he’d rather ride the pine all 2023 and maybe crack the two-deep in 2024.

Maybe he’s not serious about football, idk. But however you want to look at it, the optics definitely don’t look good.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Of course we get bad news after last night's good news, following this team is the ultimate roller coaster.

Advertisement
I would say wanted both. Needed one.
I hear you, but I disagree.

I thought we needed both. I can see how "perhaps it works out with one" and "maybe, somehow, if we get lucky and everything falls into place it works out with none."

Given the class separation of our current DTs - who's ready, who's not, etc. - and who'll be gone even after this season, I've long thought and stated on the board that we needed two DTs with, ideally, one who'd have multiple years of eligibility. Getting zero is a problem and we revert to hope and prayer (maybe this time it will work, but...).

I‘d go back and kick the super swampers on Rose before I settle. Maybe get him some bows like Joe Rogan uses, throw in a big truck and some four wheelers in a trailer lol
****, I got the hookup for all dat. Tell Ole‘ boy to hit my line.

Advertisement
Back