Don Chaney thoughts.....

I don’t think OP is trying to be a jerk and that matters.

If I lock a thread like this nobody learns anything. If it stays open then hopefully people realize how detached from reality they can become, even about players they like.
So wise. With great power comes great responsibility.

Advertisement
He looked nervous and didn't play well. McGahee looked the same the year before he set all the records here.

Perspective. But glad to see you're still a fan after 2 games.
I was too young to see McGahee back then but you're right perspective matters...

The fan comment was extra....

I’m just glad we get to see both freshman play often. Chaney is a big *** dude who is flat out fast. We hardly saw Cam or Lingard as true freshmen whereas Lashlee is intentionally getting all 3 to eat. As soon as Rooster scored it was Chaney getting the reps. I bet Payton would have been involved had he traveled.
Also speaks to just a bit of coaching competence. When you’re recruiting NFL level RBs, it’s highly unlikely that you’ll get them for longer than 3 years. Get them involved early and often so that they’re ready to take off in year 2 and have huge years in their $ year.

Watched the go route again. Not making excuses but that play was designed to go to Wiggins over the middle. Chaney was running the go to clear out the underneath. Wiggins was wide open. King missed that read.

Advertisement
All Chaney's testing numbers suggests he's fast, but I personally have a hard time judging real speed from high school film against high school competition. I believe they replayed his 1v1 right after the play was over and seeing this big dude ABSOLUTELY MOVIN' in HD on a big screen I did a double-take when I realized it was Chaney. Already 200+ lbs. and just a teenager, future looks bright. I can imagine as the season goes on, after Cam and Rooster cut a defense up, that Chaney comes in and busts a huge run in the second half of games.

Watched the go route again. Not making excuses but that play was designed to go to Wiggins over the middle. Chaney was running the go to clear out the underneath. Wiggins was wide open. King missed that read.
If you have a wheel route open for a TD you take that over a shallow route. King made the right throw.

**** if only we had a RB that could’ve gotten over 130 yards in the first 2 games, we’d be ok at the position. In all seriousness, relax bro. He is the 3rd back and a true freshman learning an entirely new scheme that what he is accustomed to. Not worried at all

Advertisement
I was and still am a huge Chaney fan. His potential is stupid high and the speed he showed on that 9 route was crazy for a guy his size.

but overall I was disappointed with his play. His vision looked awful and he's too impatient. He looked like a freshman on that 9 route too when he didn't look for the ball( it was a really good throw by king). He also whiffed on a block on the TD throw to Brevin.

I know it's only game 2 and Chaney can easily improve on his vision/patience through the season. Seems like he graded out as our worst player according to PFF.
So you are saying a freshman looked like a freshman. Outstanding take.

If you have a wheel route open for a TD you take that over a shallow route. King made the right throw.
Depends I guess. It wasn’t a wheel route. He lined up wide and ran a straight go pattern, which seemed to be a decoy route by the way he played it. When you say open, he had one step on defender. Is he used to playing that role in practice? Did not look like it. Looked like he never once thought ball was coming to him. Wiggins on other hand is a receiver and had three steps on his man. But either way, Chaney needs to learn from it and understand he should never give up on a play.

I would say there is no reason for this thread. Dumb take on a kid in his 2nd career game lol. No **** he looked like a freshmen. HE IS ONE! Give the kid time

Advertisement
You got a time stamp on that play or a link?

It´s way too early to criticize any true freshman. Chaney has some nice attributes and has a very high ceiling. However, right now gimme more Rooster and less Chaney (both should play). That's simply based on what my eyes are seeing given our scheme.

We can revisit the debate as the season progresses and their careers evolve. That's the benefit And beauty of signing two great backs. Play the hot hand...

I was and still am a huge Chaney fan. His potential is stupid high and the speed he showed on that 9 route was crazy for a guy his size.

but overall I was disappointed with his play. His vision looked awful and he's too impatient. He looked like a freshman on that 9 route too when he didn't look for the ball( it was a really good throw by king). He also whiffed on a block on the TD throw to Brevin.

I know it's only game 2 and Chaney can easily improve on his vision/patience through the season. Seems like he graded out as our worst player according to PFF.
Relax the kid is a True freshman and he don’t get enough carries to even get in rhythm for us to fully judge him ,i was upset that he didn’t locate the ball on the 9 route but it’s learning curve for him , I’m sure he will be fine.

Advertisement
Chaney & Knighton have had a couple runs where they trip themselves up because their legs are moving too fast. I'd chlk this up to excitement/nerves. They'll settle in, and get more comfortable after a couple games under their belts.

LOL. On my list of concerns about the Miami Hurricanes, Chaney being a good college back is last.

Advertisement
Back