Diamond in the Rough emerging...

Just an aside, but what makes these guys "diamonds in the rough". The fact that they can come in and in their first camp make plays at this rate makes it seem more like mis-evaluations by the rating services. Hopefully, this is an indication that our evaluations are improving, we can use a lower bust rate.

IMO, a true diamond in the rough would be someone with solid traits but needs a couple of years of development to be effective.
I think you just described Jordan Miller and hopefully Zion.

Advertisement
For my money he will. And the next time he tests at the 40 I promise the narrative will switch. Football is football at the end of the day to me. He’ll get faster and he’ll be a better player than guys who can only test well.
Football is football doesn't address his alarming lack of speed. I understand you're a Houston guy and are going to honk for the Texas guys.

There's no "narrative." Go ahead and try to pull the Michael Jordan technique to motivate yourself, but why the fck would any UM fans hate Flagg for no reason? He's a great kid from all reports, a hard worker, an excellent HS player, a guy who wanted to come here. I love everything about him except his slow feet.

Maybe he'll compensate for his slow feet by being so smart and instinctive. We'll see, but I'm pulling for him all the way. It might hurt the "you guys hated him and now look at him" Michael Jordan style narrative some people are waiting to flaunt, but I never hated him. Just didn't like his glaring lack of speed.

Football is football doesn't address his alarming lack of speed. I understand you're a Houston guy and are going to honk for the Texas guys.

There's no "narrative." Go ahead and try to pull the Michael Jordan technique to motivate yourself, but why the fck would any UM fans hate Flagg for no reason? He's a great kid from all reports, a hard worker, an excellent HS player, a guy who wanted to come here. I love everything about him except his slow feet.

Maybe he'll compensate for his slow feet by being so smart and instinctive. We'll see, but I'm pulling for him all the way. It might hurt the "you guys hated him and now look at him" Michael Jordan style narrative some people are waiting to flaunt, but I never hated him. Just didn't like his glaring lack of speed.
You’re also just one person and you usually articulate your reasons for not liking a player or scheme or whatever it may be. I’m speaking to everyone while talking to you and maybe I shouldn’t do that. Your concerns are fair

Advertisement
You’re also just one person and you usually articulate your reasons for not liking a player or scheme or whatever it may be. I’m speaking to everyone while talking to you and maybe I shouldn’t do that. Your concerns are fair
Peace, dude. We're on the same exact page. We both want what's best for Flagg and UM.

Don't say Flagg played well. CIS already confirmed he was slow and has not business in a Hurricanes uniform.
i didnt love him so i cant talk. I heard he doesnt have great speed but he has very good instincts.

Advertisement
Also keep an eye on Marcus Clarke. All the kid has done is come in as a true freshman at a new position and lead the team in INTs thus far in Fall camp. That's no small feat. Not saying that the kid is going to be Philip Buchanon 2.0 or that he's going to take someone's spot in the 2 deep this fall but the kid has my attention.

That is one of the things that make Spring/Fall camp so exciting. Once in a while you get a kid that wasn't super hyped or expected to contribute immediately and for some reason they come in and just "get it" right out of the gate. Convesrely you also get the very highly touted kids who are high 4 star maybe 5 who are expected to factor in right away but it ends up taking 2 years for the light bulb to come on. That's why you just keep stacking and let the wars on Greentree sort it out. **** I love this game!
Hope he has a Malek Young type of impact for us.

Im sure this was discussed in the scrimmage chat, but figured i'd put it in its own thread... is Brian Balom Turning into a legit dude on this team? the stat sheet was unreal yesterday.. idk if he was playing against the walk-ons or the 1st teamers but still..

according to 247 he had only one other p5 offer, and hes already coming to the U and showing out.. would love to hear some hot takes on the kid.. how would the depth chart look next year assuming one or 2 of the safetys declare & now with Balom in the fold ??
I haven’t watched anything this month but not surprised by the reports. He was tough, liked contact and had instincts from what I recall from recruiting. Never put that much stock into other offers. It is relevant but there are reasons why sometimes. Question is our own evals. First month at the U is a showing out if real but do see him as a legit potential kid.

Advertisement
Crazy thing is ...thats what it is. LOL

When i coached agaisnt him last year we had a div 1 wr...and we couldnt get that mfer open passed him..he was always over the top of it.

I like his trajectory barring injuries of a 2 year starter for us
If he's a 2 year starter for us it means he will likely become an all conference or better since he will be competing with studs like Avante,JW,Kinchens and Harrell plus whoever we sign in these next couple classes.

Flagg had a pretty decent shuttle. Watching film he doesnt look like a 5 second 40 guy. Are there multiple 40 times of 5 second or just the one 4.9 at the opening?

Advertisement
Would be nice for some of these guys to play specials. Tired of watching our starting linebacker or corner on kick coverage. We don’t have depth for that...

The special teams coverage teams should get a nice upgrade with all of these fast rangy athletes coming in at backer and safety...

As much as we all liked Jimmy Murphy beating everyone down the field on punt and kick coverage, it is a great thing to see teams dominating with young talented players who are going to develop into killers...

Thats where the talent gap becomes apparent when teams are heading for conference championship level football...

Hope he has a Malek Young type of impact for us.
I would love to see a scenario in which Marcus Clarke forces the staff to give him PT because he proves that he can contribute. Maybe he can fight his way to a shot at Nickel CB. Then again maybe he doesn't but puts real fear into the dude right ahead of him forcing him into taking his game up another level. The more gamers we have fighting it out for reps at every position the better we become.

It's about being hungry. It's about fighting for a shot to make a living from this game. It's about hungry driven kids like a Brian Balom, Marcus Clarke, Jared Harrison Hunte, D'erique King, and Keyshawn Smith knocking the sense of entitlement out of some lazy half stepping highly touted primadonna's mouth(Nobody in particular).

Guys, if y’all read my other posts about our WR Corp, especially about my thoughts Worsham (transfer candidate)... I’m here to tell you the opposite about Smith. Saw Smith, and I think he’s going to be ONE of Miami’s best WR in the past decade (Excluding Richards cause he didn’t get to finish his career). He has the work ethic, the hands, size, not blazing speed but great football speed, and most importantly... THE PERSONALITY! I love that Miami got this kid!

Advertisement
Back