Diamond in the Rough emerging...

Im sure this was discussed in the scrimmage chat, but figured i'd put it in its own thread... is Brian Balom Turning into a legit dude on this team? the stat sheet was unreal yesterday.. idk if he was playing against the walk-ons or the 1st teamers but still..

according to 247 he had only one other p5 offer, and hes already coming to the U and showing out.. would love to hear some hot takes on the kid.. how would the depth chart look next year assuming one or 2 of the safetys declare & now with Balom in the fold ??
I think we are finally starting to see some legit depth at multiple positions. The safety position is loaded with talented depth. This is what a UM scrimmage should look like. Playmakers, speed and insane competition everywhere. The good news is that the level of talent and skill will only get better and better. The next 2-3 seasons should be very exciting.

Advertisement
Well he performed really well at paradise with other big time talent around.

I thought his testing numbers were very solid too.

4.63 forty
4.34 Short shuttle
32.5 vertical
Those numbers are good especially for a true frosh. I always liked the Balom pickup. The part about the only 1 other P5 offer sounds doubtful to me though.

Im sure this was discussed in the scrimmage chat, but figured i'd put it in its own thread... is Brian Balom Turning into a legit dude on this team? the stat sheet was unreal yesterday.. idk if he was playing against the walk-ons or the 1st teamers but still..

according to 247 he had only one other p5 offer, and hes already coming to the U and showing out.. would love to hear some hot takes on the kid.. how would the depth chart look next year assuming one or 2 of the safetys declare & now with Balom in the fold ??
LoL, he's been legit, the problem is people keep getting caught up in these nerd recruiting site rankings and not paying attention, 1st off that man not scared of no competition and when he plays, he almost always play like he's the best player on the field. He's an old school Cane, has a high football I.Q., and is real mature out their on that field, these are the type of guys that made UM Great, they gone have a hard time keeping brian off the field. He's one of those guys that make big plays when people not expecting it, he's a natural on that back end. Coach rumph and banda got guys who out to dominate again, if football is played going to be fun to watch!

Advertisement
Balom was unbelievable at Paradise. He made his name that day.

I can see him making an early impact similar to Anthony Reddick. College-ready and solid in all categories. Hopefully the rest of his career turns out better than Reddick, but they are similar as freshmen.
People I trust mike him. I actually heard flagg has played well so far. Good instincts.

Advertisement
Also keep an eye on Marcus Clarke. All the kid has done is come in as a true freshman at a new position and lead the team in INTs thus far in Fall camp. That's no small feat. Not saying that the kid is going to be Philip Buchanon 2.0 or that he's going to take someone's spot in the 2 deep this fall but the kid has my attention.

That is one of the things that make Spring/Fall camp so exciting. Once in a while you get a kid that wasn't super hyped or expected to contribute immediately and for some reason they come in and just "get it" right out of the gate. Convesrely you also get the very highly touted kids who are high 4 star maybe 5 who are expected to factor in right away but it ends up taking 2 years for the light bulb to come on. That's why you just keep stacking and let the wars on Greentree sort it out. **** I love this game!

Exactly the type of physical attributes you want to see in an "underrated" prospect.
Exactly. You can’t coach up good athleticism. We joke about diamond in the rough type guys because they constantly flopped under Golden and Shannon. Those coaches made the mistake of targeting guys were not great athletes and who were undersized because they were smart and coachable. Having smart, hard workers on your team is great but if they’re 5’8” running a 5.2, they’re not going to really help.
Not sure how Ballom slipped through the cracks because Miramar is a well known program for putting out good players. Usually you can find these type of guys at non traditional powerhouses. A good athlete flying under the radar on a bad team. Or a good athlete playing out of position because his high school coach is a doofus.

Advertisement
Also keep an eye on Marcus Clarke. All the kid has done is come in as a true freshman at a new position and lead the team in INTs thus far in Fall camp. That's no small feat. Not saying that the kid is going to be Philip Buchanon 2.0 or that he's going to take someone's spot in the 2 deep this fall but the kid has my attention.

That is one of the things that make Spring/Fall camp so exciting. Once in a while you get a kid that wasn't super hyped or expected to contribute immediately and for some reason they come in and just "get it" right out of the gate. Convesrely you also get the very highly touted kids who are high 4 star maybe 5 who are expected to factor in right away but it ends up taking 2 years for the light bulb to come on. That's why you just keep stacking and let the wars on Greentree sort it out. **** I love this game!
1598268627152.gif

Advertisement
This year's covid rule on eligibility applies to all classes, right? So all the FR can play every game on ST and still keep a RS or Covid Shirt?

Advertisement
Back