Diamond in the Rough emerging...

Im sure this was discussed in the scrimmage chat, but figured i'd put it in its own thread... is Brian Balom Turning into a legit dude on this team? the stat sheet was unreal yesterday.. idk if he was playing against the walk-ons or the 1st teamers but still..

according to 247 he had only one other p5 offer, and hes already coming to the U and showing out.. would love to hear some hot takes on the kid.. how would the depth chart look next year assuming one or 2 of the safetys declare & now with Balom in the fold ??
At this point we are loaded at safety , even with Avantae Williams hurt. Hopefully Avantae can get his injury situation right because I don’t want him to go down as another “what could have been” but on Brian balom I can see him having turning out to be another redwine

Advertisement
Im sure this was discussed in the scrimmage chat, but figured i'd put it in its own thread... is Brian Balom Turning into a legit dude on this team? the stat sheet was unreal yesterday.. idk if he was playing against the walk-ons or the 1st teamers but still..

according to 247 he had only one other p5 offer, and hes already coming to the U and showing out.. would love to hear some hot takes on the kid.. how would the depth chart look next year assuming one or 2 of the safetys declare & now with Balom in the fold ??
I would say the coaches think Ousman Traore OL is the Diamond in the ruff. Kid could start for us this year.

I’m goin to say X might be that diamond in the rough ..kids been balling so far and I honestly thought he would be at the back of the wr shelf ..that’s my bad for thinking that lol

I’m goin to say X might be that diamond in the rough ..kids been balling so far and I honestly thought he would be at the back of the wr shelf ..that’s my bad for thinking that lol
Anyone who doubted Restrepo did so based on non-football, non-character, and non-academic reasons. I'll leave the rest to you to figure out. This dude always had it in him to be great and to succeed here.

Advertisement
Anyone who doubted Restrepo did so based on non-football, non-character, and non-academic reasons. I'll leave the rest to you to figure out. This dude always had it in him to be great and to succeed here.
He's the dog who gets picked first at the park because you know he's going to make plays for you.

I’ve posted multiple times he blew the staff away at paradise to the point they walked up and offered.

He does everything well, he’s just not great at anything. There’s no weakness to his game.

I’ve posted multiple times he blew the staff away at paradise to the point they walked up and offered.

He does everything well, he’s just not great at anything. There’s no weakness to his game.
Maybe a weird comparison but how about Anthony Reddick?

@DMoney shoot didn't see you already said him.

Advertisement
Also guys aren’t diamonds in the rough just because some posters here didn’t like athletic traits or film. Corey Flagg was a victim of poor testing. Anybody that saw him in person knew what was really good. It’s the same with Balom.

Also guys aren’t diamonds in the rough just because some posters here didn’t like athletic traits or film. Corey Flagg was a victim of poor testing. Anybody that saw him in person knew what was really good. It’s the same with Balom.
Balom actually tested well. People have doubts about Flagg's speed, and rightfully so. Hopefully, it won't be an issue. But in today's spread heavy game, he's going to be put to the test as to whether he can move from point A to point B quickly enough. There's no doubt that he was a great HS player and a great kid and hard worker.

It's not a personal affront to question whether a LB can excel at this level running a 5 flat 40. I hope he shoves it up everyone's *** and has an incredible career.

Balom actually tested well. People have doubts about Flagg's speed, and rightfully so. Hopefully, it won't be an issue. But in today's spread heavy game, he's going to be put to the test as to whether he can move from point A to point B quickly enough. There's no doubt that he was a great HS player and a great kid and hard worker.

It's not a personal affront to question whether a LB can excel at this level running a 5 flat 40. I hope he shoves it up everyone's *** and has an incredible career.
For my money he will. And the next time he tests at the 40 I promise the narrative will switch. Football is football at the end of the day to me. He’ll get faster and he’ll be a better player than guys who can only test well.

Advertisement

The #1 requirement for playing safety is not ******** up.

The only person I liked less than Balom in the 2020 class was Flagg. I will HAPPILY eat the crow if he turns into a beast here.

Balom is James Lewis with more athletic ability. My dude @k9cane will love that.

ahh, old 23, as reliable as the sun coming up. J-Lew was one of the great 'glue' guys in UM history. So steady and never made any mental errors. And great teams, have to have a lot of these type of guys because not everyone is going to be Ed Reed or Sean Taylor

Advertisement
Just an aside, but what makes these guys "diamonds in the rough". The fact that they can come in and in their first camp make plays at this rate makes it seem more like mis-evaluations by the rating services. Hopefully, this is an indication that our evaluations are improving, we can use a lower bust rate.

IMO, a true diamond in the rough would be someone with solid traits but needs a couple of years of development to be effective.

Dont take my Reddick comp.lol

I was one of the only guys pretty high or liking him committing to us having coached against him. He is alot like Reddick, Adequate size, technical...lining up a defense that sort of thing.

Reddick didnt have a bad career here *****....so if he keeps the trajectory i see a 2 year starter for us.

Reddick was really good as a freshman, didn't he have a bad knee injury that really hampered him?

For my money he will. And the next time he tests at the 40 I promise the narrative will switch. Football is football at the end of the day to me. He’ll get faster and he’ll be a better player than guys who can only test well.
Is the 4.63 laser or hand?

For my money, it really doesn’t matter, that’s the type of kid (from the article I just read) who will run sub-4.50 at the combine.

Advertisement
Back