Dewan Huell not playing tonight

Advertisement
As Consigliere has pointed out, the other two still-active players are indeed playing right now for Miss State and Louisville, respectively. It's on UM why Dewan is not.

The NCAA is NOT declaring him ineligible; we are, at least for the time being. So, maybe Dewan could sue UM for messing with his future livelihood by denying him the chance to showcase his skills.

Don't be shocked if they're sitting on their anuses.

wow the ESPN announcers talking about the Dewan situation just said "allegedly he had a deal". Don't like the sound of that, or believe it either. Haven't heard or seen that wordage anywhere.

wow the ESPN announcers talking about the Dewan situation just said "allegedly he had a deal". Don't like the sound of that, or believe it either. Haven't heard or seen that wordage anywhere.
Yeah, I heard that too. The announcer also said something like "I don't know if Hernandez will be eligible this season or not." Of course, it's entirely possible they have it all wrong. Again, where's the **** Herald on this story!

Also, as with with Miles Wilson a few months ago, and the guys last year and the year before that, all last minute problems coming to light. Makes Coach look like he's not on top of things.

Advertisement
There was no evidence presented, but we also don't know what Hernandez told Compliance, or what the NCAA "advised". Remember, there's a difference between "What could be proven in a court of law" and what is known by the athletic department. Frankly, the flipping out about this is a joke, and proves that the Miami fanbase is a collection of conspiracy theory believing nut jobs. You really think Compliance is sitting around looking for a way to ***** the program that pays them? No, but they should be doing their job, especially knowing that Miami, due to our less than optimal relationship with the NCAA has less leeway than some where like Duke or Kentucky. At least APPEAR to be following the rules, especially if there's any doubt about something. If Miami plays Hernandez now, even if he didn't do anything, the NCAA would(and I'm willing to bet on it) try to disqualify him right before conference play. Force their hand now. Get him cleared, and keep it moving. It shouldn't be that incredibly difficult, but we know the NCAA takes forever to do anything.
You are right, I've searched high and low for any info that directly implicates Hernandez or that he had knowledge of the "proposed" scheme. I do understand that the U must protect itself so it's a rock and a hard place. Should he be cleared the U and perhaps Hernandez should be looking for some type of apology or better yet $$.

I found the condensed game version of the Barry scrimmage. I wanted to see Dewan hit a 3. I heard about it but I had to see if for myself.

Don’t worry everyone, Peters is still playing tonight for MSU.

King already played tonight for Louisville.

Dewan...who cares about him?

Advertisement

I found the condensed game version of the Barry scrimmage. I wanted to see Dewan hit a 3. I heard about it but I had to see if for myself.

Wow. Not sure if he's NBA caliber yet but he looks waaayyy better. He's finally getting a good feel for his body.

I want to point out something about the review of Dewan's eligibility that is asinine. If it has already been addressed, I must have missed it. According to Dawkins' "business plan":

"Dawkins planned to pay Miami's Huell (now Hernandez) $500 per month from September 2017 through January 2018, then $1,000 per month until April 2018."

Dawkins was among 10 men arrested by federal authorities on Sept. 26, 2017.

If we take this business plan as true (even though what I've read said there is no evidence any player knew about Dawkins' business plan), it seems we are talking about a potential $500 payment. Surely Dawkins wasn't paying anybody after he was arrested. Or are we to assume the NCAA is looking into payments Dawkins may have made to Dewan prior to September, 2017? If this idiot incriminated himself in explicit detail about payments he was merely planning to make, it makes no sense at all that he would have left out the part about payments he actually did make.

Last edited:
One issue I am very curious about. (Anyone know?) -> I didn't see lots of details (if any) about payment plans for the other 18 guys mentioned in Dawkins emails. IF the other names are just mentioned "in general" but (only) Dewan's name is associated with these facts and figures, one could see why NCAA might be "more interested in investigating" Dewan than the other fellows... and why THOSE OTHER GUYS are still playing.

It is difficult to imagine that someone in Dewan's "circle" - if not himself - didn't at least have some sort of discussions or understandings with Dawkins, for the business plan to be so detailed. And this was the leaked email; there may be others? Of course, it may all well be innocent and unknowing from the player's side... but if the NCAA and Compliance ain't taking that at face value without some lengthy investigatory effort, hard to blame them, maybe.

Advertisement
One issue I am very curious about. (Anyone know?) -> I didn't see lots of details (if any) about payment plans for the other 18 guys mentioned in Dawkins emails. IF the other names are just mentioned "in general" but (only) Dewan's name is associated with these facts and figures, one could see why NCAA might be "more interested in investigating" Dewan than the other fellows... and why THOSE OTHER GUYS are still playing.

It is difficult to imagine that someone in Dewan's "circle" - if not himself - didn't at least have some sort of discussions or understandings with Dawkins, for the business plan to be so detailed. And this was the leaked email; there may be others? Of course, it may all well be innocent and unknowing from the player's side... but if the NCAA and Compliance ain't taking that at face value without some lengthy investigatory effort, hard to blame them, maybe.

There were specific payment plans outlined for many players.

There is also the issue of Dawkin's pleas. Justice and FBI may have been OK with him spilling just enough beans to hang himself, without getting into other arenas of what each player and "circle of associates or family" knew, and agreed to in principle if not in precise arrangements, or what they didn't report. Those reporting mandates aren't criminal violations, but might be NCAA violations under their vague "interested parties influence" rules...

FBI / Justice agreed to give NCAA a bunch of amassed evidentiary materials, of which that damning email was a part of, but didn't necessarily have any obligation or interest in helping NCAA do it's ethics job beyond that.

Advertisement
In that we have to deal with the unfortunate reality, I'm sure Coach L is sitting down with our remaining "bigs" (such as they are) and telling them to put their Superman capes on. We need a lot more toughness/inside presence from them to even have a prayer in ACC competition. Izundu supposedly weighs 235 pounds and Waardenburg, 217.

Tough task to get Izundu to throw some of that weight around and not foul out in the first half. Sam needs to understand, if he thinks he's a "stretch four," to forget the "stretch" part. He needs to play as much like a PF as he can (we've got plenty of outside jump shooters). Take Miller's red shirt away and hope to get a couple minutes in each half from him (a few more if, by some miracle, the light comes on for him with some PT).

Some questions:

1. Does anyone think our school handled Dewan’s hold out properly?

2. Assuming Dewan doesn’t do something about it first, does anyone think he is going to play a game before ACC play begins?

3. Does anyone think that Louisville, by backing and playing King, has less than us to risk?

4. Does anyone expect the NCAA to issue a ruling in the near future? Remember, there are more trials to begin next year.

There is literally no risk to playing Huellnandez. Worst case scenario we have to meaninglessly vacate meaningless wins from a tourney appearance.

Advertisement
Back