Dewan Huell not playing tonight

Advertisement
When and how did this list of 19 names surface? Did it come to light after we got that clean bill of health?
When the court case was essentially "done", just recently, the government turned over some previously withheld information to the NCAA, as promised, to "do what you need to do now". IN this material was the email with Dewan's name.

NO doubt, at some point (NCAA directly to Anderson or the leaked docs on Outside-the-lines) the Compliance office got wind of it, and that Dewan was being "looked at" or investigated. They then did what they probably needed to, IMHO.

Following to above, it's no government crime to be contacted by a corrupt agent and says hey do this and we will give you $$$, and you say no thanks and never tell anyone. But apparently it is (or may be) an NCAA violation not to report it, especially if you were apprised of compliance policy.

So, maybe UM was cleared of violations or crimes, and Dewan cleared of crimes, but as to whether or not he violated some compliance rules, I doubt we can say he was "cleared" by the trial findings.

(Edit: and I completely left out that Dewan theoretically ( I know nothing and expect only clean bill of health) might have agreed to something or another problematic action... which of course is what the NCAA investigation will attempt to determine, and I doubt if it will be fast, unfortunately.)

Last edited:
So ... even if Dewan forcefully supports the story that came out that he knew nothing about any of the agent's sleazy plans, it's not enough. The University is gonna wait for the "all clear" from the NCAA. Any sense of fairness would have the NCAA ruling on this ASAP!

Advertisement
So ... even if Dewan forcefully supports the story that came out that he knew nothing about any of the agent's sleazy plans, it's not enough. The University is gonna wait for the "all clear" from the NCAA. Any sense of fairness would have the NCAA ruling on this ASAP!
"ASAP" is an interesting concept. With no subpoena power, 19 athletes named in this matter and who knows what other matters are under investigation, they may actually be moving as fast as possible with the staff and resources they have. But I tend to agree they take their **** time, most likely.

I fully endorse those who call on the athletes involved to "get a good lawyer". In general criminal court proceedings habeas corpus whatever, once there are accusations/charges, there is a "right" to a speedy trial. NCAA athletes probably signed away their rights to "fairness" and speed.

But who is gonna pay the fees of a good lawyer. Alumni and donors would be forbidden, and while someone like Dewan may one day be a rich NBA star, that doesn't mean he can afford expensive representation right now. Very unfair but NCAA-standard-quo.

One might hope the "U" steps up with good legal representation and demands for speedy fairness. I'm not holding my breath.

I fully endorse those who call on the athletes involved to "get a good lawyer". In general criminal court proceedings habeas corpus whatever, once there are accusations/charges, there is a "right" to a speedy trial. NCAA athletes probably signed away their rights to "fairness" and speed.

But who is gonna pay the fees of a good lawyer. Alumni and donors would be forbidden, and while someone like Dewan may one day be a rich NBA star, that doesn't mean he can afford expensive representation right now. Very unfair but NCAA-standard-quo.

One might hope the "U" steps up with good legal representation and demands for speedy fairness. I'm not holding my breath.

You're over thinking this.

[Please note the following is NOT specific to Dewan, just in general] All these games that a player misses doesn't help their draft status. Each game is an opportunity, each game is a tryout. You also never know what scouts are watching which games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't think the athletic dept deserves the benefit of the doubt that they are handling the situation properly.

Any sense of fairness would be the school backing Dewan like the other schools are backing their athletes.

Any sense of fairness would be the school backing Dewan like the other schools are backing their athletes.
That, too! Unless they have their doubts about what the NCAA may have, or uncover. A big question is why are Miss State and Louisville playing their guys, and UM is not. Of all places, you'd think Louisville would be the school that is ultra cautious.

Advertisement
That, too! Unless they have their doubts about what the NCAA may have, or uncover. A big question is why are Miss State and Louisville playing their guys, and UM is not. Of all places, you'd think Louisville would be the school that is ultra cautious.

Or maybe because there was no evidence?

I ask the question again, if these allegations are true, what Bylaw was broken?

Advertisement
Yeah,, I also would love to see Barry Jackson or someone dig deep and report what the heck is going on and it's consequences.

I agree that the by-laws seem to have Dewan pretty much in the clear, once UM has been excused from wrongdoing by DOJ and the trial findings. I guess the problem is "being offered" and future compensation by someone representing the college's "interests". I think the email was the guys main interest and maybe the sneaker company, but that "rather imprecise" point must be the crux of this matter right now? see:
Captureab.PNG

As Consigliere has pointed out, the other two still-active players are indeed playing right now for Miss State and Louisville, respectively. It's on UM why Dewan is not.

The NCAA is NOT declaring him ineligible; we are, at least for the time being. So, maybe Dewan could sue UM for messing with his future livelihood by denying him the chance to showcase his skills.

Advertisement
Back