Dewan Huell not playing tonight

There is literally no risk to playing Huellnandez. Worst case scenario we have to meaninglessly vacate meaningless wins from a tourney appearance.
The spineless admin don't wanna "risk" what they think is Miami's new "clean proper ethical" reputation, haha, as if anyone else actually quit hating us for that messy and mostly unfair label.

Advertisement
There is literally no risk to playing Huellnandez. Worst case scenario we have to meaninglessly vacate meaningless wins from a tourney appearance.

I would find it difficult to believe, given the whole thing with the DOJ, that we have anything to risk playing Huell.

It is hard to point the finger when an actual organization with subpoena power and the criminal courts says we're fine after finding NO evidence.

Some questions:

1. Does anyone think our school handled Dewan’s hold out properly?

No, unless he fessed up to taking money and the issue is how many games he needs to be suspended for.

2. Assuming Dewan doesn’t do something about it first, does anyone think he is going to play a game before ACC play begins?

I hate to say it, but I don't think he plays this season at all unless he takes legal action.

3. Does anyone think that Louisville, by backing and playing King, has less than us to risk?

No.

4. Does anyone expect the NCAA to issue a ruling in the near future? Remember, there are more trials to begin next year.

No. The NCAA won't do anything.

If he's not reinstated by the time the calendar hits 2019, I think he'll leave school and go to Europe to show off his game and prep for the draft. He can't afford to waste this year.

Advertisement
From an ESPN article tonight:

"ESPN's Mark Schlabach reported Wednesday that Hernandez was one of 19 players listed in an email by Christian Dawkins, who worked as a runner for NBA agent Andy Miller but was looking to start his own agency.

According to Schlabach, the emailed business plan shows Dawkins planned to pay Hernandez $500 per month from September 2017 through January 2018, then $1000 per month until April 2018. If Hernandez had left Miami after last season, he wouldn't have had to pay the money back, according to the email. The payments would be converted into a loan if Hernandez returned to Miami for his junior season.

There was no evidence the payments were made or that Hernandez had knowledge of the plan."
I don't care if Dewan agrees to those payments. If he didn't take any money, then restore his eligibility ASAP!!!

If he's not reinstated by the time the calendar hits 2019, I think he'll leave school and go to Europe to show off his game and prep for the draft. He can't afford to waste this year.
I don't think a player like Dewan justs walks into a starting job in a good Euro league. Doubt he'd get the chance to market his skills in what remains of this season.

Advertisement
I don't think a player like Dewan justs walks into a starting job in a good Euro league. Doubt he'd get the chance to market his skills in what remains of this season.

He would stand a better chance of marketing his skills in a reserve role in a Euro league than he would sitting in street clothes in college.

He would stand a better chance of marketing his skills in a reserve role in a Euro league than he would sitting in street clothes in college.
Maybe marginally. Can he just make himself available to the G League (or whatever it's called)?

Are we cursed? Losing football players to life threatening injuries, Hernandez, now Thomas...ugh!

Advertisement
Did the announcers correct themselves about Dewan being ineligible during this game? I missed the comment.

There is also the issue of Dawkin's pleas. Justice and FBI may have been OK with him spilling just enough beans to hang himself, without getting into other arenas of what each player and "circle of associates or family" knew, and agreed to in principle if not in precise arrangements, or what they didn't report. Those reporting mandates aren't criminal violations, but might be NCAA violations under their vague "interested parties influence" rules...

FBI / Justice agreed to give NCAA a bunch of amassed evidentiary materials, of which that damning email was a part of, but didn't necessarily have any obligation or interest in helping NCAA do it's ethics job beyond that.
If we are worried about what might be NCAA violations in the "new" material the DoJ turned over to the NCAA, maybe we should be sitting Coach L as well. I mean, his name might be included in some derogatory way in this new evidence. Makes about as much sense. If they thought Hernandez was guilty of some infraction, UM would have already taken more drastic action , no?

Advertisement
If we are worried about what might be NCAA violations in the "new" material the DoJ turned over to the NCAA, maybe we should be sitting Coach L as well. I mean, his name might be included in some derogatory way in this new evidence. Makes about as much sense. If they thought Hernandez was guilty of some infraction, UM would have already taken more drastic action , no?

Why would the DOJ turn over “material” to the NCAA?

Advertisement
Back