Dewan Huell not playing tonight

canesstevealum08

"Wyatt, I am rolling!"
Premium
University of Miami statement on Dewan Hernandez:

“University of Miami junior Dewan Hernandez will be withheld from competition as the University and the NCAA review his eligibility.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
From an ESPN article tonight:

"ESPN's Mark Schlabach reported Wednesday that Hernandez was one of 19 players listed in an email by Christian Dawkins, who worked as a runner for NBA agent Andy Miller but was looking to start his own agency.

According to Schlabach, the emailed business plan shows Dawkins planned to pay Hernandez $500 per month from September 2017 through January 2018, then $1000 per month until April 2018. If Hernandez had left Miami after last season, he wouldn't have had to pay the money back, according to the email. The payments would be converted into a loan if Hernandez returned to Miami for his junior season.

There was no evidence the payments were made or that Hernandez had knowledge of the plan."

So is this gonna drag out for like 5 weeks and he misses a bunch of games?

Advertisement
"There was no evidence the payments were made or that Hernandez had knowledge of the plan."

Yet he loses eligibility anyway. Seems legit. I'm about to send an email out that I'm planning on paying $500 per month to every player on every other ACC team. We'll skate to an ACCT.

"There was no evidence the payments were made or that Hernandez had knowledge of the plan."

Yet he loses eligibility anyway. Seems legit. I'm about to send an email out that I'm planning on paying $500 per month to every player on every other ACC team. We'll skate to an ACCT.
Start with half of duke and unc team

Another reason why our athletic department is a joke.

Advertisement
Another reason why our athletic department is a joke.

They're a joke because they are being cautious? In a lot of cases, guys get held out, even though it's iffy at best. It's better to err on the side of caution, especially when you know that you don't have an in at the NCAA. There are tons, and I mean tons of case studies of guys being held out, even though the reasoning behind them being held out was sketchy. Might as well have your ducks in a row, especially early in the season. Let him sit now, put pressure on the NCAA to clear him, get it out of the way BEFORE ACC play. Miami is more than good enough to skate through what is a pretty lousy OOC slate, even if Dewan misses significant time, which is doubtful at this point.

They're a joke because they are being cautious? In a lot of cases, guys get held out, even though it's iffy at best.

I am going to start with the pertinent and go to the less pertinent.

1. Numerous players were named including Zion Williamson. He gets to play and their school backs him.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article220131085.html

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article220170485.html

2. Then there are these players named (something different)..."Dawkins also listed 19 "prospective players" who were either in college or high school. Among them were Alabama's Collin Sexton, Mississippi State's Lamar Peters, Oregon's Troy Brown Jr., Arizona's Rawle Alkins, Cincinnati's Jacob Evans, Louisville's Ray Spalding and V.J. King, Miami's Dewan Huell (now Hernandez), LSU's Brandon Sampson, USC's De'Anthony Melton, Xavier's Trevon Bluiett and Kentucky's Jarred Vanderbilt."

The bolded players are still in college and already played this year. Our player is the ONLY one that was held out.

As for the names above...it is comical the difference in payments (this is just the active college players)

Lamar Peters:

Dawkins proposed paying Lamar Peters, now a junior guard at Mississippi State, monthly payments of $2,500 from September 2017 until April 2018, and also noted that "if he stays in school a 2nd year we will have to continue to pay.

VJ King:

Dawkins proposed paying Louisville forward Spalding $2,000 per month from October 2017 to December 2017, then $3,000 per month until April 2018. He also planned to pay King $2,000 per month from October 2017 until April 2018, although he noted it "will be a messy situation in my opinion.

Dewan Hernandez
:

Dawkins planned to pay Miami's Huell (now Hernandez) $500 per month from September 2017 through January 2018, then $1,000 per month until April 2018. If Hernandez left Miami after the 2017-18 season, he wouldn't have to pay the money back, according to the email. But if Hernandez elected to return to the Hurricanes for an additional season, the payments would be converted to a loan, according to the plan

The hilarious part of the above is that these were PLANS to pay athletes. What is stopping me from calling the NCAA and telling them I plan to pay the best 3 players on every opponent we play this season?

3. We (as a school) were already cleared by an organization with actual subpoena power and in the criminal courts. We received a clean bill of health. This doesn't happen as this organization is NOT required to do such a thing. Now you have the NCAA with NO actual subpoena power and no court system. What are they going to do? How are they going to act without said power?

4. Our school doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. The decision makers are bunch of reactive dolts.

It's a retarded situation, but the reality is that we don't need him for a month anyway. His absence will give Izundu a chance to practice staying out of foul trouble. Give Manute Gak more minutes.

Advertisement
Back