Dewan Huell not playing tonight

UM must know something about Hernandez's situation that no one else does or, as said above, they are playing this very illogically and foolishly.

So essentially Miami would know something that there was no evidence of in court. The DOJ had NO evidence of any of these payments or whether Huell knew about it. But...Miami, who was 100% cleared of any wrongdoing, knows about this "plan" to pay Huell?

Welcome to UM Athletics. Our decision makers don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Advertisement
On another note, Lamar Peters played again for Miss State tonight.

Miss State must back him more than we back Dewan.

These things have never worked in Miami’s favor. Just going off the 2016 thing with Muhammad and Grace 2 weeks before the season started they got dismissed. Think Miami should be alright for the first few games without him but they def need him this year if they want to make a run.

Luckily we have a reasonably tame holiday tourney on Nov 27 (remember last year's loss to New Mexico State?). No ranked teams expected in the draw, but would be good to have Dewan back by then for sure.

There was no evidence presented, but we also don't know what Hernandez told Compliance, or what the NCAA "advised". Remember, there's a difference between "What could be proven in a court of law" and what is known by the athletic department. Frankly, the flipping out about this is a joke, and proves that the Miami fanbase is a collection of conspiracy theory believing nut jobs. You really think Compliance is sitting around looking for a way to ***** the program that pays them? No, but they should be doing their job, especially knowing that Miami, due to our less than optimal relationship with the NCAA has less leeway than some where like Duke or Kentucky. At least APPEAR to be following the rules, especially if there's any doubt about something. If Miami plays Hernandez now, even if he didn't do anything, the NCAA would(and I'm willing to bet on it) try to disqualify him right before conference play. Force their hand now. Get him cleared, and keep it moving. It shouldn't be that incredibly difficult, but we know the NCAA takes forever to do anything.

No they should not be doing their job. They are getting paid to look the other way. Coach Cal or K would have compliances' head if they tried suspending one of their stars.

Advertisement
Dequan Jones apparently was only reinstated after threatening the school with a lawsuit. If I'm Menendez I'm lawyering up. This is essentially his contract year and this "suspension" could drag on for months.

Consigliere, as you say, there is NOTHING in any reported court proceedings that would cause UM to take this approach. Therefore, it almost has to be an internal matter, i.e., something that Hernandez shared with the school/compliance. Or ... they are just total idiots, running scared of their shadow.

Advertisement
Consigliere, as you say, there is NOTHING in any reported court proceedings that would cause UM to take this approach. Therefore, it almost has to be an internal matter, i.e., something that Hernandez shared with the school/compliance. Or ... they are just total idiots, running scared of their shadow.

Evidence would support the bolded. Overwhelming evidence.

So our school knows about evidence/info and we decided not to share it with the DOJ? Seems like a bold strategy Cotton.

Advertisement
Pure speculation to elicit some intelligent thought: What would (or should) UM do if Dewan actually did get wind of that "offered deal" but chose to decline or ignore it, and not report it? Then he gets cold feet and finally/recently tells Compliance (or someone else rats on him). Could they really ignore it, considering UM's past or just standard ethics? Sure, as OriginalGatorHater suggests, maybe Duke would ignore and we would be better off possibly, but c'mon. It's all very unfortunate but perhaps not an unreasonable development?

Pure speculation to elicit some intelligent thought: What would (or should) UM do if Dewan actually did get wind of that "offered deal" but chose to decline or ignore it, and not report it? Then he gets cold feet and finally/recently tells Compliance (or someone else rats on him). Could they really ignore it, considering UM's past or just standard ethics? Sure, as OriginalGatorHater suggests, maybe Duke would ignore and we would be better off possibly, but c'mon. It's all very unfortunate but perhaps not an unreasonable development?

Do you understand why these allegations, just this one time, are different from any other potential NCAA infractions?

Advertisement
Do you understand why these allegations, just this one time, are different from any other potential NCAA infractions?
Maybe I don't. I'm thinking if UM just sat on something, risking it will come out later "what they knew and when" it's the sort of thing that scares them to beejeezbus. Happy to learn what I'm missing here.

Unfortunately, where there's smoke, there's usually some fire. These days, I think UM is running scared. Even innocent, we almost got burned. Knowing we may need every OOC win we can get, perhaps the thinking is "Let's put this in the NCAA's hands and not jeopardize even one win."

Maybe I don't. I'm thinking if UM just sat on something, risking it will come out later "what they knew and when" it's the sort of thing that scares them to beejeezbus. Happy to learn what I'm missing here.

We (as a school) were already cleared by an organization with actual subpoena power and in the criminal courts. We received a clean bill of health. This doesn't happen as this organization is NOT required to do such a thing. Now you have the NCAA with NO actual subpoena power and no court system. What are they going to do? How are they going to act without said power?

Unfortunately, where there's smoke, there's usually some fire. These days, I think UM is running scared. Even innocent, we almost got burned. Knowing we may need every OOC win we can get, perhaps the thinking is "Let's put this in the NCAA's hands and not jeopardize even one win."

If the allegation were true, what bylaw was broken?

Advertisement
Back