Dewan Huell not playing tonight

Two words

Craig Anderson-head of compliance

He is like that bad umpire or ref who constantly wants people to know he has some sort of important job, by making asinine calls etc....

He was behind the charge to get grace and AQM booted. They said he kept showing up at car dealership demanding information.

Can you imagine Alabama compliance man doing that to 2 of Sabans best defensive players? That loser would be fired so quick.

Advertisement
It's a retarded situation, but the reality is that we don't need him for a month anyway. His absence will give Izundu a chance to practice staying out of foul trouble. Give Manute Gak more minutes.

We need practice with Dewan. I agree that we play no one for a month. I just think this is an insanely reactive way to act.

Will it really take a month to clear him? And, weak OOC schedule or not, I'll bet we lose a game we shouldn't have - if it is a month - due to his absence.

It's a retarded situation, but the reality is that we don't need him for a month anyway. His absence will give Izundu a chance to practice staying out of foul trouble. Give Manute Gak more minutes.

Yeah, hope your right. Whenever I hear the NCAA the reviewing his eligibility, I always feel secure that nobody is going to be in a hurry to get the job done.

Always funny to me how witnesses and stories of alleged PLANS to pay athletes are treated as guilty until proven innocent ONLY in Coral Gables. There are stories and witnesses of pay outs littered through the $EC West, Clem$on, etc. over the decades and that rarely gets a first look from the NCAA.

UM

"There was no evidence the payments were made or that Hernandez had knowledge of the plan."

Yet he loses eligibility anyway. Seems legit. I'm about to send an email out that I'm planning on paying $500 per month to every player on every other ACC team. We'll skate to an ACCT.
And what's the downside to playing him? If he becomes ineligible we have to give up our wins? Not like we're winning the championship this year. And we're not gonna win **** without him.

Advertisement
Yeah, hope your right. Whenever I hear the NCAA the reviewing his eligibility, I always feel secure that nobody is going to be in a hurry to get the job done.

Always funny to me how witnesses and stories of alleged PLANS to pay athletes are treated as guilty until proven innocent ONLY in Coral Gables. There are stories and witnesses of pay outs littered through the $EC West, Clem$on, etc. over the decades and that rarely gets a first look from the NCAA.

UM

Exactly. It was a plan. A plan. Not actually receiving benefits but a plan.

Advertisement
Just so we’re all clear there was NO evidence presented at trial that payments were made or whether Dewan knew of this plan.

OK, I was too duhhhhhhmb to realize mistaking Dewan's last name was intentional and being done for some purpose. Not sure I approve, it's certainly a poster's right to sarcasm or whatever, but I am sorry for assuming the duhhhhmbness was not me.

Advertisement
Just so we’re all clear there was NO evidence presented at trial that payments were made or whether Dewan knew of this plan.

There was no evidence presented, but we also don't know what Hernandez told Compliance, or what the NCAA "advised". Remember, there's a difference between "What could be proven in a court of law" and what is known by the athletic department. Frankly, the flipping out about this is a joke, and proves that the Miami fanbase is a collection of conspiracy theory believing nut jobs. You really think Compliance is sitting around looking for a way to ***** the program that pays them? No, but they should be doing their job, especially knowing that Miami, due to our less than optimal relationship with the NCAA has less leeway than some where like Duke or Kentucky. At least APPEAR to be following the rules, especially if there's any doubt about something. If Miami plays Hernandez now, even if he didn't do anything, the NCAA would(and I'm willing to bet on it) try to disqualify him right before conference play. Force their hand now. Get him cleared, and keep it moving. It shouldn't be that incredibly difficult, but we know the NCAA takes forever to do anything.

From all reports I've read, Huell/Hernandez knew nothing of the shady agent's plans for him. So ... if UM believes that to be the case, why isn't Dewan playing now?

The appearance is that UM may believe there is another shoe to drop, or Dewan did -- at a minimum - know of the offer and not report it. Not a good look for the program. Hope the NCAA acts quickly but ... that's usually NOT their way.

There was no evidence presented, but we also don't know what Hernandez told Compliance, or what the NCAA "advised". Remember, there's a difference between "What could be proven in a court of law" and what is known by the athletic department. Frankly, the flipping out about this is a joke, and proves that the Miami fanbase is a collection of conspiracy theory believing nut jobs. You really think Compliance is sitting around looking for a way to ***** the program that pays them? No, but they should be doing their job, especially knowing that Miami, due to our less than optimal relationship with the NCAA has less leeway than some where like Duke or Kentucky. At least APPEAR to be following the rules, especially if there's any doubt about something. If Miami plays Hernandez now, even if he didn't do anything, the NCAA would(and I'm willing to bet on it) try to disqualify him right before conference play. Force their hand now. Get him cleared, and keep it moving. It shouldn't be that incredibly difficult, but we know the NCAA takes forever to do anything.

And how much evidence was presented in trial about this plan?

We can talk about different standards of proof all you want but no evidence is no evidence.

Advertisement
From all reports I've read, Huell/Hernandez knew nothing of the shady agent's plans for him. So ... if UM believes that to be the case, why isn't Dewan playing now?

The appearance is that UM may believe there is another shoe to drop, or Dewan did -- at a minimum - know of the offer and not report it. Not a good look for the program. Hope the NCAA acts quickly but ... that's usually NOT their way.

Or our school is super reactive and illogical.

And how much evidence was presented in trial about this plan?

We can talk about different standards of proof all you want but no evidence is no evidence.

Once again, no evidence that WE know of. I wasn't sitting in that room when Hernandez was called in by compliance. We also don't know what the NCAA "Advised" or even if Miami reached out for an advisory opinion before asking for an eligibility review. Either way, it's a gigantic nothing burger, especially when you look at our non-conference schedule. He could be back Tuesday for all we know, he could be back in a month. Either way, as long as he's back before the end of OOC play, and is ready for conference play, I don't give a crap.

Once again, no evidence that WE know of. I wasn't sitting in that room when Hernandez was called in by compliance. We also don't know what the NCAA "Advised" or even if Miami reached out for an advisory opinion before asking for an eligibility review. Either way, it's a gigantic nothing burger, especially when you look at our non-conference schedule. He could be back Tuesday for all we know, he could be back in a month. Either way, as long as he's back before the end of OOC play, and is ready for conference play, I don't give a crap.

Okay, please go read the trial record. There was none. No evidence. So assuming there was none, what standard of proof was met? Guilty until innocent?

Compliance? We’re talking about the DOJ. We’re talking about the criminal court.

Also, how come the other players at other schools are playing?

UM must know something about Hernandez's situation that no one else does or, as said above, they are playing this very illogically and foolishly.

Advertisement
Back