Cristobal AD search news

Yeah and how would the Scott Frost thing have gone for Florida if they did hire him? How is it going for Nebraska? You laugh all you like but you just used a prime example of why you don't go all in on one guy

And now Mario is being compared to Nick Saban or even Jim Harbaugh who built two college programs from the ground up then did the same thing in the NFL. The weird posters are the people elevating Mario Cristobal to some sort of elite coach because he's in rock fights every week in the worst conference in the power 5. And no one said he needed to come in for an interview. He should be one of several candidates that get evaluated equally and without bias.
Saban didn't build **** in the NFL.

Advertisement
He’s also worried about the all Miami/allColumbus eggs in one basket per say.
Was interesting. Mike Ryan's story about Blake ****ing off one of the Mas brothers and some Golden Canes over Tally accommodations last weekend sounded pretty accurate.

I actually agreed with Ol' Lebatard in that there is more danger in blindly ceding AD hiring power/power in general to the whims of the Columbus Crew than even just blindly offering the job to Luigi with zero search.

Not that "Rolla with Jim Frevola!" is necessarily the answer. 🤣

LeBatard mentioned Jim Frevola, currently with the Vegas Golden Knights (NHL) as Team SVP & Sales Officer as a potential AD candidate.

Used to be with the Tampa Bay Bucs. Also was at UFC with Dana White as their VP of Marketing Partnerships.

Also was at Lincoln Financial Media responsible for media sales at radio stations for the Miami Heat, Cleveland Browns, Dolphins & Marlins.

He graduated from the University of Miami and worked at UM as an associate AD from 2007-2010.
This is a joke right?

Advertisement
When any big program starts having interviews that means their first guy fell though. Likely the second guy too. You have a very naive view of how this actually works dude.

Three years ago if Scott Frost wanted the Gator job do you think he interviews for it? Lol. He’d been hired on the spot. What about Nebraska? Do you think he interviewed there?

Did Jim Harbaugh interview at Michigan? lol.

If I’m trying to steal a top 15-20 Ceo in the country from an equal competitor i don't call and say ” hey , You want to come interview”? No, you sell him on your company and the long term plan. Believe it or not Mario is at the level now, we have to sell out program and the long term plan to take him from a good job.
We have coaches from other teams reaching out to our unproven freshman, but programs wait to reach out for coaches? Rightttt

Hard to listen with so many inaccurate statements thrown out on that podcast.

$15 million buyout for Mario? No
Only accurate thing they said about Pete Garcia was that he worked at UM
Believing Butch Davis

There’s no honor between thieves. The only honor in cfb is trans in the sec agreeing to quit snitching on each other.
May not have made myself clear, but agreeing with you that there is no chance these universities don't know where they stand with options A, B, C, etc (for ex., Miami for sure knows right now where Mario stands).

Advertisement
Let me guess without reading. Mario needs a promise that the school is financially committed to the program. He needs an AD he can work with. He needs the school to pay Oregon his buyout. Did I miss anything?
Exactly.

And we need the Ducks to not make the playoff.

We like to always point out that Mario drops a game he shouldn't every year. But when you look at the landscape of CFB, take Saban out of the equation, look at your next tier:

Jimbo: Seems to be stalling at around 8/9 wins at A&M
Dabo: Took a MASSIVE step back in terms of being an elite coach. He's sitting on by far the most talent in arguably the worst conference (hi Pac 12). Yet he'll finish midway through in his division. If I'm a recruit, I want to see what you do when you don't have a bonafide 1st round QB, and Dabo laid an egg with no stud QB walking through his doors yet.
Kirby: May actually win a title with UGA, but still hasn't won there yet and he's been gifted recruits at a high clip every cycle.
Day: Meyer's recruits are starting to file out and it's his team, he lost to Oregon at home and they don't look like they'd beat Bama or UGA this year.

After that, I think Mario enters into the next tier.
It’s actually even worse than what you described for ol’ Dabo. He’s supposed to have a first round QB right now. Dr Pepper even gave the dude an endorsement NIL deal. Not a good look.

May not have made myself clear, but agreeing with you that there is no chance these universities don't know where they stand with options A, B, C, etc (for ex., Miami for sure knows right now where Mario stands).
I disagree. I think that a new AD with no ties to Miami wouldn't have any guys directly in mind. The new AD would also know that the last AD got booted for quickly picking the wrong coach. I'd expect any AD not from UM to due an open minded search. Even if he likes some guys he'd be stupid to not be certain.

I disagree. I think that a new AD with no ties to Miami wouldn't have any guys directly in mind. The new AD would also know that the last AD got booted for quickly picking the wrong coach. I'd expect any AD not from UM to due an open minded search. Even if he likes some guys he'd be stupid to not be certain.
I think Miami also has the AD locked up, or at least has had contact with their top 2 or 3 choices. Maybe not directly, but through their agents.

Tampering is basically unregulated these days. Naive to think otherwise.

Advertisement
When any big program starts having interviews that means their first guy fell though. Likely the second guy too. You have a very naive view of how this actually works dude.

Three years ago if Scott Frost wanted the Gator job do you think he interviews for it? Lol. He’d been hired on the spot. What about Nebraska? Do you think he interviewed there?

Did Jim Harbaugh interview at Michigan? lol.

If I’m trying to steal a top 15-20 Ceo in the country from an equal competitor i don't call and say ” hey , You want to come interview”? No, you sell him on your company and the long term plan. Believe it or not Mario is at the level now, we have to sell out program and the long term plan to take him from a good job.
Don’t know how many times I’ve had to say on here that interviewing a coach doesn’t exist. If we’re interviewing then we’re trying to pick from Jamey Chadwell, Bill Clark, and that pool to see who is a better fit.

I don’t even think Napier is low down enough to warrant an “interview”. Ain’t nobody getting asked questions about their past and their philosophies… ADs know that or they should know that already.

Its sitting down and showing them the money, YOUR plan (budget, staff makeup, etc) and seeing if you’re on the same page.

Yeah and how would the Scott Frost thing have gone for Florida if they did hire him? How is it going for Nebraska? You laugh all you like but you just used a prime example of why you don't go all in on one guy

And now Mario is being compared to Nick Saban or even Jim Harbaugh who built two college programs from the ground up then did the same thing in the NFL. The weird posters are the people elevating Mario Cristobal to some sort of elite coach because he's in rock fights every week in the worst conference in the power 5. And no one said he needed to come in for an interview. He should be one of several candidates that get evaluated equally and without bias.
What is Frost going to say in an interview that would lead you to believe this would have happened? You really think Ohio St interviewed Meyer? I’m sure he met the people he would be working with but it wasn’t an interview to see how he fits lmao.

Advertisement
I think Miami also has the AD locked up, or at least has had contact with their top 2 or 3 choices. Maybe not directly, but through their agents.

Tampering is basically unregulated these days. Naive to think otherwise.
If its Highsmith, then Mario is probably the guy.

If its somebody else, they may still get Mario but they'll do it based on their own research not because he played here before or the fans like him.

Love all the narrative, twists and passion.

Here’s the deal, it’s not about what Oregon or Miami wants. It’s what MC wants and needs. That’s the deal here. You have a more than capable HC that can succeed pretty much anywhere. This is about what drives and what needs MC has for himself and family. Who figures that out wins the prize….

Advertisement
Back