Cristobal AD search news

Advertisement
This Alonzo stuff isn’t what I like hearing. Has this school learned anything? So we are going to hire zo to oversee football then go out and hire an AD who is okay with that? Why can’t this program do its due diligence and get out of it’s own way? We are still running things like a country club. It’s a game of who with the most ties can get a job here. It’s honestly tiresome. Go out and actually do a national search. Stop making these decisions based on peers and connections. We just do things the totally wrong way.
I would definitely prefer 1 AD to oversee everything. One former cane I would bang the table for is Dan Morgan, he's about a year or 2 away from being a NFL GM

I think the point I and others are making is that having a plan A as in making Mario say no first is the problem. Evaluate all, create a list and go from there. And if it turns out Mario doesn't like that you're actually going through a reasonable process tell him to take care and enjoy his time in Eugene.
I having shocking news for everyone but the big programs have their guy they chase first. They have a coach in mind if he wants the job it’s over. Day was the choice at Osu, Meyer before that. Jimbo was the plan A at AM. Harbaugh at Michigan. This whole myth over interviewing guys is false, when you start having interviews your plan A’s likely said no. If Lincoln Riley wants the Lsu job he won’t interview lol.

Why, Fin? Anytime you hire a coach in any sport, you have a #1 target that you want to say yes and if they say no then you move on.

This is no different with Mario. He’s the #1 target. If he passes, you move on.

At the very least, Mario knows he was the #1 target, unlike in previous years.

You then move on to whoever is in the plans next.
Thats not how all coaching searches work. You have candidates you like. You interview them and see if they fit. Currently employed national title winners get the "you don't have to audition" treatment. No one else should.

I having shocking news for everyone but the big programs have their guy they chase first. They have a coach in mind if he wants the job it’s over. Day was the choice at Osu, Meyer before that. Jimbo was the plan A at AM. Harbaugh at Michigan. This whole myth over interviewing guys is false, when you start having interviews your plan A’s likely said no. If Lincoln Riley wants the Lsu job he won’t interview lol.
That ain't no ****. If you don't have your first choice in hand before you make the move you done. It is like a dumb *** that goes car shopping with a payment # in mind. News folks they can get any payment where you want it. Doesn't mean you got a good deal.

Advertisement
Mario isn't any of those guys so he shouldn't be treated like them. Day was in the in-house choice rubber stamped by Meyer. Lincoln Riley has been to multiple playoffs and is on what his potential 5th straight Big 12 title. Never lost more than 2 games in season. Jimbo and Meyer national title winners. Harbaugh winner at Stanford when the Pac 12 was good and took a team to the Super Bowl. We are not swimming in that pool and neither is Mario.

Last edited:
Not doing a complete search and putting all your eggs in to Mario is the exact scenario how we got Manny

There is a massive difference between hiring CMD the day after CMR retires and working behind the scenes for weeks on finding the next coach. I guarantee you that there has been contact with a number of AD and HC candidates already. Just because we don't know about it, doesn't mean things aren't in play. Especially with these big time boosters with big time egos involves. Put your knife down.

That ain't no ****. If you don't have your first choice in hand before you make the move you done. It is like a dumb *** that goes car shopping with a payment # in mind. News folks they can get any payment where you want it. Doesn't mean you got a good deal.
Bull****. NFL team fires a guy in week 5. You think they have their first choice in mind at that moment? When Clay Helton got fired was Dave Aranda choice number 1 at USC coming off a rough first year at Baylor like he appears to be now.

Advertisement
Bull****. NFL team fires a guy in week 5. You think they have their first choice in mind at that moment? When Clay Helton got fired was Dave Aranda choice number 1 at USC coming off a rough first year at Baylor like he appears to be now.
When any big program starts having interviews that means their first guy fell though. Likely the second guy too. You have a very naive view of how this actually works dude.

Three years ago if Scott Frost wanted the Gator job do you think he interviews for it? Lol. He’d been hired on the spot. What about Nebraska? Do you think he interviewed there?

Did Jim Harbaugh interview at Michigan? lol.

If I’m trying to steal a top 15-20 Ceo in the country from an equal competitor i don't call and say ” hey , You want to come interview”? No, you sell him on your company and the long term plan. Believe it or not Mario is at the level now, we have to sell out program and the long term plan to take him from a good job.

"um Hi Nick, this is Mal Moore I know you are coaching the Dolphins right now but would you be interested in setting up a call with our search committee for us to see if you would be a good fit for what we are looking for here at Alabama?"

got some real weird posters on this site who don't understand how the big boys do it

This Alonzo stuff isn’t what I like hearing. Has this school learned anything? So we are going to hire zo to oversee football then go out and hire an AD who is okay with that? Why can’t this program do its due diligence and get out of it’s own way? We are still running things like a country club. It’s a game of who with the most ties can get a job here. It’s honestly tiresome. Go out and actually do a national search. Stop making these decisions based on peers and connections. We just do things the totally wrong way.

Cut out the BS... get Jurich. ...and Pitino as a bonus.

Fire Manny and Laranaga!

Let Jurich hire the best football HC he can.

Game over. Go enjoy the holidays!

In the next four years, we will be in CFB playoffs and the Final Four !!

Last edited:
Advertisement
"um Hi Nick, this is Mal Moore I know you are coaching the Dolphins right now but would you be interested in setting up a call with our search committee for us to see if you would be a good fit for what we are looking for here at Alabama?"

got some real weird posters on this site who don't understand how the big boys do it
Lmao. I’m in shock this is even being discussed lol. We’re chasing Mario, he has a good thing going and about to get a raise while having a loaded roster. We could’ve had him a few years ago , for way cheaper and we went a different route. Now he‘s set his market value and demand. He’s in the power position , so you‘re tripping balls if you think he’d pick the phone up for an “ interview“ lol. This is how the game is played now. This isn’t a coach from the sunbelt.

When any big program starts having interviews that means their first guy fell though. Likely the second guy too. You have a very naive view of how this actually works dude.

Three years ago if Scott Frost wanted the Gator job do you think he interviews for it? Lol. He’d been hired on the spot. What about Nebraska? Do you think he interviewed there?

Did Jim Harbaugh interview at Michigan? lol.

If I’m trying to steal a top 15-20 Ceo in the country from an equal competitor i don't call and say ” hey , You want to come interview”? No, you sell him on your company and the long term plan. Believe it or not Mario is at the level now, we have to sell out program and the long term plan to take him from a good job.
Yeah and how would the Scott Frost thing have gone for Florida if they did hire him? How is it going for Nebraska? You laugh all you like but you just used a prime example of why you don't go all in on one guy

And now Mario is being compared to Nick Saban or even Jim Harbaugh who built two college programs from the ground up then did the same thing in the NFL. The weird posters are the people elevating Mario Cristobal to some sort of elite coach because he's in rock fights every week in the worst conference in the power 5. And no one said he needed to come in for an interview. He should be one of several candidates that get evaluated equally and without bias.

Yeah and how would the Scott Frost thing have gone for Florida if they did hire him? How is it going for Nebraska? You laugh all you like but you just used a prime example of why you don't go all in on one guy

And now Mario is being compared to Nick Saban or even Jim Harbaugh who built two college programs from the ground up then did the same thing in the NFL. The weird posters are the people elevating Mario Cristobal to some sort of elite coach because he's in rock fights every week in the worst conference in the power 5. And no one said he needed to come in for an interview. He should be one of several candidates that get evaluated equally and without bias.
That’s just the game now. You’re chasing your plan A’s, not the other way around. This isn’t a manager on the first shift at checkers.

Advertisement
Mario isn't any of those guys so he shouldn't be treated like them. Day was in the in-house choice rubber stamped by Meyer. Lincoln Riley has been to multiple playoffs and is on what his potential 5th straight Big 12 title. Never lost more than 2 games in season. Jimbo and Meyer national title winners. Harbaugh winner at Stanford when the Pac 12 was good and took a team to the Super Bowl. We are not swimming in that pool and neither is Mario.
You're kidding yourself

That’s just the game now. You’re chasing your plan A’s, not the other way around. This isn’t a manager on the first shift at checkers.
Another reason why the hiring of coaches is such a crapshoot. They're not actually doing the work to figure out who actually fits.

Will anyone all in on Mario ask him this question? Why does your loaded roster consistently struggle to put outclassed and overmatched teams away?
Maybe that question is too incisive to ask an elite coach I guess. But it is something he should be able to explain.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back