Barry Jackson--recruiting tips for Diaz

Advertisement
I've been saying for a while that we need to adopt the Frank Beamer method and just have a staff filled with coaches that can identify and develop talent; I'm not necessarily saying "f*** recruiting" but it shouldn't take precedence. We're in the part of the country where we could afford it. Miami is never going to outbid the SEC or Clemson so why not poach the diamonds in the rough and build your team up until you're able to sit near or with the big dogs? Get amateurs like Banda, Patke, Enos, and Barry out. If you really like Rumph, pair him with a DB coach that can recruit.

A coach has a knack for developing all-conference players--get him
All of the units a guy has a hand in increases their production--get him
Coach pumps out a 1st or 2nd rounder at every stop--get him.

HC-Manny
OC- Chip Long RB-Hickson, WR- Trooper, TE- Fields, OL- ? (wanted Addazio)

DC- ? (Odom just got picked up FU**!) DL-KP, LB-? , CB- TRob, S- Maurice Linguist

I'm also not opposed to having one or two local guys on staff, but in an analyst role.

Why don't we get Ed Reed to coach the DBs, he is dying to coach. He is one of the coaches for the Under Armour Game along with Deion Sanders. He was on the Lebatard Show selling himself for coaching jobs,he was even asking the guys of the show if they know anyone or hear something to keep him in mind. We know at least he will not half *** it or take it for granted, he will coach like he played.
Heard good arguments against hiring Reed for anything, but I say bring him in.

Not that changes don't need to be made but Bluestein just doesn't have it anymore. How do you say there is nobody who can go into inner city living rooms and then mention Pat Surtain 🤔?
He said no one can go Into the living rooms and pull the kids. ****, I can go sit in a living room w surtain JR and not sign him.

I’m perfect for the job is my point!!

Advertisement
He said no one can go Into the living rooms and pull the kids. ****, I can go sit in a living room w surtain JR and not sign him.

I’m perfect for the job is my point!!
I'll get the same results for half.

These same dudes make this same argument every time Miami has a new staff. They shill for the local corch buddies that stroke their egos.

Newsflash: you don't need Miami ties to recruit South Florida. You need to win.
At the very least, you need to consistently make players look good (of which I acknowledge winning is a common byproduct). We haven't done that well enough - especially on offense, obviously. Until we do, we'll continue to see what we've seen. If we ever consistently stomp out ACC Coastal opponents and FIU-types (can't believe I have to write that), even with non-elite recruits, we'll quickly have a more solid argument for elite recruits. When we get them, we'll win bigger. We're seemingly focused on all the wrong kind of details.

Advertisement
At the very least, you need to consistently make players look good (of which I acknowledge winning is a common byproduct). We haven't done that well enough - especially on offense, obviously. Until we do, we'll continue to see what we've seen. If we ever consistently stomp out ACC Coastal opponents and FIU-types (can't believe I have to write that), even with non-elite recruits, we'll quickly have a more solid argument for elite recruits. When we get them, we'll win bigger. We're seemingly focused on all the wrong kind of details.

I've really been stressing this throughout the season. Player development is paramount regardless of what kind of "South Florida athletes" you recruit. The fans pile on Rumph but CB is the only position group on the team that's been developed the past few years, maybe RB now too. WR & OL have been a travesty in that department.

If we don't develop players we need to at least put them in functional schemes.

I am not glued to Stubbs but lets not make it seem like the guy has been striking out on the recruiting trail either. Michael Fleming is a stud athletically. There isn't a kid in SoFla who has better SPARQ numbers then him at WR. Daz was a national recruit. He's no ham on rye either. And his biggest project was the development of Dee Wiggins this year. A SoFla kid who posters on here left for dead because he couldn't catch. I am not ready to throw him in the trash just yet.

Now Rumph on the other hand either needs to get his **** together or get out. And ive been his biggest defender on here. Cant defend him anymore. You cant keep striking out at CB year and year and think you can keep your job. Can't happen. Hes a good developer of talent but hes not good enough to mask his defiencies as a recruiter. We have only 1 CB committed in this class. Embarassing.
The same way you feel about Rumph now, is how you're going to feel about Stubbs in the future.

My criticism of him has nothing to do with Redding, I'm extremely high on that kid & happy we landed him.

But it's not about this class, it's about down the line, it's hard for people to understand where I'm coming from on this one but eventually yall will get it ...

The same way you feel about Rumph now, is how you're going to feel about Stubbs in the future.

My criticism of him has nothing to do with Redding, I'm extremely high on that kid & happy we landed him.

But it's not about this class, it's about down the line, it's hard for people to understand where I'm coming from on this one but eventually yall will get it ...

2019 NFL Draft had one of the deepest WR groups of all time. 2020 class looks just as strong if not stronger.

WR skills training and development at the grassroots level is very strong and continuing to grow. There are plenty of talented WR recruits to find if you evaluate well enough. Miami is not going to suffer the way you think if they miss on local raw athletes. The talent pool is too deep. It would be nice to start landing the more polished guys like the Coopers, Jeudys and Dunmores though.

Advertisement
We’re not 6-6 because we don’t have good enough players. Getting better players isn’t going to solve anything. I’ll worry about recruiting again when we have a staff that can get us to Charlotte.

You're wasting your breath/keystrokes. People will still insist on having this discussion.

Are we recruiting at the level we should be? Nope.

Is that failure why we suck to the level we do? Nope.

Is this discussion (while accurate in its critique of our recruiting deficiencies) worthy as only a rationale as why we can never get over the hump and beat Clemson in the ACCCG? Yep.

I understand the temptation based on our geographical riches in thinking we can recruit our way out of bad corching and just amass enough talent that it renders it irrelevant almost in the Botch Davis bad gameday corch but legendary talent evaluator model.

That just ain't happening and until we at least do what should be easy with the talent we do have/are getting coupled with the weak Coarstal and routinely win 10 games and make it to Charlotte regularly then all this other debate is putting the cart before the horse in the true path to us ever being "back".

What do you mean by this?

Advertisement
"Blustein said it’s vital. “A [great recruiter with local ties] would help,” Blustein said. “This is not an opinion. It’s a fact. Do they have a coach who can go into inner city living rooms? Parents are not going to relate to some of these coaches."

“[Cornerbacks coach] Mike Rumph didn’t get [Alabama and former St. Thomas Aquinas] cornerback Pat Surtain. He hasn’t gotten [a lot of the top kids]. Trajan Bandy loved the program; that’s why he came."

"Add another quality recruiter or two to the staff, says the top two local recruiting analysts, Larry Blustein and Charles Fishbein:"

“They don’t have a guy who can sit in a living room and pull in these kids,” Blustein continued. “We’ll see with the Northwestern juniors; they will try to get [four-star Class of 2021 Miami Northwestern outside linebacker] Terrence Lewis but I doubt they will get him. Alabama, UF have more on the table” in terms of winning, attendance and other appealing assets."

"Fishbein agrees: “Manny is going to have to make changes to his staff.”

"Blustein said: “Why not hire [Miami Central High coach] Roland Smith? He’s a consummate pro, a former Miami Hurricane. He has that presence to go into living rooms. You’ve got to play to the strengths of your team. They’re missing out on a lot of guys.”

Good stuff.

Go Canes

We should 100% go get Devin Bush Sr.

**** I'd even be in favor of bringing back guys like Corey Bell or Wesley McGriff.

Also would replace Stubbs with DJ McCarthy to, but he's beloved on this board so you're not really allowed to speak on that, but I can tell you we're going to struggle landing South Fla WR's for the 2021/22 classes with him calling the shots as WR coach.

Get prepared for lots of OOS medium speed "route technicians" for the near future.

I see you got jokes today withh Stubbs is off limits statement. Man Taylor Stubblefield is out of his element at Miami.

Go Canes

"Blustein said it’s vital. “A [great recruiter with local ties] would help,” Blustein said. “This is not an opinion. It’s a fact. Do they have a coach who can go into inner city living rooms? Parents are not going to relate to some of these coaches."

“[Cornerbacks coach] Mike Rumph didn’t get [Alabama and former St. Thomas Aquinas] cornerback Pat Surtain. He hasn’t gotten [a lot of the top kids]. Trajan Bandy loved the program; that’s why he came."

"Add another quality recruiter or two to the staff, says the top two local recruiting analysts, Larry Blustein and Charles Fishbein:"

“They don’t have a guy who can sit in a living room and pull in these kids,” Blustein continued. “We’ll see with the Northwestern juniors; they will try to get [four-star Class of 2021 Miami Northwestern outside linebacker] Terrence Lewis but I doubt they will get him. Alabama, UF have more on the table” in terms of winning, attendance and other appealing assets."

"Fishbein agrees: “Manny is going to have to make changes to his staff.”

"Blustein said: “Why not hire [Miami Central High coach] Roland Smith? He’s a consummate pro, a former Miami Hurricane. He has that presence to go into living rooms. You’ve got to play to the strengths of your team. They’re missing out on a lot of guys.”

Don't say anything bad about Rumph that's a CIS legend he's is the ultimate developer of free agents.

Advertisement
Back