Barry Jackson--recruiting tips for Diaz

Advertisement
I just don’t understand why this is so hard for so many to grasp. We started 7-0 and better in both 2013 and 2017. We were set up for top 5 classes and then collapsed. Luckily in 2017 we had the early signing period that saved us. When Miami wins, we recruit well, it’s just that simple.
Wow, Cutting edge observation! Lol if that’s the case then how about we hire a competent top notch staff to start winning some games? Just a thought, you know a staff that doesn’t go 6-6 with a blue chip ratio over 50%. Smh

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am not glued to Stubbs but lets not make it seem like the guy has been striking out on the recruiting trail either. Michael Fleming is a stud athletically. There isn't a kid in SoFla who has better SPARQ numbers then him at WR. Daz was a national recruit. He's no ham on rye either. And his biggest project was the development of Dee Wiggins this year. A SoFla kid who posters on here left for dead because he couldn't catch. I am not ready to throw him in the trash just yet.

Now Rumph on the other hand either needs to get his **** together or get out. And ive been his biggest defender on here. Cant defend him anymore. You cant keep striking out at CB year and year and think you can keep your job. Can't happen. Hes a good developer of talent but hes not good enough to mask his defiencies as a recruiter. We have only 1 CB committed in this class. Embarassing.

These same dudes make this same argument every time Miami has a new staff. They shill for the local corch buddies that stroke their egos.

Newsflash: you don't need Miami ties to recruit South Florida. You need to win.

Agree I don’t buy that at all. I would add that you need to be able to recruit too.

Stop with the hiring of unqualified south Florida high school coaches to appease high school coaches and recruits. It doesn’t work that well with UM.

We beat this to death but we hired a former high school coach as a DB coach and a couple of years later a five star DB who the DB coach knew all his life and five star was at the high school our DB coach previously coached at and we still couldn’t get him.

So FOH with the hiring local coaches for recruiting. It doesn’t work nearly as well as it does other schools.

Is there any doubt had Rumph been the DB coach at OSU he would’ve cleaned up? So the question is why is that? My answer is bags and a winning program over “local ties”.

Advertisement
Miami does not have a recruiting problem. They have a coaching problem, specifically, an offensive coaching problem.

Even if Miami is 11-1, there are going to be local kids who will be poached. There are just some who prioritize bags over all else. But there are others who do not. Bottom line, Miami isn't losing because they don't have good players. They're losing because they can't score any points on offense. 6-6 with a class pushing the Top 10 should give you all the information you need.

We're ranked 12th on 247 by player average after a 6-6 season

Is Cristobal now a **** recruiter because he's being out recruited by a Manny Diaz led staff?

Teams ahead of us are

OSU
Clemson
Oklahoma
Auburn
Bama
UGA
LSU
Texas A&M
UF
ND
Texas
Yea we’re number 14 sport, not 12 and our class has no offensive lineman or CBS. I’d trade our class for Mario’s in heart beat because atleast it’s balanced! Something manure and company can’t seem to do to save there lives. Smh

Why don't we get Ed Reed to coach the DBs, he is dying to coach. He is one of the coaches for the Under Armour Game along with Deion Sanders. He was on the Lebatard Show selling himself for coaching jobs,he was even asking the guys of the show if they know anyone or hear something to keep him in mind. We know at least he will not half *** it or take it for granted, he will coach like he played.

Jesu effing Christo with this same crap all the effing time.

Again, Ol' Blu is a nice guy when he's not offering up immediate condolences for hostage takers but I digress and wish this lame old crap about being "able to go into local livingrooms" would just stop.

If oldheads like Blu and simpletons had their way our entire staff would be guys like Icee Harris. How'd that turn out?

These clowns are slaves to the local high school football bubble they exist in and think the answers to all of our problems can be found there. Please. That world and culture actually accounts for more of our problems than it could ever solve.

But the truth is, there are guys who can recruit and guys who can't. There are other factors, but in the end there's something about certain guys that allows them to relate to kids and their families. Maybe you don't need to be a black HS coach to do it, but there's truth to some guys just being great recruiters.

I don't care where they come from, those are the guys we need.

Advertisement
Why don't we get Ed Reed to coach the DBs, he is dying to coach. He is one of the coaches for the Under Armour Game along with Deion Sanders. He was on the Lebatard Show selling himself for coaching jobs,he was even asking the guys of the show if they know anyone or hear something to keep him in mind. We know at least he will not half *** it or take it for granted, he will coach like he played.
Because that would be more of the same incompetence. If #20 wants to coach, come to Miami as a GA or something like that work your way up and earn the position. I guess hiring him as DB coach would be a slight step up from hiring a former bartender though...

"Blustein said it’s vital. “A [great recruiter with local ties] would help,” Blustein said. “This is not an opinion. It’s a fact. Do they have a coach who can go into inner city living rooms? Parents are not going to relate to some of these coaches."

“[Cornerbacks coach] Mike Rumph didn’t get [Alabama and former St. Thomas Aquinas] cornerback Pat Surtain. He hasn’t gotten [a lot of the top kids]. Trajan Bandy loved the program; that’s why he came."

"Add another quality recruiter or two to the staff, says the top two local recruiting analysts, Larry Blustein and Charles Fishbein:"

“They don’t have a guy who can sit in a living room and pull in these kids,” Blustein continued. “We’ll see with the Northwestern juniors; they will try to get [four-star Class of 2021 Miami Northwestern outside linebacker] Terrence Lewis but I doubt they will get him. Alabama, UF have more on the table” in terms of winning, attendance and other appealing assets."

"Fishbein agrees: “Manny is going to have to make changes to his staff.”

"Blustein said: “Why not hire [Miami Central High coach] Roland Smith? He’s a consummate pro, a former Miami Hurricane. He has that presence to go into living rooms. You’ve got to play to the strengths of your team. They’re missing out on a lot of guys.”

They are in major need of recruiting person/people as you said. I think that would be a huge help going forward.

But the truth is, there are guys who can recruit and guys who can't. There are other factors, but in the end there's something about certain guys that allows them to relate to kids and their families. Maybe you don't need to be a black HS coach to do it, but there's truth to some guys just being great recruiters.

I don't care where they come from, those are the guys we need.

For sure. I wasn't discounting that recruiting ability is beyond a real thing/skill in college football and there certainly are superstar type guys at it. I was just discounting the same tired old solutions we always hear from the Blustein and other local types that alwaysssss involve the hiring of South Florida high school coaches to our college staff.

Advertisement
By all means we should focus on something that's not even close to our biggest problem.

D$'s thread provides a very nice summary.

I know it's not just bags, that's why I said they care about three things, in no particular order: Winning, bags and playing time. It depends on the kid.

The nonsense Blustein spews about local ties and going into neighborhoods isn't as important as those three factors. Not even close.

Look at the recruitment of Amari Cooper, the guy who pretty much started it all. Injured his junior season, not recruited by Bama at all. Goes to camp in June, leaves with an offer and is committed by September. He saw an opportunity to win every week and see early PT. Don't know about the bag but I'll assume based on what I read here every day.

No local ties. No dramatic in home where mom and dad were convinced around the dinner table. Offered and committed in a couple of months and done.

We need to win before worrying about anything else. The rest of Barry's article is fake TV movie nonsense.
And we need a competent coaching staff to “win” so what the Fvck is your point?! To let these same incompetent coaches/admin continue doing the same thing and expecting different results? If you want to go insane then be my guest but I like my sanity. Something has to change in the foundation at UM and that’s what the local guys like Blu were saying. Anyone who disagrees with that is either as blind as a bat or a Hecht center shill.

For sure. I wasn't discounting that recruiting ability is beyond a real thing/skill in college football and there certainly are superstar type guys at it. I was just discounting the same tired old solutions we always hear from the Blustein and other local types that alwaysssss involve the hiring of South Florida high school coaches to our college staff.

Yeah, I don't mind hiring HS coaches, but you never know if they can do it at the next level. At some point I think we have to get lucky with some inexperienced guys. Guys with proven records as recruiters don't want to come to Miami. Much like top HS prospects.

At some point we have to do more with less and hope that attracts better coaches and players. If that means HS coaches fine, but they better work out. Nobody has patience for more guys who can't coach or recruit.

Advertisement
Back