Barry Jackson--recruiting tips for Diaz

CarolCityHigh

Freshman
"Blustein said it’s vital. “A [great recruiter with local ties] would help,” Blustein said. “This is not an opinion. It’s a fact. Do they have a coach who can go into inner city living rooms? Parents are not going to relate to some of these coaches."

“[Cornerbacks coach] Mike Rumph didn’t get [Alabama and former St. Thomas Aquinas] cornerback Pat Surtain. He hasn’t gotten [a lot of the top kids]. Trajan Bandy loved the program; that’s why he came."

"Add another quality recruiter or two to the staff, says the top two local recruiting analysts, Larry Blustein and Charles Fishbein:"

“They don’t have a guy who can sit in a living room and pull in these kids,” Blustein continued. “We’ll see with the Northwestern juniors; they will try to get [four-star Class of 2021 Miami Northwestern outside linebacker] Terrence Lewis but I doubt they will get him. Alabama, UF have more on the table” in terms of winning, attendance and other appealing assets."

"Fishbein agrees: “Manny is going to have to make changes to his staff.”

"Blustein said: “Why not hire [Miami Central High coach] Roland Smith? He’s a consummate pro, a former Miami Hurricane. He has that presence to go into living rooms. You’ve got to play to the strengths of your team. They’re missing out on a lot of guys.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
I also like this mentioned in the article--

St. Thomas Aquinas three-star offensive tackle Marlon Martinez said he committed to LSU early in the process because Miami hadn’t offered him; the Canes have tried recently to get him to be part of their 2020 class but without success.

And Hollywood McArthur three-star linebacker Ruben Hyppolite said he committed to Maryland earlier because Miami wasn’t seriously recruiting him; the Canes reportedly later offered him but then stopped contacting him.

I despise Manny and all of the staff besides Stroud, Hickson and Fields.

But this current class is incredibly good relatively speaking after witnessing the worst UM product I maybe have ever seen.

I'd assume a lot of that is simply b/c FSU is somehow worse off than us. I do agree that Baker and that arrogant POS Enos fck are about as relatable to inner city kids as women are relatable to @nystateofmind

Advertisement
This is what many of us have been saying for a time:
Consider a spread offense:

This is something we’ve heard from local coaches, and Blustein said “you have athletes down here to go spread. Miami has skill kids and plenty of speed.”

One local coach said: “I don’t know that Miami can get away” with Diaz’s new policy that nonbinding commitments are at risk of having their offers pulled if they visit other schools after the summer before their senior season.

One change that UM is making which has some merit: Trying to avoid players with baggage or off-field issues and gravitating toward players with stable upbringings.

Blustein said it’s understandable that patience is running thin.

“People say it’s going to take time; they don’t have time,” Blustein said. “They just wasted five years. Dan Mullen came into Florida and turned this around in two years. There’s no more time for this. Manny has been part of the regime for four years. It has taken 18 years to be relevant. It’s not that hard to win in the ACC and yet they can’t.”

“People say it’s going to take time; they don’t have time,” Blustein said. “They just wasted five years. Dan Mullen came into Florida and turned this around in two years. There’s no more time for this. Manny has been part of the regime for four years. It has taken 18 years to be relevant. It’s not that hard to win in the ACC and yet they can’t.”

very true

These same dudes make this same argument every time Miami has a new staff. They shill for the local corch buddies that stroke their egos.

Newsflash: you don't need Miami ties to recruit South Florida. You need to win.
Mullen recruits as well as Helen Keller, but winning is solving a lot of those issues for him.

That top 10 2018 class proves that all it takes is for Miami to put out just an above average product and recruits will come.

Advertisement

St. Thomas Aquinas three-star offensive tackle Marlon Martinez said he committed to LSU early in the process because Miami hadn’t offered him; the Canes have tried recently to get him to be part of their 2020 class but without success.

And Hollywood McArthur three-star linebacker Ruben Hyppolite said he committed to Maryland earlier because Miami wasn’t seriously recruiting him; the Canes reportedly later offered him but then stopped contacting him.
Jesus Christ

We should 100% go get Devin Bush Sr.

**** I'd even be in favor of bringing back guys like Corey Bell or Wesley McGriff.

Also would replace Stubbs with DJ McCarthy to, but he's beloved on this board so you're not really allowed to speak on that, but I can tell you we're going to struggle landing South Fla WR's for the 2021/22 classes with him calling the shots as WR coach.

Get prepared for lots of OOS medium speed "route technicians" for the near future.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Ivins was writing just recently that Chris Morris the 4 star OG was begging for an offer less than a year ago but no one offered and he is not even going to come down here for a visit now-canceled out.

We should 100% go get Devin Bush Sr.

**** I'd even be in favor of bringing back guys like Corey Bell or Wesley McGriff.

Also would replace Stubbs with DJ McCarthy to, but he's beloved on this board so you're not really allowed to speak on that, but I can tell you we're going to struggle landing South Fla WR's for the 2021/22 classes with him calling the shots as WR coach.

Get prepared for lots OOS of medium speed "route technicians" for the near future.
That is depressing af

Advertisement
Back