Barry Jackson--recruiting tips for Diaz

Advertisement
Yeah man. While I do think that average player rank is important, I also think our class is unbalanced. F$U had well-ranked classes made up of all DB’s.

Really, I haven’t even been sweating this recruiting cycle because it doesn’t matter to me. Manny would struggle to win our Division with Top 10 talent. On field coaching competence is needed immediately.

There are people on the BOT that care but I wish they would do more and I wish the numbers on the Board that cared like we want were higher. Our best hope right now is that Highsmith comes in. I believe that if that happens then he can turn it around.
🙏

Win and show kids your coaching makes them better and not worse and we’ll recruit well. It’s that simple
Yes sir, first step is coaching competence. Win what we should, the way we should, consistently, with what we have.

Hiring Diaz was the equivalent of the Dolphins hiring Cam Cameron. Cameron had been fired from his job as a HC at Indiana. Then was "the architect" of a decent San Diego offense and people forgot all about his firing. Having Philip Rivers and Drew Brees made him look smart. Got another chance to be a HC and was, unsurprisingly, a massive failure. I still remember "Fail forward fast."

Advertisement
"Blustein said it’s vital. “A [great recruiter with local ties] would help,” Blustein said. “This is not an opinion. It’s a fact. Do they have a coach who can go into inner city living rooms? Parents are not going to relate to some of these coaches."

“[Cornerbacks coach] Mike Rumph didn’t get [Alabama and former St. Thomas Aquinas] cornerback Pat Surtain. He hasn’t gotten [a lot of the top kids]. Trajan Bandy loved the program; that’s why he came."

"Add another quality recruiter or two to the staff, says the top two local recruiting analysts, Larry Blustein and Charles Fishbein:"

“They don’t have a guy who can sit in a living room and pull in these kids,” Blustein continued. “We’ll see with the Northwestern juniors; they will try to get [four-star Class of 2021 Miami Northwestern outside linebacker] Terrence Lewis but I doubt they will get him. Alabama, UF have more on the table” in terms of winning, attendance and other appealing assets."

"Fishbein agrees: “Manny is going to have to make changes to his staff.”

"Blustein said: “Why not hire [Miami Central High coach] Roland Smith? He’s a consummate pro, a former Miami Hurricane. He has that presence to go into living rooms. You’ve got to play to the strengths of your team. They’re missing out on a lot of guys.”

add bags...repeat often

Advertisement
Díaz either wins the Coastal next season or he needs to be fired along with Blake James. It’s simple. Blow it up and start over if he can’t get it done.

South Fla WR's are mischaracterized as "raw athletes" as to insinuate that they're just fast with no technical skill, but the NFL is loaded with them...

Tyreek Hill, TY Hilton, Amari Cooper, Marquise Brown, John Brown, Calvin Ridley, Sammy Watkins, Travis Benjamin, Allen Hurns, Phillip Dorsett, Johnny Holton, Deonte Thompson, Ricardo Louis & Isaiah McKenzie, and that's not including Tampa guys like Deon Cain & Ray Ray McCloud & unsigned out of work guys like Antonio Brown, Kamar Aiken & Eli Rogers who were all productive when they were in the league. Not to mention the next crop that will be heading into the league this upcoming draft spearheaded by Jeudy (who will be a first rounder).

I know there's a big push on the board for us to stop recruiting South Fla because the local guys are supposedly all undisciplined, overrated & stupid, but the reality is WR is an unquestioned position that the region produces literally every year. We can debate on positions like QB, OL, etc.., but WR, that debate is over with 3 decades worth of elite playmakers that have excelled & been highly productive in both college & the pro's.

I'm not saying we shouldn't recruit non South Fla WR's, whoever is good & wants to play here go get'em wherever they are, no problem with that. But if people think those types of guys we produce in our backyard can be replaced with a bunch of slower Enox/Stubbs prototype possession WR's then I simply hope people get comfortable with where we are now...

We need talent & neglecting local talent simply because we have coaches who don't know how to recruit them is what's commonly referred to as, hustling backwards.

I agree. I'm saying we need to recruit the right ones. I mentioned a few in my post. Eli Rogers is a good example of a WR with limited physical traits but good positional/conceptual skills. Douglas Emilien would have been a nice pickup this year as well. You can find skilled WRs anywhere and the best ones tend to come from Florida (AB, Cooper, Jeudy, etc).

Advertisement
South Fla WR's are mischaracterized as "raw athletes" as to insinuate that they're just fast with no technical skill, but the NFL is loaded with them...

Tyreek Hill, TY Hilton, Amari Cooper, Marquise Brown, John Brown, Calvin Ridley, Sammy Watkins, Travis Benjamin, Allen Hurns, Phillip Dorsett, Johnny Holton, Deonte Thompson, Ricardo Louis & Isaiah McKenzie, and that's not including Tampa guys like Deon Cain & Ray Ray McCloud & unsigned out of work guys like Antonio Brown, Kamar Aiken & Eli Rogers who were all productive when they were in the league. Not to mention the next crop that will be heading into the league this upcoming draft spearheaded by Jeudy (who will be a first rounder).

I know there's a big push on the board for us to stop recruiting South Fla because the local guys are supposedly all undisciplined, overrated & stupid, but the reality is WR is an unquestioned position that the region produces literally every year. We can debate on positions like QB, OL, etc.., but WR, that debate is over with 3 decades worth of elite playmakers that have excelled & been highly productive in both college & the pro's.

I'm not saying we shouldn't recruit non South Fla WR's, whoever is good & wants to play here go get'em wherever they are, no problem with that. But if people think those types of guys we produce in our backyard can be replaced with a bunch of slower Enox/Stubbs prototype possession WR's then I simply hope people get comfortable with where we are now...

We need talent & neglecting local talent simply because we have coaches who don't know how to recruit them is what's commonly referred to as, hustling backwards.
WR and DB are positions we should never worry about leaving So Fla for.

We had the #36 ranked class last year

We will have a class ranked in the 20’s this year

It will take the next coach 5 years to turn over and rebuild from the mess Manny is making

Manny Diaz has been a disaster for Miami

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back