6.4 Ivins Update

Mike Rumph can have an old school approach to recruiting if it works. He can have an old school approach to recruiting if his development is elite. So far it isn’t working. I have a concern with the overall numbers. And I have a concern with our inability to develop a first or second round Cornerback.

HENDERSON goes high. Our guy goes.....

It is what it is. Evaluate better. Recruit better. Develop better. Produce better.

Advertisement
OK, let me just ask a simple question.

Most people are complaining that Rumph has missed out on 5-star/4-star guys. Top candidates.

Are there ANY of the top guys (who went to SEC schools or Clemson-F$U, etc.) that Rumph missed out on because he couldn't offer them, or had to offer them late?

Just asking. I am stumped. I like Rumph but I can admit he isn't recruiting as well as he could/should too.

I don't think that is the issue. I think it is he may find player A, high 4 star kid from Cali or OOS who has legit interest in UM that he wants to recruit and is told no, or to hold off, or wait because they want to go after Player B, also a high 4 star kid but a local kid who doesn't have much interest in UM. He is not an elite recruiter so he can't make up the ground after starting behind the 8ball and is left pulling a rabbit out of the hat last minute.

Mike Rumph can have an old school approach to recruiting if it works. He can have an old school approach to recruiting if his development is elite. So far it isn’t working. I have a concern with the overall numbers. And I have a concern with our inability to develop a first or second round Cornerback.

It is what it is. Evaluate better. Recruit better. Develop better. Produce better.
Since Rumph got here what corner back prospect had as much raw physical talent as CJ. Please tell me what corner back prospect was so gifted he played running back while 170 soaking wet with boots and a back pack and producing in dade county.
What player have we landed that was a low 4.4 guy as a junior and above 6 foot tall. CJ was being recruited as a corner back by everyone despite never even having film or playing at the position. The failure may be a generational disconnect with Rumph. He can’t have that hard *** old school coach Approach (not saying he does or is still doing it). Not excusing his misses and I also believe that this year he has to knock it out of the park on the field and land some dudes with better raw talent. But trying to make cj Henderson a first round corner back is a lot easier than trying to make Michael Jackson one.

Last edited:
Why is that surprising? This whole Amari-Daniels-is-slow/bad narrative really should stop. He ran a 11.02 100m as a freshman (that's flying) and his junior highlights show him exploding away from the best high school comp in the nayshun.

Have people actually watched his junior film? Because the narrative seems to be based on his (admittedly underwhelming) sophomore tape. His junior stuff looks better than yulkeith browns junior highlights and nobody has a problem with him.

What Amari lacks is lower body strength. That is easy to work on

Agreed on a lot of this. Junior film looks much better than sophomore film (and he was healthier, too). He may look even better this year if he's truly healthy and working on his body.

When I watch him run, I see very good speed and decent (but not great) agility. He doesn't have much wiggle, but he can put his foot in the ground to make the right cut and hit the gas. His vision and creativity as a runner is also probably undervalued.

But his inability to break tackles and lack of balance through contact gives me pause. I don't know what his lower body strength actually looks like, but it's a possible explanation for his poor contact balance. For a guy hovering around 5'9", if the lower body isn't strong you'll never stay upright through contact.

It's possible that a legit S&C program could get that sorted out and unleash a scary change of pace, pinball RB with ++ vision and long speed. On the other hand, if his lower body doesn't look strong compared to HS players, he's going to have a tough road ahead to play catch-up in college.

I think someone said this earlier, but for a second RB in a class after taking two blue chip RBs, he's a take and worth the risk.

He wasnt very impressive his sophomore year. People seem to be stuck on that impression.

THIS.....I never commented much on it but they seem to think he peaked. I just think he didnt break out as much as he hit the ground running as a freshman...he did his thing as a jr though. And if Central ol performs as they hsould he'll have another big year. To me he may have a college career project of Cam Harris. His tape is likely better than Cam's right now...if he gets in the weightroom like Cam did..look out.

Advertisement

The old school approach can work but it's not necessarily about producing first or second round CBs. It's about establishing a track record of getting CBs to play above their level, consistently, over a period of time. Once one can demonstrate a body of work, you can start pitching the development angle and start attracting higher rated recruits. However, it's a long term approach and our roster is in a state that we can't afford to wait. There's no one on the defensive side to pick up the slack.

And worst, our track record over the past 15 years, has painted us as the anti-development option. We've done less with more. We've won the coastal once and have regressed since then. There are few quick fixes available because we now have to show it's not a one off and that we can sustain it.

Last edited:
So who are all the names of recruits he didn't get that were high 4 and 5 stars and where did they sign?

Want an honest take on his recruiting, answer that question and then get back to me on why they should have signed here rather than where they did.

Because that’s what it says on 247. Gill was brought in as a CB. He was a Rumph eval as well.
I know both were brought in as CBs. Banda was the primary for both. Keep on about what you don’t know. This has been noted 50x over in this board.

So who are all the names of recruits he didn't get that were high 4 and 5 stars and where did they sign?

Want an honest take on his recruiting, answer that question and then get back to me on why they should have signed here rather than where they did.

Just for reference how many recruits have you even heard mentioned his name in regards to their recruitment to an excitement level?.

2016-
Tyler Byrd- Tenn
Carlos Becker- FSU

2017-
CJ Henderson -UF
Marco Wilson-UF
**** we lost 4 dbs to UF alone.

2018-
Pat Surtain-Bama
Tyson Campbell-UGA
Asante Samuel-FSU

Where the chickens came to roost. Shouldve been able to funnel atleast ONE of the AH dbs he coached. He missed on all 3.

2019-

Kair Elam-UF
Jarvis Brownlee-FSU
Akeem Dent-FSU

He made a big recruiting coupe at the end of this cycle in Christian Williams.

Im only labeling guys i legitimately think we shoudve/couldve landed....there are tons of kids during those cycles not even targeted or recruited hard as different options other than the main kids. Everyone has misses..so you can do that for most coaches, alot of coaches dont have misses on layups...or that amount of misses when they are living at the free throw line (south florida area for dbs). This year's recruiting cycle is already mirroring every cycle since he has been here. There is no clear cut board (that the fans know atleast) an early commit of akid that doesnt play the position full time, kids locally committing to rivals, sh*t is ground hog day. The sky isnt falling for me as i believe its early enough in the cycle to do work..and the covid ruined some things...but we've seen how it typically plays out with our cb recruiting..i mean its been 5 cycles now.

Advertisement

Good point. He missed out on dudes that went to the top teams. Just like everyone else does.
I think he gets heat for Jayden Daniels but he never went after smaller dudes.
I think there was this notion that he got the job solely to recruit TC and ps2. People on here have said that he really didn’t coach db’s at heritage and although he had a longstanding relationship with TC and was close to ps2 and his dad we have to go back to 2016 and really look at where we were at as a program that time.
I’m torn about the matter after being so pro Rumph.
How Ivey and blades perform this year will speak about his coaching.
I think the bigger question is wether or not he is replaceable. It just sucks when our coaches get plucked by sec schools and they get magical recruiting powers.

Good point. He missed out on dudes that went to the top teams. Just like everyone else does.
I think he gets heat for Jayden Daniels but he never went after smaller dudes.
I think there was this notion that he got the job solely to recruit TC and ps2. People on here have said that he really didn’t coach db’s at heritage and although he had a longstanding relationship with TC and was close to ps2 and his dad we have to go back to 2016 and really look at where we were at as a program that time.
I’m torn about the matter after being so pro Rumph.
How Ivey and blades perform this year will speak about his coaching.
I think the bigger question is wether or not he is replaceable. It just sucks when our coaches get plucked by sec schools and they get magical recruiting powers.

I agree with alot as what you said..he lost guys to ucf and fsu as well who arent top teams per se. Lost guys to USC east. Its a lot. Im not torn though in that hes not a good recruiter...i want to see HIS guys in Ivey and Blades perform at a high level and get drafted which allows for something for him to lay his hat on which subsequently may help his recruitment.

One of those guys gotta become a DUDE, and i think they can. All of the other coaches/evals or picks are GONE..these are now his guys. He's excited for em based on the spring interview this season will be really key.

I agree with alot as what you said..he lost guys to ucf and fsu as well who arent top teams per se. Lost guys to USC east. Its a lot. Im not torn though in that hes not a good recruiter...i want to see HIS guys in Ivey and Blades perform at a high level and get drafted which allows for something for him to lay his hat on which subsequently may help his recruitment.

One of those guys gotta become a DUDE, and i think they can. All of the other coaches/evals or picks are GONE..these are now his guys. He's excited for em based on the spring interview this season will be really key.

I'm not on the pummel Rumph wagon. I think he is down the **** list vs Baker and Patke. And even Banda was more a liability as a coach than an asset until recently. But, ****, Rumph got beat by so many programs for so many kids. Henderson, Stevenson, Jobe, Surtain, on and on. And his handling of this year's board is not much better. He targets Marshall whom we have no shot at, and doesn't go all in for O Cooper and K Knowles, whom we have a good shot at.

Yest, the fact he still managed to land several low 4-stars and get one or two decent grad transfers makes up for a lot of that. But not all of it. He just can't keep swinging and missing. These misses have consequences, not just for his position, but also for Miami overall, as all the recruits' teammates take notice.

Again, while I don't entirely agree with Dee on his defense of Rumph -- Mike's a big boy who needs to handle his own responsibilities, not whine about Manny or Blake or whomever -- I do think Manny MUST HAVE known what he had in Rumph when he first hired him, and should have paired him with an ace recruiter from the get go.

My own approach would be to tell Patke to look for another job, move Banda to LBs/Striker, have Rumph coach the DBs, and get them an ***-kicking recruiter who also acts as the STs coach. Then tell that guy to help Rumph out in landing targets. Manny can go a lot of different directions with the staff to fix the problem. He just has to fix the problem.

Avante Williams can move over to corner in situations this year if need be. Corner isn’t the issue this year.

The more I think about it, the more I try and think positively about everything! And the more i’m worried. Right now, we are getting smoked in south florida or aren’t leading for any of these kids down there that we really need. If Diaz doesn’t win this year, and we have to find another coach, just ugh!

And I do think that’s a major issue! These kids saw 6-7. Honestly, we are lucky to have the talent we have listed above for how bad we were.

It’s never the issue until 1-2 injuries happen , hence why depth is important in a very physical sport. We should have double the cb depth , not sliding fr safeties over in a pinch. Even though he can play it ,how about recruiting the position good enough to not have to do that?

That’s the point of the Rumph ***** , it’s more than a fair gripe. It’s an obvious issue.

Advertisement
OK, let me just ask a simple question.

Most people are complaining that Rumph has missed out on 5-star/4-star guys. Top candidates.

Are there ANY of the top guys (who went to SEC schools or Clemson-F$U, etc.) that Rumph missed out on because he couldn't offer them, or had to offer them late?

Just asking. I am stumped. I like Rumph but I can admit he isn't recruiting as well as he could/should too.

We keep taking transfers and grad transfers at cb because the depth continues to be a mess, caused by Rumph missing so much. The numbers have been off since he’s been here, luckily we’ve avoided multiple injuries in a season or it could be really bad.

We had five cb’s last year , that’s so insane I can’t even wrap my head around it. After the first three guys we had two true FR, one being very undersized. They had no choice to play the three guys because there was nobody else lol. How could you bench a guy for bad play when there’s nobody left?

It’s just crazy.

Yes in a few instances we have done dual style partnered recruiting on prospects, for instance the WR we just landed Jacolby George was recruited by Hickson, Likens & Lashlee but mostly Hickson & Likens due to Hickson's connections in Broward county & his overall ability to recruit, he also had familiarity with George so it made it easier for Likens to transition into recruit him as well despite only being on staff for 3 months.

I know Banda assists in recruiting multiple positions & not just the position they coach, same with Coach Field. Coach Field due to his long history coaching in South FL recruits a lot of the local prospects we target even if they're not TE's, especially at MNW because he used to coach there & is very familiar with the coaches.

The staff is basically divided up by regions & they issue offers based on which coaches cover certain regions, that particular coach will initiate first contact with a recruit & let him know he's being offered & what they think of his tape, and then the specific position coach will take over at some point after its clear where they stand on exactly where they may have that prospect slotted on their board.

As far as Rumph, I think they keep him at CB's coach due to his coaching acumen, but in order to improve our CB recruiting they should give Banda more responsibility in that function, I mean they already do depending on the region & school, but overall they should let him take the reins on specific targets & just let him handle the sales aspect of it.

But you're absolutely right about Special Teams coach, it's a spot that almost exclusively designed for an ace recruiter to thrive, you can get a guy who specializes on either side of the ball, you can get an offensive or Defensive coach & plug him at ST's & just let him recruit, that to me is part of the issue with having Patke at that spot, he's basically just an OLB's coach but hasn't been good at all in recruiting LB's. To me, I'd get another dynamic recruiter at that spot & let them focus on helping us land top tier Corners.

Patke steals money, while sucking at everything including st’s.
Rumph sucks.
Banda and stroud literally carry the entire defensive recruiting. It’s been a **** show.

Banda gets hate but like you said he recruits other positions, including offense. He had a huge hand in Chaneys recruitment. The Chaneys speak very highly of him.

Advertisement
Rumph sucks.
Banda and stroud literally carry the entire defensive recruiting. It’s been a **** show.

Banda gets hate but like you said he recruits other positions, including offense. He had a huge hand in Chaneys recruitment. The Chaneys speak very highly of him.
And at a program like Miami, Banda should be the weakest link, not the strongest. We're going to win 10-11 games with Jose B nailing 50 yarders and Roche/GR15 combining for 20+ sacks (25 more like it). This will be what we all want and need as fans, but will gloss over the deficiencies you've pointed out.

Rumph sucks.

What’s this I’m hearing that Rumph doesn’t actually recruit the position?

For some reason, posters on here are using the Joe Yearby attribution property when they think of Daniels but they are completely different players

crazy but yearby was solid for us. Almost back to back 1k seasons. Always shook the first defender. Just didn’t have enough speed. I personally felt he was better the Walton

Advertisement
Back