6.4 Ivins Update

Advertisement
Just for reference how many recruits have you even heard mentioned his name in regards to their recruitment to an excitement level?.

2016-
Tyler Byrd- Tenn
Carlos Becker- FSU

2017-
CJ Henderson -UF
Marco Wilson-UF
**** we lost 4 dbs to UF alone.

2018-
Pat Surtain-Bama
Tyson Campbell-UGA
Asante Samuel-FSU

Where the chickens came to roost. Shouldve been able to funnel atleast ONE of the AH dbs he coached. He missed on all 3.

2019-

Kair Elam-UF
Jarvis Brownlee-FSU
Akeem Dent-FSU

He made a big recruiting coupe at the end of this cycle in Christian Williams.

Byrd, come on man. Everyone thought he was coming here and then he picks Tenn out of the blue. I'm not putting that on anyone other than **** boi Byrd.

Becker, I don't remember us being in the hunt for him really. He's from an area it would take you a long time to name the last player we got from there. FSU still had Jimbo, and recent success. That's not a battle, that's a gimme.

The Henderson and Wilson class was a bad one for us. UF was producing corners at a clip far ahead of ours, so it made sense on that level.

Surtain and Campbell gave us a good look, but are you had two elite programs calling. They are exactly what I was talking about. You don't win these battles 99 percent of the time. Both were the number one recruit at their position at each school.

Samuels, should have been on him earlier. We were prioritizing big corners, almost got him, but too little too late.

Elam, wish we had got him. UF still outperforms us in the corner department.

Browlee, he was a four star? No way he should be and nobody I ever considered a loss.

Dent, overrated since his freshman year of high school. Not a corner I want on my team.

So basically you put up a list that doesn't prove anything. Some elite guys going to places know to out produce us at their position and to some of the elite recruiters / teams in the land. All the while we landed similar quality on paper that day as tye rest. Brownlee and Went though were some real reaches.

Good point. He missed out on dudes that went to the top teams. Just like everyone else does.
I think he gets heat for Jayden Daniels but he never went after smaller dudes.
I think there was this notion that he got the job solely to recruit TC and ps2. People on here have said that he really didn’t coach db’s at heritage and although he had a longstanding relationship with TC and was close to ps2 and his dad we have to go back to 2016 and really look at where we were at as a program that time.
I’m torn about the matter after being so pro Rumph.
How Ivey and blades perform this year will speak about his coaching.
I think the bigger question is wether or not he is replaceable. It just sucks when our coaches get plucked by sec schools and they get magical recruiting powers.

Nothing magical about it. I'm sending my kid to those better producing schools as well until we prove we can do it ourselves. That's just the harsh reality for me and I'm making a business decision based on today, not 15 to 20 years ago.

Advertisement
Lol LCE said on the 1st page that he hoped this thread didn’t derail into a bash Rumph fest and that’s what exactly what happened.
It always does lol.

But none of the comments I made in respects to Rumph were to bash him at all, I just called it how I see it. I think I was very fair towards him. And I have criticized him heavy before.

I like Rumph a lot & root for him to land the best CB's possible, but it's been too long for people to pretend as if there isn't an issue with CB recruiting, it just is. That doesn't mean he's a bad dude or needs to be fired or anything like that, but we can't keep burying our head in the sands on what's wrong with our CB recruiting because it's just not adding up.

I'm a solutions oriented guy, so I offer solutions to fix it, because I don't think our misses at CB are all just on him. To me Diaz has to recognize that Miami is losing out on every top tier CB locally & missing other under the radar kids from South FL who go elsewhere & ball out & that he needs to do something about it.

I believe bolstering up the Defensive staff with an ace recruiter would solve the problem IMO.

Nothing magical about it. I'm sending my kid to those better producing schools as well until we prove we can do it ourselves. That's just the harsh reality for me and I'm making a business decision based on today, not 15 to 20 years ago.
Let’s seem what this staff can do with the kids we got. Not winning enough games doesn’t necessarily equate to not having talent. But the talented dudes on our team in the last 10 years have gotten drafted. You can’t hide talent. And a few have gone in the first round.
I’m sure you’ve seen my posts about this topic.

Wtf is up with all of these safeties?
Does Rumph want to turn all these dudes into cb’s?
Are we just going zone 4-2-5? Can someone with some knowledge about coaching instead of ignorance like myself clarify this.

we changed the game by putting safeties at lb,lb at de and so forth

we’re changing the game again by turning safeties into corners or play 5 safety back end

chess not checkers my friend

Advertisement
Byrd, come on man. Everyone thought he was coming here and then he picks Tenn out of the blue. I'm not putting that on anyone other than **** boi Byrd.

Becker, I don't remember us being in the hunt for him really. He's from an area it would take you a long time to name the last player we got from there. FSU still had Jimbo, and recent success. That's not a battle, that's a gimme.

The Henderson and Wilson class was a bad one for us. UF was producing corners at a clip far ahead of ours, so it made sense on that level.

Surtain and Campbell gave us a good look, but are you had two elite programs calling. They are exactly what I was talking about. You don't win these battles 99 percent of the time. Both were the number one recruit at their position at each school.

Samuels, should have been on him earlier. We were prioritizing big corners, almost got him, but too little too late.

Elam, wish we had got him. UF still outperforms us in the corner department.

Browlee, he was a four star? No way he should be and nobody I ever considered a loss.

Dent, overrated since his freshman year of high school. Not a corner I want on my team.

So basically you put up a list that doesn't prove anything. Some elite guys going to places know to out produce us at their position and to some of the elite recruiters / teams in the land. All the while we landed similar quality on paper that day as tye rest. Brownlee and Went though were some real reaches.
The most egregious miss might end up being Tiawan Mullen, having not even offered or recruited him for him to go on to be a B1G Freshman all American.

And I'm not blaming that on Rumph, Idk if it was his decision to not offer him or not, but a kid like that shouldn't be ballin at a place like Indiana when we need Corners & he was in our backyard.

Then there's guys like Jaden Davis, Divaad Wilson & Jarques McClellion who have all played well at P5 schools & were kids we either didn't recruit much or simply overlooked. All 3 are slotted to have really good seasons this year as well, so it magnifies the misses.

I don't even hold the CJ Hendo, Wilson or the AH kids against Rumph, while we could've got at least one of'em I'm not sure short of dropping off a big bag of cash to any one of them what he could've done to get them to sign with Miami. Missing on Elam will hurt because he's another kid set for a big breakout season & looks to be a future 1st rounder, but again can't really overcome the family UF ties in that situation.

Now with all that said, no one on the board is a bigger fan of Blades than me, I put him in the same grouping of guys I mentioned earlier as being expected to have a big breakout year, I've posted in multiple threads what I think of Al Jr so I give Rumph credit for that.

I also like the potential of guys like Christian Williams, Tecory Couch & Marcus Clarke. I'm not all the sold on Dunson yet, but it's too inconclusive to make any definitive opinions on him now, but I hope they all work out to be ballers & play really well for us.

Again, I think the problem with the Rumph discussion is it always turns into a tug of war between two extremes, it's not that simple IMO. He's neither terrible or great, and you can like the CB's we do have while still being disappointed we didn't get some of the other ones we missed on.

To me it's more nuanced than anyone on the board ever wants to make it out to be so it just becomes a bash vs defend battle when it's more complicated than that.

It always does lol.

But none of the comments I made in respects to Rumph were to bash him at all, I just called it how I see it. I think I was very fair towards him. And I have criticized him heavy before.

I like Rumph a lot & root for him to land the best CB's possible, but it's been too long for people to pretend as if there isn't an issue with CB recruiting, it just is. That doesn't mean he's a bad dude or needs to be fired or anything like that, but we can't keep burying our head in the sands on what's wrong with our CB recruiting because it's just not adding up.

I'm a solutions oriented guy, so I offer solutions to fix it, because I don't think our misses at CB are all just on him. To me Diaz has to recognize that Miami is losing out on every top tier CB locally & missing other under the radar kids from South FL who go elsewhere & ball out & that he needs to do something about it.

I believe bolstering up the Defensive staff with an ace recruiter would solve the problem IMO.

Oh, I agree with you, even though I think the Rumph hate can be a little over the top at times on here. I just found it funny bc it was predictable af, this is CIS lol.

But I definitely agree that replacing Patke with a big time recruiter would really tighten up our recruiting efforts.

Oh, I agree with you, even though I think the Rumph hate can be a little over the top at times on here. I just found it funny bc it was predictable af, this is CIS lol.

But I definitely agree that replacing Patke with a big time recruiter would really tighten up our recruiting efforts.
Patke’s such a glaring, obvious choice for replacement/upgrade, it’s really frustrating.

I also like the potential of guys like Christian Williams, Tecory Couch & Marcus Clarke. I'm not all the sold on Dunson yet, but it's too inconclusive to make any definitive opinions on him now, but I hope they all work out to be ballers & play really well for us.

Couch is the real deal, Clarke has a ridiculously high ceiling, though will take a while to get there. Don't know enough about Williams yet. Dunson looked good to me on film but if he's a little too slow for man, he's lengthy enough to act as a third safety in a Nickle situation or even move to safety full time. I like all the takes. Just wish we had landed a couple of the turnkey studs, as well.

Advertisement
Patke’s such a glaring, obvious choice for replacement/upgrade, it’s really frustrating.

Yea, I try to not be too hard on him because everyone else has that covered but I’m just not sure what he brings to the table.

Does he even recruit? The LBs rarely mention him, it at all. And his units aren’t exactly killing it on the field either. If you’re not carrying your weight on the trail AND your on field coaching isn’t making up for it then what are we doing? You’ve gotta give me something Jon.

I know he’s Manny’s boy, but I truly believe he’s the weak link here. I think replacing him with a “ST” coach that’s a known recruiter would take our recruiting efforts from very good to potentially elite.

Yea, I try to not be too hard on him because everyone else has that covered but I’m just not sure what he brings to the table.

Does he even recruit? The LBs rarely mention him, it at all. And his units aren’t exactly killing it on the field either. If you’re not carrying your weight on the trail AND your on field coaching isn’t making up for it then what are we doing? You’ve gotta give me something Jon.

I know he’s Manny’s boy, but I truly believe he’s the weak link here. I think replacing him with a “ST” coach that’s a known recruiter would take our recruiting efforts from very good to potentially elite.
I don’t know about elite but at least solidify us and everything else you’ve mentioned is how I see it.

On defense, we could use help recruiting CB’s & LB’s and we need ST’s coaching as well. LCE’s mentioned it before. At any other major program, Patke is a grad assistant. How is DVD not in Patke’s current role, just looking at staff internally?

The most egregious miss might end up being Tiawan Mullen, having not even offered or recruited him for him to go on to be a B1G Freshman all American.

And I'm not blaming that on Rumph, Idk if it was his decision to not offer him or not, but a kid like that shouldn't be ballin at a place like Indiana when we need Corners & he was in our backyard.

Then there's guys like Jaden Davis, Divaad Wilson & Jarques McClellion who have all played well at P5 schools & were kids we either didn't recruit much or simply overlooked. All 3 are slotted to have really good seasons this year as well, so it magnifies the misses.

I don't even hold the CJ Hendo, Wilson or the AH kids against Rumph, while we could've got at least one of'em I'm not sure short of dropping off a big bag of cash to any one of them what he could've done to get them to sign with Miami. Missing on Elam will hurt because he's another kid set for a big breakout season & looks to be a future 1st rounder, but again can't really overcome the family UF ties in that situation.

Now with all that said, no one on the board is a bigger fan of Blades than me, I put him in the same grouping of guys I mentioned earlier as being expected to have a big breakout year, I've posted in multiple threads what I think of Al Jr so I give Rumph credit for that.

Again, I think the problem with the Rumph discussion is it always turns into a tug of war between two extremes, it's not that simple IMO. He's neither terrible or great, and you can like the CB's we do have while still being disappointed we didn't get some of the other ones we missed on.

To me it's more nuanced than anyone on the board ever wants to make it out to be so it just becomes a bash vs defend battle when it's more complicated than that.

I agree with almost all of that.

My thing is this, people like to point out the elites he misses and I believe I've said my piece on that.

Taiwan Mullen everyone missed on. I'm not going to hold anyone to that as if anyone decent believed, he wouldn't be at IU.

Jaden Davis, another elite school.

Wilson, another elite school.

We aren't winning those battles, not yet, not with what they've been doing and what we've been doing.

He's the closest recruiter to these guys though so those recruits like Mullen he should identify so they don't blow up somewhere like IU. I'm with you on that. As for his power to recruit who he wants, only the staff knows how much say he has in it.

Advertisement
I don’t know about elite but at least solidify us and everything else you’ve mentioned is how I see it.

On defense, we could use help recruiting CB’s & LB’s and we need ST’s coaching as well. LCE’s mentioned it before. At any other major program, Patke is a grad assistant. How is DVD not in Patke’s current role, just looking at staff internally?

I guess it depends what your opinion of elite is. If we could reel in the kind of class we had last year, after the most embarrassing 6-7 season that I’ve ever witnessed, I’m confident we could take that next step. Especially we replace our weakest recruiter with a strong recruiter but maybe that’s just me. I tend to lean towards optimism during the off-season lol.

I agree about DVD. I think he could be a potential stud recruiter.

I've heard from a local coach convo that Rumph is not allowed to pick his recruits, dont know how true it is beacuse all kinds of rumors are flying, but one coach said thats how it is at a lot of schools so it shouldnt be an excuse.

I guess it depends what your opinion of elite is. If we could reel in the kind of class we had last year, after the most embarrassing 6-7 season that I’ve ever witnessed, I’m confident we could take that next step. Especially we replace our weakest recruiter with a strong recruiter but maybe that’s just me. I tend to lean towards optimism during the off-season lol.

I agree about DVD. I think he could be a potential stud recruiter.
Yeah, I was very happy with our class given our season. Hard to complain about top 15 or so after 6-7. We can complain about 6-7 but our class way out-performed our season.

Advertisement
Back