6.4 Ivins Update

Advertisement
Miami doesn't know what they want at CB, and you can tell by the Jaden Davis/Asante Samuel Jr/Elam/Mullens miss alone. We literally could've had all 3 of them, and we slow played every last one like we had the best CBs in the nation lined up. I'm starting to believe Diaz philosophy on Defense doesn't care about CB play. We going after WRs and turning them into CBs... That alone tells me... DL and Safety play is the Philosophy. Put pressure on the QB... CB just be somewhat good don't get burned deep. Keep your man in front of you... The Safety will do the rest. Even LB recruiting confuse me.

I’m not saying Rumph in any way has done a great job lol I’m saying that I disagree that Miami should have double the depth at corner. Not many teams are 14 corners deep. I’m with you on the fact that Miami should have a couple more kids to use. When you say we shouldn’t move a free safety over that free safety is 170 pounds and athletic. He may play inside and outside.

Overall, He needs to do better but i’m actually surprised how the last two classes have been.

My take on Rumph is that he's an "old school" cane that came up the hard way and still remembers what it took for him to be successful. I still remember his reaction to Henderson at an Orlando al-star game when Henderson flacked out because he wasn't starting and wanted to leave. He told him " a real cane doesn't behave like that" (or something to that effect). Henderson flipped to the Gators shortly there after. He just doesn't relate well to divas.

This May be true!

This May be true!

ill Speak on Chris Henderson, I was told Chris picked the team he felt most comfortable with, Which was obviously Florida. he made an educated decision that if the coaching staffs that recruited him got fired (which lol both did) he picked the school that fit him.

Advertisement
I don't think that is the issue. I think it is he may find player A, high 4 star kid from Cali or OOS who has legit interest in UM that he wants to recruit and is told no, or to hold off, or wait because they want to go after Player B, also a high 4 star kid but a local kid who doesn't have much interest in UM. He is not an elite recruiter so he can't make up the ground after starting behind the 8ball and is left pulling a rabbit out of the hat last minute.

Again, I am not disagreeing with your hypothetical.

I am simply pointing out that MOST CRITICISM of Rumph is that he has missed on the 4 and 5 star guys from SoFla. I don't think anyone is ripping Rumph for missing out on the California DB that the Gaytors signed (and who has since transferred to USC).

I could certainly understand Rumph "needing Manny's sign-off" would be problematic in recruiting OOS kids, but my question, again, was what Florida blue-chip kids has Rumph missed out on because we offered late?

I can't think of a single one. Now, personality mismatches, sure. But late offers, no.

We keep taking transfers and grad transfers at cb because the depth continues to be a mess, caused by Rumph missing so much. The numbers have been off since he’s been here, luckily we’ve avoided multiple injuries in a season or it could be really bad.

We had five cb’s last year , that’s so insane I can’t even wrap my head around it. After the first three guys we had two true FR, one being very undersized. They had no choice to play the three guys because there was nobody else lol. How could you bench a guy for bad play when there’s nobody left?

It’s just crazy.

I agree with you, I'm just trying to divide the problem up into its two (seemingly) primary parts:

1. Rumph missing out on top-top SoFla blue-chippers - is it a Miami problem (kids pick Bama/Clemson over UM because UM has sucked) or is it a Rumph problem? I think we know the answer on Henderson, not sure on all the other top guys.

2. Rumph missing out on lower-rated guys, maybe it's not spotting the talent, maybe it's Manny not letting him pull the trigger, again, is there anything UM is doing which hinders Rumph?

Again, we know that Rumph is old-school, not very touch-feely with the recruits. OK, but there have been a lot of tuff-guy coaches in the past. So then we have to figure out how Miami can maximize Rumph's (limited) recruiting abilities.

CIS porsters have TENDED to criticize Rumph more for reason #1 above, but I can also see where #2 enters in as well.

Just trying to have a rational, logical discussion on this issue, without immediately starting out with "Rumph sucks".

He was on twitter just before Jacoby news came out so maybe somethings in the works. I saw on a Canes fan page on Facebook a guy claiming to have a little inside knowledge about the Palmetto 5 and said he’s thinking it’s looking good with them.

We're recruiting Safeties because we could potentially lose all 3 of our upperclassmen after this season.

Carter graduates no matter what & if Hall or Bolden have good season both will declare (NOT saying they should or they will, just that they could), which would leave us with 4 on the roster.

We also have the Hybrid Nickel position which uses both Safeties & LB's, so because of scheme versatility we need depth at Safety. Our Defense is predicated on Safety play on the backend both in the passing game & run game, so you always need at least 3 guys who can play back there.

Also Banda does a good job recruiting S's, so if we can land talent then fúck it stack chips. If I were Diaz I'd put him on CB's too, but that's another thread for another day.

Wisdom.

Listen and learn.

Advertisement
Why is that surprising? This whole Amari-Daniels-is-slow/bad narrative really should stop. He ran a 11.02 100m as a freshman (that's flying) and his junior highlights show him exploding away from the best high school comp in the nayshun.

Have people actually watched his junior film? Because the narrative seems to be based on his (admittedly underwhelming) sophomore tape. His junior stuff looks better than yulkeith browns junior highlights and nobody has a problem with him.

What Amari lacks is lower body strength. That is easy to work on
preachhhhh

The most egregious miss might end up being Tiawan Mullen, having not even offered or recruited him for him to go on to be a B1G Freshman all American.

And I'm not blaming that on Rumph, Idk if it was his decision to not offer him or not, but a kid like that shouldn't be ballin at a place like Indiana when we need Corners & he was in our backyard.

Then there's guys like Jaden Davis, Divaad Wilson & Jarques McClellion who have all played well at P5 schools & were kids we either didn't recruit much or simply overlooked. All 3 are slotted to have really good seasons this year as well, so it magnifies the misses.

I don't even hold the CJ Hendo, Wilson or the AH kids against Rumph, while we could've got at least one of'em I'm not sure short of dropping off a big bag of cash to any one of them what he could've done to get them to sign with Miami. Missing on Elam will hurt because he's another kid set for a big breakout season & looks to be a future 1st rounder, but again can't really overcome the family UF ties in that situation.

Now with all that said, no one on the board is a bigger fan of Blades than me, I put him in the same grouping of guys I mentioned earlier as being expected to have a big breakout year, I've posted in multiple threads what I think of Al Jr so I give Rumph credit for that.

I also like the potential of guys like Christian Williams, Tecory Couch & Marcus Clarke. I'm not all the sold on Dunson yet, but it's too inconclusive to make any definitive opinions on him now, but I hope they all work out to be ballers & play really well for us.

Again, I think the problem with the Rumph discussion is it always turns into a tug of war between two extremes, it's not that simple IMO. He's neither terrible or great, and you can like the CB's we do have while still being disappointed we didn't get some of the other ones we missed on.

To me it's more nuanced than anyone on the board ever wants to make it out to be so it just becomes a bash vs defend battle when it's more complicated than that.

I didnt even want to name the guys you named. Flat out...me and you can develop a better cb board than they can RIGHT NOW with out the resources they have.

There's guys out there to land....Land them from anywhere if your struggling to BAGS, Tradition, PU$$y, winning or whatever else excuse....if my job depends on the talent i have i know **** well im not gonna sit on my hands. Hence me not always ragging on Banda in the recruiting department...because he works...if he strikes out..that dude gonna strike out 100 times. Because hes gonna line up a whole bunch of kids.

For example..go check it out but Missouri has came into the state this year so far and have committed 2 kids that we should honestly be atleast mildly recruiting. ..MISSOURI

I agree with almost all of that.

My thing is this, people like to point out the elites he misses and I believe I've said my piece on that.

Taiwan Mullen everyone missed on. I'm not going to hold anyone to that as if anyone decent believed, he wouldn't be at IU.

Jaden Davis, another elite school.

Wilson, another elite school.

We aren't winning those battles, not yet, not with what they've been doing and what we've been doing.

He's the closest recruiter to these guys though so those recruits like Mullen he should identify so they don't blow up somewhere like IU. I'm with you on that. As for his power to recruit who he wants, only the staff knows how much say he has in it.

Boy got excuses locked an loaded. We are beating out some of those schools at other positions.

Taiwan Mullen is from Broward County...played at a school that has produced enough guys that would make you look...its your job to look an identify...me and LCE had the kid tabbed to be a solid player. Jaden Davis and Wilson were there for the take early on.

Boy got excuses locked an loaded. We are beating out some of those schools at other positions.

Taiwan Mullen is from Broward County...played at a school that has produced enough guys that would make you look...its your job to look an identify...me and LCE had the kid tabbed to be a solid player. Jaden Davis and Wilson were there for the take early on.

You can call them excuses, I'll call them reality.

Good on you and LCE, but every coach at any semi decent school missed Mullen. It happens, but if he was some surefire player under the radar, he would've gotten picked up by someone other than IU. How in the heck does some great prospect end up there?

Wilson and Davis, great, there for the take early on. What in the world does that even mean? They both ended up at two CFB BCS powerhouses. So they commit early and those two keep recruiting, our season goes down the tubes, then what?

Beating out those schools is far from the norm. We beat out some of them for the 4 stars we got at the position in question. I asked for a list of all the guys we whiffed on and where they went. You essentially did my work for me. You brought one guy that you liked who nobody recruited.

Respect you brother, but that talk doesn't make sense. Want to make an argument for picking up some guys in place of others, you've got some legs there. Getting in someone like Samuals late, agree again. The rest, it's just like you forgot who we are and think we should get player x, y, and z because they're local. That doesn't matter when you're fighting bigs and you suck. That's just the real my man.

Advertisement
I've heard from a local coach convo that Rumph is not allowed to pick his recruits, dont know how true it is beacuse all kinds of rumors are flying, but one coach said thats how it is at a lot of schools so it shouldnt be an excuse.
patke picked the curtis kid but all the fans see cb and jump on rumph for the take. Apparently patke liked him and went to his boys diaz and etc and got them to ok the offer

You can call them excuses, I'll call them reality.

Good on you and LCE, but every coach at any semi decent school missed Mullen. It happens, but if he was some surefire player under the radar, he would've gotten picked up by someone other than IU. How in the heck does some great prospect end up there?

Wilson and Davis, great, there for the take early on. What in the world does that even mean? They both ended up at two CFB BCS powerhouses. So they commit early and those two keep recruiting, our season goes down the tubes, then what?

Beating out those schools is far from the norm. We beat out some of them for the 4 stars we got at the position in question. I asked for a list of all the guys we whiffed on and where they went. You essentially did my work for me. You brought one guy that you liked who nobody recruited.

Respect you brother, but that talk doesn't make sense. Want to make an argument for picking up some guys in place of others, you've got some legs there. Getting in someone like Samuals late, agree again. The rest, it's just like you forgot who we are and think we should get player x, y, and z because they're local. That doesn't matter when you're fighting bigs and you suck. That's just the real my man.

Like i said if you want to be a cuck...thats your preference..other schools are working. The whoa is me talk doesnt make sense in that case...should just fold this ****.

Mullen ended up at IU because they RECRUITED him well. Chose them over Pitt,KSU, Nebraska.
I mean you can down play it all you want and claim big schools, bags,etc...but me personally i would land...1 kid that i coached since they were 9. That right there alone shouldve let you know their true thoughts of him as a coach. **** us as a program...they didnt think he was good enough to take them to the next level. I mean sh*t Banda in the same time beat out Bama for a kid as well, why is that?. And turned around this cycle and beat out UF for a player from their recruiting grounds?. HOW is that remotely possible in your theory of fighting bigs and you suck?.

They didnt even push for Divaad or Jaden Davis so your opinion there is null and void. Beating out at soflo defensive player over Oklahoma isnt hard at all cut the sh*t. You must be new to recruiting.

Advertisement
Y’all can say what y’all want, but the numbers don’t lie. Blades has been better than all those 4&5* corners y’all keep b!tching about except for Henderson. The kid has been elite and it’s a **** shame no one has given him credit because we suck and because he has not had a ton of picks. A lot of corners get picks not cause they are good, but cause the QBs are bad lol. Either way, he has locked mufakkas down! All while being subbed in and out by our stupid @ss coaches! Ivey should not have shared time with this kid. Ivey has been horrible. He is always in good position, but never gets his head around and gets victimized. But don’t act like PS2 them boys are doing a lot more right now. Samuels has been good though. Next year is when we will be able to tell how all these guys have panned our. They’ve all had plenty of experience and time to put it all together. Then we can judge how they all panned out.

The most egregious miss might end up being Tiawan Mullen, having not even offered or recruited him for him to go on to be a B1G Freshman all American.

And I'm not blaming that on Rumph, Idk if it was his decision to not offer him or not, but a kid like that shouldn't be ballin at a place like Indiana when we need Corners & he was in our backyard.

Then there's guys like Jaden Davis, Divaad Wilson & Jarques McClellion who have all played well at P5 schools & were kids we either didn't recruit much or simply overlooked. All 3 are slotted to have really good seasons this year as well, so it magnifies the misses.

I don't even hold the CJ Hendo, Wilson or the AH kids against Rumph, while we could've got at least one of'em I'm not sure short of dropping off a big bag of cash to any one of them what he could've done to get them to sign with Miami. Missing on Elam will hurt because he's another kid set for a big breakout season & looks to be a future 1st rounder, but again can't really overcome the family UF ties in that situation.

Now with all that said, no one on the board is a bigger fan of Blades than me, I put him in the same grouping of guys I mentioned earlier as being expected to have a big breakout year, I've posted in multiple threads what I think of Al Jr so I give Rumph credit for that.

I also like the potential of guys like Christian Williams, Tecory Couch & Marcus Clarke. I'm not all the sold on Dunson yet, but it's too inconclusive to make any definitive opinions on him now, but I hope they all work out to be ballers & play really well for us.

Again, I think the problem with the Rumph discussion is it always turns into a tug of war between two extremes, it's not that simple IMO. He's neither terrible or great, and you can like the CB's we do have while still being disappointed we didn't get some of the other ones we missed on.

To me it's more nuanced than anyone on the board ever wants to make it out to be so it just becomes a bash vs defend battle when it's more complicated than that.

Awesome post man. I remember Mullen in that high school all star game looking like the best overall player on the field and was shocked he was going to Indiana. After that one instance (I know it’s just an all star game) it wasn’t surprising to see him do so well his first year.

Agreed completely on Rumph.

Miami doesn't know what they want at CB, and you can tell by the Jaden Davis/Asante Samuel Jr/Elam/Mullens miss alone. We literally could've had all 3 of them, and we slow played every last one like we had the best CBs in the nation lined up. I'm starting to believe Diaz philosophy on Defense doesn't care about CB play. We going after WRs and turning them into CBs... That alone tells me... DL and Safety play is the Philosophy. Put pressure on the QB... CB just be somewhat good don't get burned deep. Keep your man in front of you... The Safety will do the rest. Even LB recruiting confuse me.

Diaz has stated on multiple occasions that pressure and the safety is the most important part of his defense. Why are we surprised that he hasn’t focused on CB?

go back to when he was first hired at DC he talks about safeties all the time. They cleanup the mistakes and are the most important piece to his D. There’s a reason our D was great when Jaquan was in the field. He was elite and cleaned up everything on the back end

Isnt the story with Jaden Davis was Miami was his #1 but his Pops wanted him to take some more visits. Manny and Rumph pretty much told him and his pops he needs to commit now or they are taking Couch's flip commitment. He didnt commit and they went ahead and Green lighted Couch to commit.

Also with Samual, Rumph pushed and Pushed Manny to allow him to offer and Manny wouldnt allow it until the very end.

And lets not forget Keelee Ringo and the other corner from Mater Dei via IMG Academy. They both wanted to commit to Miami as sophomores but was told no and not even offered because Manny told Rumph to concentrate on Florida corners only.

Its like Rumph is not allowed to recruit his players until it is scramble mood.

Advertisement
Back