6.4 Ivins Update

Guy is Captain Hedge so TFWIW:
  • Thinks Brinson is leaning Miami with A&M the biggest threat (no mention of UGA). Will be updating Crystal Ball in next few days
  • Miami still pushing for Alexis and Brashard Smith. Hard to see Alexis committing to Texas sight unseen and Miami is recruiting Smith the hardest.
  • Staff is open to taking a second running back, thus the interest in Amari Daniels. A&M and Penn State are biggest competition.
  • Communication has picked up significantly with Thomas Davis.
  • Kam Kinchens believed to be down to Miami and Auburn with Miami holding the edge as of now.
  • Staff talking to Jardin Gilbert from Louisiana and still chasing James Williams and Terrion Arnold.
  • Lashlee in contact with Jake Garcia but USC ppl think he sticks ultimately.
  • Nothing new to report on Jarrid Williams but staff is still optimistic.
  • Leonard Taylor feeling 'most wanted' but Miami, UF and Tennessee

Kiss of death

Advertisement
That horse has been beaten to death & I genuinely hate how a thread can derail in a split second at the mere mention of Rumph, so I really hope that doesn't happen here because it's not necessary.

We all know what it is at this point. Also have to keep in mind we still have a chance to land Markevious Brown or get a late flip like we've done the last 2 classes, that's not ideal, but it's just our reality now.

At the end of the day there's still time, so maybe it'll work out in our favor with a good season.
Particularly the derail part.

We're recruiting Safeties because we could potentially lose all 3 of our upperclassmen after this season.

Carter graduates no matter what & if Hall or Bolden have good season both will declare (NOT saying they should or they will, just that they could), which would leave us with 4 on the roster.

We also have the Hybrid Nickel position which uses both Safeties & LB's, so because of scheme versatility we need depth at Safety. Our Defense is predicated on Safety play on the backend both in the passing game & run game, so you always need at least 3 guys who can play back there.

Also Banda does a good job recruiting S's, so if we can land talent then fúck it stack chips. If I were Diaz I'd put him on CB's too, but that's another thread for another day.

Thanks for the background!! Really appreciate it.
Makes me even more glad we got Ed Reed back in the building

Advertisement
Couple things! Liberty City, your knowledge is one of the reasons I am posting here. Thank you and look forward to future discussions.

Brinson to Georgia has legs. Their Bag man is legit. Who knows what happens there. Kitchens and Auburn scares me.

I don’t know why, but so feel confident Miami will land a couple of more quality receivers even if we lose Brinson.

The Maryland Safety that Reed found is legit! I want Kitchens badly! and with both he and Brinson winning may help no matter what they do. But this staff has shown me so far that they realize you go hard for these kids and have out of state kids ready who are talented. Previous staffs made the mistake of going all in and leaving alone from the dance.

None of what he posted is anything more then what the posters here in the know have mentioned lol. And it’s free

I'll admit I was despairing a little on the Brinson, Alexis, Kitchens front. Nice to see we're not conceding and have a shot to land them, along with Taylor. ... On the OT transfer, I guess we'll just have to wait until first day of practice to know. It's still our biggest weakness for 2020, so would love it if we landed him.

Advertisement
The most surprising part of the whole article was that Ivins said that Amari Daniels ran one of the fastest 40’s in FLA before the camps got cut out

Why is that surprising? This whole Amari-Daniels-is-slow/bad narrative really should stop. He ran a 11.02 100m as a freshman (that's flying) and his junior highlights show him exploding away from the best high school comp in the nayshun.

Have people actually watched his junior film? Because the narrative seems to be based on his (admittedly underwhelming) sophomore tape. His junior stuff looks better than yulkeith browns junior highlights and nobody has a problem with him.

What Amari lacks is lower body strength. That is easy to work on

Why is that surprising? This whole Amari-Daniels-is-slow/bad narrative really should stop. He ran a 11.02 100m as a freshman (that's flying) and his junior highlights show him exploding away from the best high school comp in the nayshun.

Have people actually watched his junior film? Because the narrative seems to be based on his (admittedly underwhelming) sophomore tape. His junior stuff looks better than yulkeith browns junior highlights and nobody has a problem with him.
I never thought he was slow honestly, but I’ve never seen him play in person so I just assumed that those saying that he was slow knew better than me. I’m all for taking him as a second RB I think he’s one of the best in FL. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I never thought he was slow honestly, but I’ve never seen him play in person so I just assumed that those saying that he was slow knew better than me. I’m all for taking him as a second RB I think he’s one of the best in FL. 🤷🏽‍♂️

He wasnt very impressive his sophomore year. People seem to be stuck on that impression.

Advertisement
For some reason, posters on here are using the Joe Yearby attribution property when they think of Daniels but they are completely different players

Said it before, but Daniels looks more like a smaller Antwain Easterling to me. Much better speed/explosion than Joe had.

I mean, Daniels is not going to make or break oor class and I won't be crying myself to sleep if he doesn't come here. But he would be a very nice, dynamic weapon in a Lashlee offense. The ACC would hate having to play him.

Advertisement
No one has ever said he was slow, if they did they simply didn't know what they were talking about.

Daniels issues are not speed, he has very fast straight line speed, but he doesn't have good lateral quickness & hasn't shown a lot of wiggle/agility in his cuts. He's also physically not very big & hasn't really developed in that sense.

He doesn't have good contact balance & hasn't really shown he can run through traffic on a consistent basis.

What Daniels is as of now, is an undersized speedster back, he has some ability but he really hasn't lived up to the billing as an elite caliber South FL back like he's always been touted to be. Now, possibly he could end up playing much better than he has his Senior year, but until now he's been mostly overrated.

With that said, if Hickson wants him I trust his judgment & am good with it, he can be a good speed back & used as a change of pace player in certain packages. He's just not a workhorse style back that you can build an offense around, he's a piece that you can use in multiple ways.

Said it before, but Daniels looks more like a smaller Antwain Easterling to me. Much better speed/explosion than Joe had.

I mean, Daniels is not going to make or break oor class and I won't be crying myself to sleep if he doesn't come here. But he would be a very nice, dynamic weapon in a Lashlee offense. The ACC would hate having to play him.
He doesn't have Easterling's power & raw explosion, Antwain was a pure dawg, had way better balance & was much bigger than Daniels.

Daniels is more of a Willie Geter type than Twain.

No one has ever said he was slow, if they did they simply didn't know what they were talking about.

On another thread, someone said they "worry about his long speed". I´ll have to see if I can find the quote.

Daniels issues are not speed, he has very fast straight line speed, but he doesn't have good lateral quickness & hasn't shown a lot of wiggle/agility in his cuts. He's also physically not very big & hasn't really developed in that sense.

He doesn't have good contact balance & hasn't really shown he can run through traffic on a consistent basis.

I have to respectfully disagree on part of that, and agree with another part. With the caveat that you will have seen a lot more of him (full games), and up close at that, while I´m just going off highlights. Which can be deceiving as we all know.

But in said highlights Daniels shows a lot of subtle but dynamic and very effective cuts (albeit only in the open field, I don´t recall him doing it in traffic/at the LOS but will check again). Those cuts and his speed are exactly what reminds me of Antwain. Smaller and nothing like the power, but that still leaves a player who can be a very nice complimentary back in a rotation.

Yeah! Easterling was 195-200 pound explosive back with power. He was a work horse. Not seeing that comparison. But not trying to sound like a jerk either.

We will see what happens here. At Georgia, with how they recruit, i can’t see Brinson being the kid they wanna spend on! Not saying he isn’t a good talent because he is. But looking at their board, and knowing there is a 25 player cap, I can’t see it. I would continue to re recruit the heck out of him either way. I can see Auburn sending the bag for Kitchens.

Advertisement
Back