2023 Roster Discussion

So what's the rotation looking like? Ligon, Ziehl, transfer arm? Freshman?
Those two would be my odds on favorites. Otherwise, I guess we’ll see. The best case remains Rosario finally getting out of his head and taking the other spot. He could probably use a sports psychologist more than summer ball.

Advertisement
I’d still assume he’s going pro, and it’s possible Gino couldn’t or wouldn’t wait to find out before filling his spot.
Ya, I didn't realize the portal deadline was before the draft. And I guess he may not be hearing what he wants to hear on his draft status/round.

Ya, I didn't realize the portal deadline was before the draft. And I guess he may not be hearing what he wants to hear on his draft status/round.
He should probably try to get a spot on the Cape for a few weeks like Smith and Fed did last summer

Like I said…a few surprises could put next season in an early tailspin.

Alex is a big time talent who with some fine tuning is a Friday starter.

McFarlane has the best stuff and biggest upside on the staff if you ask me.

Last edited:
And don’t be surprised if there are 2-3 more. These kids see they aren’t being developed. Some of it is on them but if you aren’t providing them the right tools they will only go so far.

Advertisement
Mac will sign IMO. Starting to feel like Walters will as well. Were gonna be short on pitching if we don’t sign a bunch of guys from the portal.

Those two would be my odds on favorites. Otherwise, I guess we’ll see. The best case remains Rosario finally getting out of his head and taking the other spot. He could probably use a sports psychologist more than summer ball.
I’m done with him… if he wants to pay his own way on scholly and be the long reliever out of the pen and MAYBE the weekday guy

Advertisement
Any chance JD Jones becomes the full time catcher? I like his upside more than what I’ve seen from Perez

McFarlane's lasting memory will be that 2B to right center against Ole ****

McFarlane's lasting memory will be that 2B to right center against Ole ****
Not his fault that we didn't have a coach and offense who couldn't manufacture a run or two prior to that. Let's get real - outside of Ligon, pitching was not our problem. We scored four runs in the last two games of a regional when most teams across the country scored that many in 1 inning of every game they played. And Palm shut down an offense that scored 22 runs in their next game.

How about we tell the head coach, hitting coach and position players to look in the mirror first. I don't know who makes the starting pitching decisions, but we're about to lose our second Top 5 - 6 round pitcher to MLB, both of whom had virtually no meaningful impact on their college team - smh.

Timmy Manning in the portal, underwhelming year but still an intriguing prospect in my mind.

Advertisement
Timmy Manning in the portal, underwhelming year but still an intriguing prospect in my mind.
Yikes. His WHIP and BAVG are in Rosario territory.
GIF by Zack Kantor

Does anyone know of a site that lists all the players in the portal? D1 Baseball has it but it’s behind a pay wall.

Does anyone know of a site that lists all the players in the portal? D1 Baseball has it but it’s behind a pay wall.
I don’t think it’s public information. I’m guessing any site that tracks it, will be subscription based.

Advertisement
So we set with Rosario occupying a rotation spot? I’m looking for some indication from the staff we’re not content with what’s in the cupboard at present and haven’t heard a thing.
I think Ligon, Ziehl, (although the closer is an option) and Crowther. Very likely a solid transfer will be in the mix. And I think Schlesinger will be an option as well.

I think Ligon, Ziehl, (although the closer is an option) and Crowther. Very likely a solid transfer will be in the mix. And I think Schlesinger will be an option as well.
I had pegged them putting Ziehl at the back end because of the way he flashed this season. Interesting thought on Schlesinger, I’m intrigued to see him stretched out to starters’ length for more than a northeast HS season (I don’t pay much attention to where the kids play/what they do in travel ball so I don’t know what/how he did in that capacity).

But looking forward to every addition we make.

Advertisement
Back