2023 Roster Discussion

Way Too Early '23 Projected Lineup (w/ backups).

This is the power lineup version. Yes, my anger hasn't subsided at how badly Pitelli hurt the team in the final stretch and the playoffs so I'm hoping Cyr challenges him by being the better bat. Torres can play both corner infield spots. Rosario has to prove he can pitch at the D1 level for a whole season.

1B Kayfus/Jason Torres
2B Garcia/Dorian Gonzalez
3B Morales/Jason Torres
CF Bayou Burke/Martin
LF Farrow/Villegas
RF Levenson/Carrier
SS Cyr/Pitelli
C JD Jones/Some portal guy/Perez
DH Carrier/Martin

Friday Starter: Walters
Saturday: Ziehl
Sunday: Ligon
Midweek: Crowther

Advertisement

This is the power lineup version. Yes, my anger hasn't subsided at how badly Pitelli hurt the team in the final stretch and the playoffs so I'm hoping Cyr challenges him by being the better bat. Torres can play both corner infield spots. Rosario has to prove he can pitch at the D1 level for a whole season.

1B Kayfus/Jason Torres
3B Morales/Jason Torres
CF Bayou Burke/Martin
LF Farrow/Villegas
RF Levenson/Carrier
SS Cyr/Pitelli
DH Carrier/Martin

Not too shabby. Hope you are right on Burke.

Who do you think closes - Gallo?

Advertisement
Did he even get drafted I don’t remember if he did?

Disappointing as I had him penned in as a starter
He was drafted in the 11th after being projected as high as the 4th at one point. Looks like CWS threw some decent bonus pool money his way. We'll find out soon. I thought he'd be back too.

7of the team's 10 outfielders have some experience at this level.

Burke will be missed but there are options from which to choose:

Long
Farrow
Levenson
Villegas
Carrier
Gutierrez
Gonzalez

Bermudez
Martin
Guevara

Advertisement

1B Kayfus/Jason Torres
3B Morales/Jason Torres
CF Bayou Burke/Martin
LF Farrow/Villegas
RF Levenson/Carrier
SS Cyr/Pitelli
DH Carrier/Martin

That lineup is solid. A bit slow and unathletic in spots, but that's to be expected given our recruiting philosophy.

Unfortunately, however, you missed one:

HC Gino DiMare

That will kill us for sure

Palmquist was suited to make the jump from closer to Friday starter. But can we say the same for Walt? When the "best closer in the country" gets drafted but returns to school for another season, should we automatically remove him from that role without a great replacement option? Starting pitching would need to develop fast but Walters, Ziehl, Gallo, Rafe on the back end is pretty strong going into next season. Since our staff is so young overall, would it not make sense to have veterans available for thse high-leverage situations at the end of games? Ziehl was solid all year but blew it late against Zona. That's just not an ideal spot for a true freshman.

I didn't realize until I looked at his Perfect Game profile just how good of an athlete Villegas is: 6.5 in the 60 and 95 MPH from the OF. If there isn't another transfer, I'm thinking Villegas will be in CF next year with Farrow in LF and Carrier in RF

I didn't realize until I looked at his Perfect Game profile just how good of an athlete Villegas is: 6.5 in the 60 and 95 MPH from the OF. If there isn't another transfer, I'm thinking Villegas will be in CF next year with Farrow in LF and Carrier in RF
There’s a kid from PR who was committed to FIU that KC (I believe) just signed undrafted, L/L, haven’t looked into him much for a comparison (I will tomorrow) but my first thought when I saw it was how fortunate the program was that the undrafted signing bonus was capped where it was when Villegas came through, wholly different set of circumstances between the player and timing of course but Villegas was my first thought when I saw that signing listed, for what it’s worth.

Advertisement
We lost some really good players...but have some outstanding ones coming in and everyone will be a year older.

Some of it obviously falls on the players to get better....but this will be another year where our development will either show up clearly or lack of development will show up clearly. Carrier is the guy I want to see...He has some big time talent. But he was really raw. I want to see a better OF and his pitch selection improve. A few of our younger arms have some legit stuff. But need to take that next step from 1 good outing 1 bad outing, or **** 1-2 good innings then implode.

Palmquist was suited to make the jump from closer to Friday starter. But can we say the same for Walt? When the "best closer in the country" gets drafted but returns to school for another season, should we automatically remove him from that role without a great replacement option? Starting pitching would need to develop fast but Walters, Ziehl, Gallo, Rafe on the back end is pretty strong going into next season. Since our staff is so young overall, would it not make sense to have veterans available for thse high-leverage situations at the end of games? Ziehl was solid all year but blew it late against Zona. That's just not an ideal spot for a true freshman.
I hear ya on the freshmen in late inning situations, but are you comfortable w Ligon as your only returning player in the rotation? And it's probably a moot point anyway, because I don't think Walters returns unless he is promised a shot at a weekend rotation spot.

Advertisement
@IndayArtHauz I think this calls for the AOD gif
angel of death GIF

Rosario.....not the most confident bloke but could the closer role suit him?

Advertisement
Back